Eye Care Expert Forum
Eye/eyes won't open

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye/eyes won't open
I have no eye twitching! I have no eye blurness or vision problems! I have no eye pain except the discomfort of trying to open my eyes when I first wake up. This only happens when I am sleeping and when I first wake up that my eye will not open for a few seconds to a few minutes. This problem came on very suddenly as I have never had any problems like this before and started with just one eye and now both eyes at times will not open when I first wake up. I have taken eye drops for dry eyes and I really do not think it is just that the way this came on so suddenly and have been experiencing this for a few weeks now. The eye drops are not helping, either! This is not from lack of sleep as I sleep very well and even knowing how much this bothers me will not prevent me from falling asleep and yet I will not fall asleep unless I am trying to. I have only read a few others that experienced this but they had eye twitching which I do not have. What can this be?
It could be exposure keratitis due to the lids separating slightly during sleep or it could be maile recurrent corneal erosions.These two problems can co-exist. use the search feature to look up previous discussions.

Try genteal gel in both eyes at bed time, in am splash eyes with warm water then put in a good artifical tear like systane or opteve.

If still have problem try
Refresh PM ointment in both eyes at bedtime.

JCH I IMD
Thanks so much! I got the gel you recommended the first day you posted it. I was surprised that first night after using it that I could tell some difference that quickly! The eye that has been the longest not opening when I wake up is still having some problems opening but not as bad and the other eye that just started having problems is a lot better already. It's a great relief to be able to have atleast one eye to open up while the other one hopefully will be all better, too, soon. Again, I really did not expect any relief that quickly so it was a nice surprise. Thanks again and for taking time to be here to answer our questions.
You are welcome.
JCH MD