Eye still teary red and itchy18 days after cataract surgery
I had cataract surgery on my right eye 18 days ago, the eye is still teary, reddish and itchy, It feels scratchy like there is a hair or dirt in it, is this normal? I am using maxitrol 4 x daily and apo-timop 2 x daily. For Years I occasionally had tears comming out of my right eye when I blow my nose ( before the surgery) I have never worried about it much and forgot to tell my ophthalmologist before the op. But now the eye is tearing constantly, Could i have an infection? or is to do with  what I think was a blocked tear-duct. Should I give it more time to settle? ( I have an appointment to see the ophthalmologist in 3 weeks time),  or should I see him asap?
Call Monday for an extra exam, no it is not normal.

JCH MD
I had the same thing happen to me and it turned out that I was alergic to the preservitives in Maxitrol. They changed it and I was fine.
Good thought. About 10% of people develop a sensitivity to the neomycin in maxitrol. If the eyelids look red and scalded drug allergy is a good bet.

JHCH MD
Thank you for your comments.
I stopped using the eye drops but my eye is still teary, the Dr says it is a blocked tear-duct and prescribed a nasal spray for 6 weeks. He says if it doesn't clear by then I will probably need surgery. Also since the cataract surgery my eyelid has been very droopy and looks much smaller than the other eye, I thought this was because of the surgery and the tearing and that it would clear up when my eye healed after the surgery but I am now starting to worry as it is not getting any better, it is really very noticeable and looks awful, l don't want to have to wear sunglasses to hide my eyes! Do you think my eyelid will go back to normal? Thanks!
The droopy eyelid is a not uncommon side effect of the surgery. My brother was delighted with the cataract surgery (both eyes), but he developed the same problem you have. He was advised to have plastic surgery.
I had cataract surgery in both eyes.  I complained about eyes being teary prior to surgery.  Before second eye was done I complained it was hurting.  Surgery was still scheduled.  2 months now and my eyes are STILL red and watery.  I have used several different drops.  They are still not right.  HELP!!!