Eye injury & vision loss - any chance of possible surgery to regain eyesight?
My sis who is now 28 years old had an injury to her right eye when she was 4 years old, it was an enjury due to a stone that hit her eye & it damaged her eye & she lost her eyesight , she was operated immidiately but doctor informed that she can not have vision since the stone had damaged her black & white both the parts of her eye, we wonder after so many years , now that the science has developed to a great extent, is it possible for her to get her eyesight back, what procedure would she have to undergo, she is in India so what would be the procedure & cost of her getting the surgery done in the US, i need some serious information on this & would appreciate if you could help us out in this regards by guiding us on how we need to go about this, I am her sister & I live in Plano TX, having her vision back would change her life , kindly guide us , thank you
you understand that the purpose of these free forums is not to make specific diagnoses and pronouncements. Thus we can speak only in generalities. It is very unlikely that anything can be done to restore vision in the damaged eye. This is especially true if she has been evaluated in the past by competent ophthalmologist.

What should be done is to do everything possible to protect the remaining eye from disease or injury. This means a healthy lifestyle, not smoking, not getting obese, exercise, watching blood pressure, blood sugar, blood fats (lipids like cholesterol and triglycerides), having the eye examined yearly by an ophthalmologist, avoiding activities that have high chance of eye injury and wearing glasses to protect the good eye (safety goggles are need for things like mowing, weed-eaters, power tools).

There is a functioning and FDA approved artificial eye but it would only benefit individuals that are blind in both eyes.

JCH MD