Eye Care Expert Forum
Eye lashes hair in eyes when sleeping

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye lashes hair in eyes when sleeping

I have very big and full of hair eye lashes. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning I find it hard to open one of my eyes. If I try - it would pain and a lot f water comes out. There is a feeling of irritation. When I check I find a little lash hair inside my eye (sometime I don't find the lash hair, I assume that washing face in the morning it comes off).

After taking out the hair out from my eye, the eye remains irritated, profusely watery and tries to close automatically. I got the redness and irritation relief drops from Rite Aide. It soothes the redness and irritation, but the pain and irritation continues for the whole day and after a night's sleep everything is fine the next morning.

Is this normal? Anything you suggest to prevent this? Could it be something else?

Also, if the eye lash hair mangs to get in the eye during sleep, can it go inside the eye, i.e. behind eye balls?

Thanks.
A loose eyelash or cilia can definitely irritate the eye, especially cornea but it can't enter into the eye or go behind the eye.  They can get stuck up in the superior or inferior fornix (which is the pocket up in the upper and lower eyelid.  There is a dead end in there as the conjuctiva ends and things cannot go behind the eye unless the conjuctiva is lacerated significantly.  Regarding your lashes, you should see an ophthalmologist for a complete exam.  You might have several unhealthy or misdirected lashes that need attention and/or you could have lid margin disease or blepharitis which worsens the situation.  Finally, there could be a whole other problem that you have not even thought of such as a conjuctival or corneal disorder which causes intermittant severe eye irritation.

Michael Kutryb, MD