Flashing lights after retinal detachment surgery
I had retinal detachment surgery just over a week ago now.  A few days ago I started getting flashing lights again (same as the ones I got prior to surgery) at the top corner of my eye.  This started with a few flashes so I went to see my surgeon who checked my eye and said it all looked ok.  But now 4 days later the flashing is on and off all day.  Is this normal? I phoned my local hospital and they said they would see me at the eye clinic on wednesday but I'm worried sick that - a) I have another detachment or b) I will always have these lights flashing and just have to put up with it.  Can you please tell me why I would be getting these lights? and am I right to be worried sick?

I would love to hear from anyone else who's gone through the same thing.
Flashes means there is still traction present.  It could lead to another tear.  No treatment for flashes until a tear occurs or the flashes resolve.

Dr. O.
What would cause the traction? and Do you mean it is possible it will settle down and the flashes will just stop? I'm hoping for this rather than another tear.  And if I was unfortunate to get another tear could it be treated by laser rather than eye surgery again? many thanks for your advice
A retinal tear is caused by vitreous traction.  Even if you had a vitrectomy some vitreous remains.  The traction can decrease with time or create anther tear.

Dr. O.
I have seen my eye clinic since my last post and luckily for me there is no new tear or detachment.  The flashes have been explained by the doctor as by being caused by the scar tissue I have after my retinal detachment surgery.  I have been advised that they should stop in the next couple of weeks or so.  Phew! What a relief - I hope this infor may help others.
I had retinal detachment surgery in April of 2005 when I was just 35 in my left eye.  It does take a long time to heal.  I was told not to use the computer for at least two weeks after surgery.  I could not wear my contact lenses for at least two months because they made me dizzy.  I feel it took 6 months to really heal.  Rest a lot and take it easy.   I stayed home from work for two weeks, but I should have stayed home at least three.  I had the gas bubble and the surgery.  My vision has maintained, but I do have floaters.  
Thanks for your comment - its good to hear from someone who has gone thru the same thing although I didn't have the bubble - I had the surgery.  Unfortunately I did not have a very communicative surgeon and was told very little (although I can't fault his surgery skills) I wasn't told what I could or couldn't do or how long healing would take.  I am still experiencing the flashing lights which is a problem but I am hopeful it will stop in the next couple of weeks as I was advised.  I can't believe you still get floaters 5 years on, how do you deal with it or do you get used to them? Its nice to hear that your vision is good and I am pleased for you.  At the end of the day we are very lucky as some people lose their sight completely.  I am still blurred but its definately got a bit better 2 weeks on from the surgery.
Yeah, the blurry vision stays for several weeks.  I also found that my good eye, was watering because it was working twice as hard.
When I first had the surgery, I saw blue and it was not possible to watch tv without seeing the people distorted.  I did a lot of research online and found that six months is normal to really feel healed.   I had both the bubble and the surgery because I was completely blind by the time I had surgery.  I was told I had a 80% chance of seeing again if I did both and only a 50% chance if I only did the gas bubbles.  
I usually notice my floaters the most at night when I am wearing my glasses instead of contact lenses.  They don't really bother me that much.  
I was afraid of going blind again, so I had several checks up after the procedure. Now I only go once a year.   I was last seen in December and everything looks good.  I did have my other eye repaired with a laser to prevent detachment a few months after my surgery in 2005.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask since I know going through this surgery is difficult.
Hi thanks for your last comment.  I have still got blurry vision nearly a month on from my surgery and went for an eyetest yesterday but was told to wait a few more weeks before I get a new prescription for my glasses.  I could only read the top 2 lines on the eyetest - you know the huge letters! Today I think I've got an eye infection though as my eye feels really gritty in the outer corner and uncomfortable - did you ever suffer these symptoms after your surgery?? So pleased that your last check up went well - its a worry and it gives me hope!!
Oh yes, I couldn't really read for a long time.  My eye was red for months.  I still wake up with it red in the corner, so I am using wetting drops many mornings.  They gave me drops to use as a prescription for 2-3 weeks after surgery to prevent infection.  I remember looking in the mirror and feeling like my eye didn't look all the way open.

