Eye Care Expert Forum
Flashing Lights in Eyes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Flashing Lights in Eyes

Posted by Mary on May 25, 1999 at 20:12:48
I noticed that Beth(a couple of days ago)has a similiar problem to mine.  She described this as flashing lights with a raindrop puddling appearance.  That is exactly what I have.  Also similar is the fact that it started in the outer edges of the left eye and progressed to both eyes.  Used to be only in the dark and upon waking.  Then the frequency increased.  I have had two complete Opthomologic examinations(8 months apart), a Neuro work-up including an MRI.  All bloodwork and tests completely normal. I am 43, no blood pressure problems to speak of, sugar is normal and am nearsighted.  You mentioned Moor's lightening streaks in a previous answer.  What is this and could it be related to our problems?  One doctor suggested low hormones, another ocular migranes (migraines).  All agreed that my eyes (retinas) are perfect. Total time for this is approaching 9 months.  It comes and goes but does seem to be improving.  Had a recent prescription changes in lenses to exclude biofocals.
Any ideas?  This is quite annoying.

Posted by HFHS M.D.-JL on May 25, 1999 at 22:52:30
Unfortunately, this can be quite annoying but fortunately you have had several normal eye examinations.  Moors lightning streaks are light flashes that are seen when no ocular pathology is found.  Certainly, ocular migraines are a possiblity however these light symptoms are usually fairly classic.  They are described as scintillations and the sparks of light flicker across your visual field.  Certainly it is worth following up with your eye MD and hopefully the flashes will resolve with time.
This information was provided for medical educational purposes only.
HFHS M.D.-JL

A related discussion, Did you ever find out what the problem was was started.