Eye Care Expert Forum
Eyelid twitching and iron deficiency anemia

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Is it possible for iron deficiency anemia to cause twitching of the eyelid?  I have had twitching of my left eyelid, intermittently every day for about a month, but I am also having problems with my hemoglobin levels at this point also.  When recently checked, my level was just over 9, and it does cause me other symptoms as well that are frequently reported with having this condition.  Just wondering if it could cause the eyelid twitching also.
Dear bet1984,

Eyelid twitching may be caused by stress and/or fatigue.  I would also recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD to determine whether there is any other associate facial movements with the eyelid twitch.  This may herald a neurologic condition.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California