Flashing Strobe, Prism colored, 1/2 Moon Light in Left Eye
I've never had eye issues so this scared me very much. Last nite, after entering a restaurant and sitting down I experienced a flashing arc light (like the shape of the letter "C") and the shape appeared to be made out of prisms with the diamond, slightly colored affect similar to a glass prism you hang in the light.  It kept flashing on the outer left of my left eye in such a way that when I looked at the menu it was blurry in that spot in the shape of the "C" - almost as if I was looking through it.  It continued for approx 15 min and no matter what I looked it it was there - even when I closed my eyes.  It eventually appeared to grow wider and then disappear - almost as if out of my sight range.  Now I dont know what to make of it and if there's something out there that it could potentially be so I can describe it to my local eye dr so I dont sound silly.  Otherwise, I dont know what it was and what it could be - any ideas?
Yes,,  migraine.

See an ophthalmologist or neurologist.

Dr. O.
The same thing just happened to me tonight -exactly how you described it.  You wrote this over a year ago, and I'm wondering if it has happened since or if you received treatment.  I will take Ray Oyakawa's advice and visit an ophthalmologist or neurologist.
Thank you
I had the same thing. I saw an opthomologist yesterday and he said it indicated a hidden cancer, if it isn't TIA's or migraines. scary and trying to follow up. I have no migraines and have had tests that indicate I haven't had TIA's
Have you found out anything?
You do NOT have to have a headache to have migraines. You can have JUST the visual migraine aura, as you had. Same thing happened to me--and in fact that is how I first found out I am a migraineur. I panicked when I had the flashing-light "C" shape that last half an hour, but it turns out my sister, a big migraineur, has EXACTLY the same aura. It's migraine, look it up.
My family practitioner has me scheduled with a neurologist, oncologist and an endocrinologist. This is based on the opthamologist suggesting I had an occult malignancy. I had a biopsy on my thyroid, as I had developed lumps on both sides. The results were benign. It has been suggested that I have a PET scan to search my entire body. Waiting to see if my insurance company will cover it.
I experience the same thing... best I can describe it is it looks like a diamondback rattlesnake with prism like flashing... has anyone received any answers on this... I find I become very disoriented during the episode and dizzy afterward.
Having it now. I think I had it to a greater degree once about twenty years ago.Nice to see I'm not alone.
First thanks for asking this and seeing that I could actually find some information on this makes me feel a bit better but it is so weird. I have had them before but this has happened the last 3 days now and it's annoying as much as worrisome. I am going to start with the eye doctor and see what they suggest. Has anyone had any results to post here? I used to have actual migraines when I was young but not in years, interesting that you don't have to have a headache to have a migraine, will investigate that further. Thanks!
That is a very bad ophthalmologist. Ocular migraine. Classic. No question.
This exact thing has happened to me for years, every couple months. It starts as a small blurry spot and slowly grows over 45 minutes as it passes out of the line of sight. It is flashy multi-colored prism type distortion of light. Even with closed eyes. It happens only on one side but has affected different sides at different times. there is nothing to be worried about. The very first time was horribly frightening as I thought I was having a stroke. All this is, is a migraine. It is quite scary but you must reassure yourself that many people have this happen to them like me. I am having one right now and it's hard to type lol. I just wanted to reassure those worried about this semi-common condition. I have had CT scans, MRIs and had visited many doctors about it, and I promise there is nothing to worry about. Just make sure you pull off the road and find somewhere to sit and let it run it's course if you are driving.
are you having pain?   I looked up migraine, and it's an awful headache.  I'm not having pain, mine was the same, starts out as a small blurry spot and it turned into a flashy multi-colored prism type distortion of light in the shape of a C.

if you respond, please do so here.  Thanks!!
***@****
=
Scintillating Scotoma
Scintillating Scotoma
Yes use google images and see what a scintillating scotoma looks like.