Eye Care Community
Eye film and floater
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Eye film and floater

I am 72 years old and have suddenly developed a light black film in my left eye with a large floater that looks like a large looped black thread.  It moves with eye movement but when the eye doesn't move the floater stands still across the whole view of eye. Also, every so often if I look to the left with my left eye I will see a quick flash in the left corner of the eye.   Is this something that I should wait to see if it gets better on its own or should I seek medical help.  I have never been troubled with floaters.  Thank you.
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Yes you should see an ophthalmologist. It most likely is a posterior vitreous detachment (use archives and search to read about) but need to rule out bleeding in eye or retinal tear/detachment

JCH MD
Blank
I have many floaters. Went to Opthamologist to have eyes cheched. He said my eyes are healthy and no retinal detachment. He checked and checked again but could not see any floaters. I saw and episode of the doctors and one of their guest M.D.'s  Dr.Wachler said floaters may be due to eye film debris. What is your opinion if the doctor can't see them but they do exist. John
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Many floaters, especially those close to the retina are too small for the ophthalmologist to see but easily seen by the person in whose eye they reside.
JCH MD
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank