Eye Care Community
Eye glare

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Eye glare

Hi.. I'm new to this forum so just wanted to start by saying hi.

Basically, I wanted your opinions about my condition.

For the past two years i've been experience some wierd problems with my eyes. I can focus ok on what i immediately look at but the rest seems to be unclear. i went and had a visual field test done and it came back clear. All well and good but there's still something wrong. Apart from what seems to be my peripheral vision slowly fading i also feel like i've been staring at a light for too long, but my eyes dont go back to normal. Or to better describe it, it feels like there's too much light coming into my eye and i can't see things clearly. It's really annoying, but not causing me pain.

What could be the cause of it? I find wearing sunglasses helps, but my vision is still a bit off. Also in the dark my eyes are quite bad aswell. i can still see but i still see this constant white glare in my eyes.. I visited a optometrist recently but he couldn't detect anything unusual..

Thanks.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello Kizzor,  Any time you mention problems with your peripheral visiion to an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) you will get their full attention. It's like walking into an emergency room and telling them you have chest pain. You move to the front of the line very quickly. There are some very serious things than can cause loss of peripheral vision.

While you have seen a limited eye care provider (optometrist), you need to see an ophthalmologist (a physician or MD that specializes in medical and surgical eye care and provides comprehensive care). Your visiual field will need to be rechecked perhaps with a more complex or sensitive testing program. While I'm not adverse to postulating a possible diagnosis when I have enough information, in your cases I would just be guessing. My advise is keep digging and see the Eye MD.

JCH MD Fellow American Academy of Ophthalmology
I am experiencing similar problems.  My peripheral vision is fine, but reading is very difficult, as it feels like I've been staring at a bright light and my eyes are adjusting, so I'm not able to see all words sharply.  I've spent today in emerg and have had a CT scan which returned clear results.  I'm not booked for an MRI and a session with Opthalmologist.  Neurologist has checked my eyes and says they look fine, but is puzzled as to what is going on.  I find it hard to focus on letters, the ones I want to read are blocked by what feels like glare, almost to the point of being blocked completely.  Reading on a computer screen (like this) is bad, and on an iphone is worse.  Anyone experience anything like this and had a diagnosis, or successful treatment?
to make the most of your effort I would suggest that when you see an ophthalmologist Eye MD you see a neuro-ophthalmologist as they are best trained for obscure and difficult to diagnose problems like you have.

you can ask your neurologist to refer you or if you live in USA can go to www.geteyesmart.org and find one near you

JCH MD