Eye Care Expert Forum
Eye Soreness
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Eye Soreness

Hi.  I hope you can provide some insight into my problem.  About two weeks ago I was having bad headaches, usually around and behind my eyes.  I went to my opthamologist and he could find nothing wrong with my eyes and recommended I see my physician about a possible sinus infection.  I did so and he has prescribed an anti-biotic and a decongestant, which I have been on for about three days.  It has helped the headaches, but I find that I am now experiencing sharp pain in my eyes...nothing constant, but an occasional "jolt" every now and then.  Even when there is no pain, they tend to feel heavy or tired, like they are having trouble focusing.  My vision has not actually been impaired, and since that is the case my doctor suggested that the decongestant which is drying up my sinuses could be causing my eyes to dry up as well.  His solution:  drink lots of water.  I checked the listed side effects of the medication and it did not include dry eyes.
  My questions are:  1)  Is this a common occurrence with strong decongestants;  and 2)  Could there be some other underlying cause for the eye problems besides my sinuses that my opthamologist could have missed?  His exam was pretty thorough.
  Thanks for your time.