Eye Care Expert Forum
Eye rash

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye rash

For the past few months, I have noticed have had a discharge from my left eye upon waking up in the morning.  This past week, I developed a sore spot on the skin on the outer corner of my left eye, that itches and burns.  I am taking Benadryl, by the way.  Yesterday when I woke up, my upper eyelid was red and swollen and scaly and there was swelling over to the inner corner of my eye.  I had cataract surgery about a year and a half ago and have noticed that I have dry eye worse than before the surgery.  I use Genteel eye drops as well as over the counter ointment before I go to sleep.  My ophthalmologist is over two hours away so I haven't been able to see him yet.  Is there any over the counter meds I could use until I see him?  I am using the same makeup and cannot figure out what is causing this.  I appreciate any help or advice.
Hi Libby,
You may use warm compresses and preservative free tears.
Sincerely,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
Thank you so much!  I will try this......
Dr. McGarity, could you please reply to my question about pupillary response? I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.