Eye Care Community
Eye surgery for baby for ptosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Eye surgery for baby for ptosis

We are very worried about an eye surgery for my baby who is only 8 months old. Her left eye cannot open as big as right eye since birth. The doctor told us that surgery is needed to correct the situation and prevent laziness. I want to know when the best time is for eye surgery for baby only several months old.
An upper eyelid that does not go all the way up is called ptosis. It is often hereditary. If it droops badly it can block the vision and reduce the ability of the eye to see normally (amblyopia).

Surgery is generally done when the position of the lid is stable (ie not raising or dropping more). You should be seeing an Eye MD that specializes in surgery of the eyelids (oculo-plastic surgery).

Please know that while surgery normally improved the situation it is usually not possible to make the eye lid look and work like the normal other eye. They won't look like idential twins. Repeat operations are often necessary.

Your child should also be followed closely over the next 3-5 years by a pediatric ophthalmologist to watch for amblyopia, and misalignment of the eyes (strabismus).

JCH III MD Eye Physician & Surgeon
Dear Doctor,

Thank you very much for your information. We are worrying about whether or not there is too much risk for the baby since she is too young. Also, if we decide not to go for surgery, there is a possibility that it will recover on its own. However, as you mentioned, amblyopia and misalignment of the eyes might be a problem as well in the future. Is it normal for a baby to have operation for this or is it better to wait until she is older?

Best Regards,
Gary
The condition unfortunately doesn't normally improve with time. If you are in the care of a good peditrician, pediatric ophthalmologist and oculoplastic surgeon and they use a pediatric hosptial or hospitial equiped for very young children then you are in good hands.

If the child sees a pediatric ophthalmologist and an oculoplastic surgeons and they both recommend surgery then that's an opinion and a second opinion that agree.

JCH III MD
It's been almost 2 years since the posts about your daughter's eye.  How is she now?  Did she have the surgery?  If she did, how's her vision development? I sincerely hope she is doing great.  We are now facing the same surgery for our son who is now 8 months old.  Thanks.
You might consider leaving a note for WorryingGary if he doesn't answer your question.

JCH MD
Hey My baby is only 4 months old and I took her to the doctor for an eye problem he told me it was a sty but its red and sometimes gets purple on top...So i was worried and I took her to a eye doc, he said he didnt believe it was a sty at all so he referred me to lex. now im even more worried can someone help me with this situation..please
"Referred me to lex" what does that mean?
JH MD
Hi..
  I just had a new born baby girl a week ago, she does not opens her left eye. Took her to eye specialist, they scared me by saying "she may not see with that eye." (they try to open her eyes but my baby squeeze her eye lid so tight DR was unable to see what's inside).. then they tells me "they need to check the good eye,, they did and nothing was wrong with it... We are waiting for MRI to be done in 3weeks. (will the MRI do anything bad to her since she will be just month old by then?)

What I notice Is:
When she move her good eye,, I can see her eye balls moves on the other one.
Her eye tears sometime..
I never seen her opening that eye.

I am going crazy and scared over this.. I can't live thinking my girl wont be able to see with one eye. .. Can I kindly get some advise or thought please.. I am a new and 1st time father who is suffering to see my daughter like this..

What are my options and what can i do to help her?

Please kindly help.. - Thanks!