I would wait at least 6 months after surgery before getting new glasses.  I felt like my glasses were weak for a few months and then I was fine.  My prescription changed very little in the past five years.  
Thanks again for taking the time to leave me a comment. I had the eye clinic again today and got a stitch taken out as it was what was causing me the eye irritation and gritty feeling.  It feels much better already.  On the downside today my eye pressure was extremely high so now I'm on drops to lower it - it feels there is always something wrong! My glasses are weak for me too, so much so that I cannot drive and I think I'm just in a rush to get new ones so I can have a normal life again! I will just have to be patiend as you've said it takes about 6 months to recover.  To think I didn't even know what a retinal detachment was a month ago!
I had retinal detachment surgery for my right eye on 20 Jan 2010. I am having same problem as yours that getting flashing of lights after a week from retinal detachments surgery and it create floaters to my left eyes also. Next 2 days I will goto futher check up, I hope can get good news from Doctor.
Hi guys im happy to read your storys about some flashing in the eye one week after detachment surgery as i have the same now. Worried sick that it has detached again. I have toxoplasmosis in the right eye which caused a lot of damage last flare up 5 years ago but has remained  quiet since, but it caused scarring on the retina and some macula damage which caused now the detachment.Sight in the eye before was probably 50% which before the detachment has fell to 10%. My surgeon is confident that i may get back as far as 70% which would be super. I had very invasive surgery of a scleral buckle and vitrectomy. My eye is now full of silicon oil and dilated daily so vision is very bad. i had surgery in dublin on 13 july 10, laid on my back to posture for 6 full days only taking a break for 5 minutes or so every hour before i could move around a little the last few days. So im really hoping my retina remains flat attached and in good condition and i will try not to worry until i see my surgeon again in a few days.. eoin ireland
Hello Everyone,
I had a severe RD, scleral buckle and silicone oil.  I had flashes of light for 6 months off and on.  No one who hasn't been through this nightmare would never understand how frightening and paranoid one gets about it happening again. I made several "panic" trips to the doctors office to get checked when I saw wierd things in my vision.
I just had cataract surgery last week,  but I still have poor vision and my central vision is blurred.  Not sure what the plan is other than the cataract doctor told me he'll use a YAG laser in 3 months to try to clear up the scar tissue on the capsule that holds my new lens and I see the retinal doctor 8/3.  Last time I was there a month ago, he told me I've developed a macular pucker and that is why I have some bend to straight lines in my vision.  He said he wanted to see how my vision was after the cataract was out before we talked about possible treatment for the pucker.  This is a long, frightening road...not knowing if you'll ever see "normal" again.  
Candace, I felt the same way you did after surgery, I was really scared.  I am happy to say five years later I am still doing GREAT like I mentioned above.  Remember to take it easy and let your body get lots of rest so you can heal!  Give it time and hopefully your recent treatment was a success!
Risa
Hi just noticed your comment as hadn't been on here in a while - how are you getting on? How did you get on with your surgeon? Its got to be the worst experience of my life as like you I had very invasive surgery and more than 6 months on I still have this flashing lights in the corner of my eye.  Whats most frightening for me is the flashing lights are what started were my symptoms for having a detached retina, and now I worry its happening again.  I hope everything is going well for you and everyone else who suffers from this.  Its truly a worrying time for us all!
Just thought I would jump in here.  I had a retinal reattachment using a scleral buckle and vitrectomy with a gas bubble in April of 2009.  The bubble created a cataract and I had that removed in November 2009.  I continue to have the flashing lights - for me they look sort of like a ceiling fan - but overall I have good sight.  I wear a contact in my uncorrected eye as it's -7.5; the detached eye was a -9.5 before the IOL.  The distance focal point variable between the eyes while reading is still very irritating, but distance viewing is great.  The IOL quivers/flickers noticeably and may be contributing to the light flashing, but it hasn't affected my visual acuity.  Other people will sometimes ask me what's wrong with my eye when they notice it flickering - it looks weird.  Good luck to all of you and hang in there and be patient -- it takes a long while for it all to settle down and  for vision to stabilize.  Like others said, at least 6 months.
I had surgery for retinal detachment when I was 24 It's now a year later and I'm still seeing the flashing lights.  On top of that I have to go for cataract surgery on the same eye and my "good" eye has been twitching for the last 2 weeks.  What is wrong with my eyes?..
Hello, finding this thread has been really helpful. My wife has had two sessions of emergency laser surgery for what appears to be a chronic detached retina. We went to see the doctor this morning, two days later. He said it looked like the laser scarring was holding everything together, but it was up to us to decide whether we wanted to go ahead and have the gas bubble surgery. It is now the night time and a few moments ago my wife experienced another flash and burst into tears. I want to take her back to the hospital first thing tomorrow. But from what I'm reading here, this sounds like par for the course.

What kind of surgery did you have exactly, before experiencing these same flashes again? Was it also laser? Or did you have one of the more invasive procedures?

