Eye Care Community
Eye irritation and redness that won't go away

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I am a 19 year old female who has been wearing contacts for over 7 years, and has never had serious eye complications. About 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with conjunctivitis in both eyes.
For almost two months I had experienced symptoms of eye redness, and it felt as if I had a loose contact or eyelash floating around in my right eye. The severity of the irritation varied over the two moths. I did not think that I had an eye infection so I continued to wear my contacts, and the redness and irritation worsened. When I finally went have my eyes examined by an ophthalmologist, she said that the irritation was because the nerve endings in my eyes were exposed. While I have been taking Zymar drops for almost 3 weeks straight and wearing only glasses, my right eye still feels as if I have an eyelash in it. Is this just a really bad infection, or is something else going on with my eyes?
The eyelash feeling sensation is called a "foreign body sensation" and indicates a surface problem in you eye.   You need to see your ophthalmologist.

Dr. O.