Eye Care Expert Forum
Eye exam and brain tumor

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye exam and brain tumor
Are eye doctors/optometrists trained to detect for potential brain tumors from an eye exam? I read somewhere that optometrists can see pressure on the optic nerves during a retina exam, which can indicate a potential for brain tumors.

I'm asking since I have been experiencing some symptoms of brain tumor, and I'm quiet worry about them. But I am still trying to schedule to see a specialist and I'm not sure how long it will take.

I'm seeing my optometrist this Thursday and wanted to know if it makes any sense asking him about this.
Yes, I would definitely mention your concerns and he may very well order some special testing of your visual field for one thing.  In certain situations where there is obvious swelling of the optic nerves or a certain type of loss of visual field, it is possible for optometrists and ophthalmologist to help to discover brain tumors, by ordering and MRI or CT scan on patiens with suspicious signs.  Again, tell your doctor about your symptoms and concerns and consider seeing an ophthalmologist if your symptoms persists.  Of course, make sure to see your primary care doctor.

MIchael Kutryb, MD