Eye Care Expert Forum
Farsightedness

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Farsightedness

Dear Doctor,

I have problems with reading but only on paper, when i read on the computer i have no problems at all. The problem occurs only after a couple minutes of reading, meaning that in the beginning i see clearly but after a few minutes everything starts to get blurry. I am 25 years old.  I went to three different ophthalmologists, and three of them prescribed different things. The first one said i have +2 on both of my eyes and gave me lenses OS OD +1. The second one used the eye drops that enlarge pupils and said i had a diopter of +4 OD, 57 -58mm, +4.25OS and prescribed +1 diopter for both eyes, while the third said i don't need glasses at all and said i only have astigmatism on the left eye 0.5. He also added that i do not need to use glasses at all since the blurriness comes as a result of psychological pressure or stress. I stay 8 hours in front of the computer at work and at least 4-5 hours at home. Could the third physician be right? I mean +4 is too much right???
You have a high degree of "latent hyperopia" which was properly diagnosed by the second eye doctor who measured you after eye drops were instilled.  This perfectly fits your symptoms.  The second doctor is the one who knows what he's doing.  Use his prescription, which will not be the full power that he measured because you don't need full correction at your age, but may need it as you get older.
Just to add, i did a test with the Snellen chart, and i can see the 20/20 clearly.
The second doctor also said that I have to wear the glasses all the time. Is that a must? I also wanted to ask you about "latent hyperopia", how is it caused and what does "latent" mean? Can it also be cured? I tried on +4 glasses and I couldn't see anything with them.
In addition, when the eye drops were instilled the assistant said my pupils won't enlarge so she poured a couple more, is this a problem.

I apologize for bombing you with questions, but I just don't believe them any longer.