Eye Care Expert Forum
Fitting contacts in case of scarred cornea

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

My husband recently went to an eye doctor to get an eye exam, as well as being fitted for contacts (which he used to wear when he was younger). The doctor analysed him and proceeded to state that she did not "ok" him for contact use, because his corneas had some scarring (which, as far as we know, does not depend on any kind of traumatic event or is otherwise visible or bothersome).

Now, I have heard it stated by a number of doctors in the past that there are contacts to fit almost everyone, and that fitting contacts is an art etc etc. I have also heard that rigid contacts (GP) can be particularly suitable for eyes with scarring, since it is possible for the contact to go over the scar and counteract the irregularity. However, my husband's doctor explored none of these options at all and refused to fit him with contacts since she was of the opinion that it could make the scarring worse.

As we would much like for my husband to be able to wear contacts, should we just settle for this diagnosis and resign ourselves to the fact that he can never wear contacts again in his whole life, or are there other avenues we could/should explore? Thank you.

Sel.
I think it is OK for him to get a second opinion - but make sure it is from a very trustworthy ophthalmologist who is experienced in contact lenses.  I see patients like this occasionally and I'm not afraid to tell them that contacts are a very bad idea.  Yes there is probably a contact lens that could be fit on him but there is also the possibility of severe problems (and if you could see some of the horrible infections and scarring that I have seen due to contact lens you would shudder.)  Since these contacts lenses are just a convenience for him it is again important for him to get an good second opinion about the risk vs benefits of him wearing contacts.  Believe me there are some people who really need to stay out of contacts for their own good.  Lets wait and see if he is one of those?

MJK MD