Eye Care Expert Forum
Eye surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye surgery

Sir/madam:please can u suggest which type of surgery wil be suitable for my eyes.lasik,lasek or icl.my right eye no is -13 and left eye no is -12.my age is 22 yrs.please help.regards
Your myopia is beyond the range for safe LASIK.  The options include ICL or anterior chamber phakic IOL.  The latter 2 are intraocular surgeries, and so carry a risk of cataract formation and glaucoma.  The glaucoma can result from the implant rubbing on the iris.  Before any refractive surgery is considered, you want to be sure that you do not have a progressive thinning disorder of the cornea, such as keratoconus.
If I were you - which in a way I am, my eyesight being even worse than yours - before having any dangerous operation done on my eyes I would find out the admissible range for "safe" lasik surgery and go for that,,, and be happy with getting a little better as opposed to getting perfect eyesight and the risk of permanent damage to your eyes !