Eye Care Expert Forum
Flashing Light in One Eye Only

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Flashing Light in One Eye Only
What does it mean when a person sees a flashing light in only one of their eyes?  This light looks similar to the ones that appear when you take a flash photo.  And it lasts for about 5 minutes.
This could reprsent a visual migraine without the headache.  I suggest you see an ophthalmolgist for a complete exam.  A retinal tear or detachment or a posterior vitreous detachment can cause flashes of light but they are usually sporadic flashes often brought on by movement of the eye.

MJK MD
Thank you for responding to my question.  

I noticed that when I am either stressed out or having a bad sinus attack is when I will see those strange lights in one of my eyes. Never both of them. Just the one. Today, my left eye had this "photo flash" light on and off through out the day. It kinda made me nervous.  I did have an MRI (without contrast) for my sinuses. If there was anything serious they would have noticed (serious such as tumor, etc)?  

If I have a retinal tear how is that treated?  Actually, how does a person tear it to begin with?