Eye Care Expert Forum
Eye problems from a stroke

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye problems from a stroke

I had a stroke 10 years ago and almost died. Dr recommended corrective glasses for eyes that had separated from seeing a single image. 5 years later, I met an opthamologist that performed surgery on muscles of eyes and refocused eyes to see a single image. Can now see I image. However I still have peripheal problems and depth perception. Very terrified to drive over a high bridge or an elevated road. No depth perception. Met a lady that has had some training in this field and stated that there is some things that can be done to help correct this problem. Is this true and what can be done? Help!
Hello     Because so many connections in the brain are related to eyes, vision, depth perception, single vision and peripheral vision it is very common for strokes to have a harmful effect on the eyes. It sounds like one problem you had was loss of control of eye movement. I'm very pleased that your eye surgery got you back to single vision.

I suspect from your statement about peripheral vision problems that you had stroke damage to your 'side vision'. Unfortunately that problem rarely goes away and may destroy half up to half of the peripheral vision (hemianopsia). Usually the damage is on the opposite side of the stroke and affects both eyes.

Although there has been some recent claims of very time consuming, very expensive visual training using 'recruitment' (disccused previously in the eye care forum use the search feature), most ophthalmologists and neurologists are skeptical that the system works. The most I can say is that the claims are as yet unproved.

I have found the services of my hospital occupational therapy department and a local rehabilitation hospital helpful for my patients with stroke or tumor caused loss of side vision. This is often covered by health insurance and they can objectively ascess the ability to drive safely. They teach various techniques such as visual scanning and head movements to make driving safer with what vision you now have.

I would start with your ophthalmologist (Eye MD), neuro-ophthalmologist or neurologist and ask them. You might also check with the occupational therapy department of a near-by quality hosptial. Unfortunately I think that's it's unlikely that your problems can be corrected to normal. Be careful about 'visual therapy' that is expensive, time consuming and has not been proven to be beneficial.

JCH MD
Thanks for your input to my problem. After getting started on investigation on this problem, I am discovering that there is some form of help, although a lot harder to find than I thought. My memory is not as sharp as before the stroke. Also when typing my misspelling has tremendously risen and I have a tendacy to double type characters. My golfing ability went from having an average of 82 to having an average of 130,  after the eye surgery, I have been able to get it back down to an average of 98 - this is an example of the overall affect on my life..
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Well keep trying. Your present golf game is a lot better than mine.

JCH MD
An example of life now.

I ride a road bicycle now. I have an imbalance but have not fallen on the bike since beginning. I can't go over 24 mph and consequently cannot keep up with good bikers going down a hill. The peripheral vision terror and depth perception problem causes terror when I have to ride with a deep ditch or on a bridge. I rode with a friend yesterday on a road that has a double arch bridge over a major highway that is 100 feet off the ground. I can not force myself to bicycle or drive a car over it. I can shut my eyes and ride over the bridge. Of course, everyone thinks that I am crazy, but it is a fact from the stroke. Is there any hope of a partial fixing of this problem?