Eye Care Expert Forum
Flash after blinking

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Flash after blinking

Just recently I have noticed that for a second after blinking I see a circular burst spot similar to that spot you see after looking at the sun or a flash on a camera.  But it doesnt seem to be going away.  Just wondering if this is something that will just go away...Thanks for any help you may provide!
Tags: flashes, spots
I believe the cause is entopic phenomena (Google that term and also use the search feature, archives to see previous discussions here).  Also look at the topics of discussions threads over the last 5 days. There is a very long post with multiple responses from people that observe the same thing you do.

JCH IIIMD
I have been having a similar thing happen to me since last Friday. I see a small spot right after blinking. It actually is more noticeable when I look at brighter surfaces in a well lit environment. It is less noticeable in low light. It lasts for a few seconds after I close my eyes and looks like a doughnut or like I stared at the sun.

I went to see my ophthalmologist tonight and I was diagnosed with vitreous condensation in my left eye. My doctor said it should eventually go away and develop into a floater, but that I need to have a follow up visit in three weeks to make sure I doesn't manifest into retinal detachment.

If you haven't already or it hasn't gone away on its own, I  recommend having your eye doctor look at it just to be safe.
--
Does your spot blink at first and then eventually fade to gray?  I have spots and the Neuro Opthalmologist is thinking possibly vitreous detaching.  The blinking stops after the piece detaches.  Is this what they have told you?  I am SOOO concerned because one of mine, which these spots have been developing for 3 years, has started to blink again.  I have never had one blink after turning grey.  They never grow after they turn grey.  This one does.  I have a call in to the Neuro Opth. today.   Ever heard of this?
-
Unfortunately, I have not heard of this. This is my first experience with having vitreous condensation, so I don't have a lot of experience with these types of conditions. Personally, I don't actually see anything in my visual field. I only see the spot when I blink, and for a short time after I blink if I keep my eyes closed.

I was told to watch for flashes in my eye and come in immediately if I did see flashes. I'm not sure if this is happening to you, but if it is then make an appointment right away. Anything that concerns you should be checked by an Opthamologist as soon as possible. It sounds like you are doing that so that is good.

Take care and I hope things work out okay for you.
--