Eye irritation because of stitches after eye surgery

I had a surgery for my retinal detachement with buckle and air bubble at the beginning of november 2010. One month after the surgery my eye is still very red and swollen and I feel pain like I have some nails in my eye specially since 3-4 days ago. My doctor says it is because of stitches and gave me Chloromycetin oil which hasn't helped and I even can't open my eye because of pain. I have some questions and I will be very grateful for any help.
My questions are:

1) Will stitches always remain in my eye or will they be absorbed after a while? In this case how long?

2) If they are not absorbed after a certain time, should they be removed?

3) Should the stitces holding the buckle be treated differently than the stitches used to cover the holes done for passing the surgery instuments into the eye? I mean if the buckle stitches have to remain to keep the buckle on its place while the other stiches can be removed?

Thanks for your help
1) This depends on the type of sutures.  Sutures that dissolve can be used to closed the openings into the eye for the pars plana vitrectomy. The current technique is to use sutureless pars plana vitrectomy openings.  2)  Depends--not a buckle suture. 3) yes.

Dr. O.