Eye Care Expert Forum
Farsighted (Hyperopia)
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Farsighted (Hyperopia)

I am 24 years-old and have hyperopia.  Four years ago I was given prescription reading glasses at either a +3 or +3.5 (I don't recall the exact perception anymore) and they worked great. I just went for an appointment recently because I was starting to get irritated eyes and headaches and figured I may need a new perception after 4years. The eye doctor put me in progressive glasses which seem to be working decently. When I asked about options for contact lenses, the doctor said she could give me contacts for distance vision and then I would still wear reading glasses over top of the contacts. I realize that my eyes are straining to see both near and far, but was wondering if distance contacts with reading glasses over top is really the best option for hyperopia?  Are there any other options that I should look into.  Any feedback would be appreciated!
2078052_tn?1331936700
There are several options here.  Contact lenses to correct distance vision should help.  I am not clear why you need progressive lenses, since at your young age, you should be able to accommodate (focus) for near.  LASIK is also possible to correct the farsightedness.  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center
Van Nuys, CA
1731421_tn?1358826971