Eye Care Community
Eyes are Constantly tired and heavy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Eyes are Constantly tired and heavy

For the last 2 years my eyes have constantly felt heavy and tired. No matter how much I sleep, they just never feel normal. I'm a 24 year old male. my eating habits are average, I get sufficient sleep during the week. I exercise regularly.

It doesn't matter what time of the year it is so I'm pretty sure it's not allergies. I've seen doctors and nobody seems to know anything. People tell me I look tired all the time and I've noticed that too when I look in the mirror.  I've basically been left with having to try to ignore it all this time but It's really starting to get to me. any advise would be greatly appreciated

1. See a Eye MD ophthalmologist for an eye exam. If you have double vision or your lids droop ask him to order blood tests to rule out myasthenia gravis.
2. See a GP or Internist for a complete physician exam to be sure you are not anemia, hypothyroid, diabetic, etc.

JCH MD
hey there, i seem to have the same problem. my eyes feel heavy and tired all the time. i am super healthy and only eat organic food. dont eat meat. anyways i have been observing that different kinds of water cursing this problem. for me the worse is untreated well and spring water. i am assuming its some kinda bacteria effecting my liver. liver is connected to eyes. but i could be totally wrong. i am going to get some water samples soon and a filter and then we will see weather i was right or not.

the doctors recommendation dont seem wrong either.

greetings
m.
-
Would Hypothyroid cause this heaviness?  I am experiencing it, also.  Much worse in tha past 3 weeks...I had my thyroid removed and just found out the mediciaiton I am taking isn't enough.  It was increased but I just received the prescription, so I haven't started taking the higher dose yet.

If so, do you know how long it takes to see results?

Thanks,
Peg
yes hypothroidism can cause a wide variety of side effects such as weight gain, cold intolerance, decreased energy and libido, and "tired eyes".

people respond differently to thyroid replacement so i don't think i can generalize so I would suggest you discuss with your personal MD who is working to regulate your thyroid levels.

JCH MD
In Chinese medicine "heavy eyes" is a Yin and Yang Heel Vessel imbalance. Too much yin is flowing to the eyes through the Yin Heel Vessel. I recommend seeing a acupuncturist to correct the problem your having with your eyes.
Sincerely, Dale
-
I have a similar problem, my eyes always feel tired, is hard some time to focus whit them. I know I need glasses but when I wear them it hurts and makes me feel sleepy. I also some times confuse some words with others.... what can I do? thank you
Go for a second opinion to an Eye MD ophthalmologist

JCH MD