Eye Care Expert Forum
Eyelid crease change

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eyelid crease change
Dear Doctors,

About 2 months ago, out of the blue, my right eyelid crease changed. My right eyelid (only) has lost all puffiness and now looks smaller and the upper eyelid became a bit droopy. Also, my eye sometimes burns and gets dry. Not sure what could have caused this sudden change but my new appearance bothers me. The only changes are that I started birth control and I have been loosing weight (around 10 lbs) in the past 3 months. Is there any way to fix my eyelid so that it will go back to normal? I hate having one smaller and one bigger. I feel like a freak.

I have spoken to my doctor who told me to just stop wearing makeup and give it time. Its been 2 months like this.

Thank you for any information you may have.
You need to see an opthalmologist to look into the droopy eyelid.  It could be due to some inflammation in the eye or simply a stretching of the eyelid tendon called involutional ptosis.  Finally there are some neurologic disorders (horners syndrome and third nerve palsy) that can cause a drooping eyelid.  So as you see, it's not quite as simple as you think at first.  Good Luck.

Michael Kutryb, MD