Eye Care Community
Eye won't open in the morning

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Eye won't open in the morning

For the past three weeks, I have been having trouble opening my right eye upon awakening in the morning.  I've read most of the posts on this site about this problem so I just have a few questions.  Does this mean that my left eye will eventually suffer the same fate?  Should I use the same eye drops in my left eye even though it is not a problem yet?  Is this a “rest of my life” problem?  I have two other symptoms, a feeling of a foreign body in the eye and blurring of vision, but not every day in either case.  No pain, light sensitivity, gritty sensation, itching or redness.  I am going to an opthamologist on April 24th so I just wanted to get some input from people who’ve been there or a medical opinion.
The answser is "it depends". If its your eyelid is "sticking" to your eye due to dryness then lubricating drops or gels at bedtime (Genteal gel) may "cure" the problem. If its ptosis or true drooping you may need a work up to see if there is an underlying cause.

JCH MD
I too have the same problem, it is only when I go to sleep.  I can actually feel when it is happening.   My eye feels like it is getting heavy.  Maybe it is drying out, but it's a funny feeling.  I am having an MRI done tomorrow to check for any underlying problems, please let me know what you find out.
-