Eye Care Expert Forum
Eye palpitations

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye palpitations

Hi, I've been feeling palpitations in my right eye for about 5 days now. It's very uncomfortable, and I would like to know if there is any medical reason for this.
Thank you.
I'm not exactly what you mean?  It is common for some people to have a light twitching of the eyelids due to stress, irritation or excess stimulation.  It is called myokymia and is usually harmless.  Now if you have something different, I really cannot be sure.  There is a condition where patients can hear whooshing sounds in the eye socket due to an arterial/venous shunting defect so I suppose that could possibly be in the list of possibilites.  My best advise is to see an ophthalmologist for a complete exam, then you can have a more detailed and personal evaluation which is necessary.

MJK MD