Eye Care Expert Forum
Eyelid/Eyebrow droops periodically?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eyelid/Eyebrow droops periodically?

I had a stye over a year ago on my left eyelid near my lash line, which apparently got infected and made my eyelid and surrounding my eye extremely swollen. I was on different antibiotics for about 3 months straight until finally it went away.  Afterwards, my eyebrow and eyelid to a lesser extent drooped.  According to my doctor, the infection might've damaged some nerves in my face.  It went back to normal after a couple months.

Since then, every once in a while my eyebrow and eyelid will droop.  It will go back to normal sometime between a few hours and a couple days, and then repeat itself all over again between about a week to a month later.  About half the time, it's accompanied by a slight headache right over my left eye, or sometimes it just feels like the muscles on that side are tired.  I've been to see several different neurologists, ophthalmologists, an eyelid specialist, and my regular pediatrician (my mom made me...).  No one has any idea what's wrong.  I've had an MRI, which was normal.  I'm just tired of being dragged to doctors, and of everyone asking 'what's wrong with your face' every time it happens.  It's kind of embarrassing, to be honest.  

I'm a 16-year-old girl (5'1'' and 105 lbs) in generally good health, with the exceptions of depression (on Prozac) and essential hypertension (on Nifediac).  Any ideas??
Your parents and your physicians are treating your symptoms with jusitied concern. The bump on your eyelid is not concerning. Usually this is a stye or chalazion. Both are usually caused by eyelid oil (blepharitis). Use the search feature and archives and read how to treat this.

Intermittent droopy eyelid with headache is NOT normal and deserves the work up you've had so far. A not uncommon cause with a negative work up thus far would be childhood migraine variant

Suggest you show this to your parents and have the neurologist or.ophthalmologist refer you to a neuro-ophthalmologist.  Be sure your blood pressure is under good control. Very important with your health problems you live a healthy life style: especially don't smoke tobacco or marijuana, don't get obese, eat a good diet, exercise, and when older if you consider birth control pills be sure the MD knows of your history of headaches and droop lid.

JCH MD