How much do you think we should be worrying?
I'm so glad I found this thread, its good people share their experiences, not just negative ones. I just had my second detachment in 2months, first was a total detachment, had a long lasting gas put in. (happened a day I was due to migrate to oz) :( as I went for a routine check up, I was told it's all good, retina stayed attachment. Scary, that night I can see a white veil at the corner of the eye. I thought it was the cataract. But it started to grow. By thurs I went to see the doc and had the second op by Friday morning. This time it's and short gas, only 70% filled? Why? I haven't managed to talk to the consultant since. That uk NHS system for you. I hopefully be able to see him next Friday and ask him plenty of questions. I managed to delayed my initial flight til aug 1st. Hopefully the gas be gone few days before, if not I just have to miss it. I just wait to reunite with my wife after 2months. :) has any one travel on the place so soon after?
im 18 and have had both cataracts taken out 3 RD surgerys and a squint surgery i was diagnosed with cataracts when i was 16. in july this yeara few weeks after cataract surgery i was diagnosed with retinal detachments in both eyes and had been legally blind for at least 3 months. the retina in my left eye was almost fully detached. the did my right eye on the 1st of august the day after i was diagnosed with RD's and the left on the 4th of august. left had silicone oil and rightr had a gas bubble along with laser. a month or so later my lefdt retina detached again. in the next surgery for it the removed thwe oil used a laser did a retinectomy (removed part of the retina tro relieve some stress) and several more procedures which i cant remember the name of.  i am legal;ly bling in my left eye with a limited field of vision.i have surgery on the 21st of this month to remove the oil then in next few months in need YAG laser treatment to remove secondaary cataracts. i still get alot of flashing and am terrfied its  gunna keep detaching again and again
i had a ruptured globe last year and had a major surgery done to fix my retina and now i see flashes and i told my doctor and we did a laser i surgery to fix my retina because he said i did still have a few tares i think either my optic nerve or my retina not sure but after the laser surgery i continue to see them and i dont go back for another 6months is it normal or am i ****** lol please help.
I developed some kind of eye infection in the right eye in October of 2012 and for the years before that I had perfect vision and I got surgery on January 16 2013 and now has been almost 2 months since surgery but my eye is still dilated and has been since this started and retina is still attached 2 months later and the infection detached the retina in the right eye and my left eye as floaters and the retina in the left eye is soar is that because of the strain the right eye is putting on the left eye? Or is that because my left eye was slightly infected? How long does it usually take to know if the eye will undilate? I am waiting and will wait as long as it takes but would like someone to give me a possible time frame please? I went to my doctor and he don't see any signs of infection in the left one. I would really be thankful for anyone's help on this matter :)
I've had a total of 13 eye surgeries since I was a kid and 7 since Nov 2012.
It is a life altering experience and seems to be more of an art than a science LOL. I'm not a doctor but I'd like to clarify some FLASHES VS FLICKERing is kinda two different things.. Flashes LIKE lightning bolt arcs is traction related FLICKERING i think occurs when the retina Separates from membrane OR when the retina reattaches.  I think most people will experience flickering as scar tissue is growing as the laser treatment heals.  Now this morning 6 weeks past my latest vitrectomy RD I woke up to extremely blurry vision and new floaters.  anyway I'm tired of straining my eyes on this computer if anybody wants to voice try http://www.myeyesight.net a voice driven support community for people with these eye nightmares. best of luck to you all.
I'm experiencing flashes after surgery.  I had a gas bubble put on.  I'm very nervous.  I hope is not another detachment.
Great thread to have found. I'm a 22 year old male, I suffered from retinal detachment when I was 19 which resulted in me needing a scleral buckle and gas bubble! Having thought the nightmare was over, I continued my studies at university and secured employment. Freshly graduated, the weekend of my first week of employment I went to the hospital due to flashes (day after graduation) then I was told I had another detachment which has meant that I have had to go on sick after my first week!!! So here I am after the first week of surgery, I had the first buckle removed and another put in place but strangely no gas bubble? I didn't have a viterectomy so I'm worried that maybe this problem could occur again? Any thoughts? Good luck all
I'm 39 and I am legally blind without corrective lenses. My myopia is correctable about -17 and -18 at present and I've been told I have the steepest corneas my eye doctor has ever seen. Anyway I suffered a long expected retinal detachment in my left eye mid-September 2013 and am just about 2 months out from surgery.  I had the vitreous removed and a gas bubble placed in my eye.  

48 hours after I was first able to sit up after my 2 weeks of "face down" my vision in my left eye went completely cloudy.  It was like looking through a glass of milk!  I ended up having to make the 3 hour trip to see the surgeon again, luckily it was determined that the cloudiness was just what he called a "gas cataract" and it did clear up within 48 hours.  I also went through a few days where my IOP skyrocketed and they put me on drops.  I haven't had problems with IOP since. Also had issues with my blood pressure during the last 4 or 5 days of my "face down". I'd literally have my left eye black out for a second and then I'd see stars for 2 or 3 seconds after and then my vision would come back completely. Only happened after I'd get up from laying face down for an extended period of time.  My surgeon explained that the face down position can be very hard on the carotid arteries, once I was upright again the blood pressure issues went away.

My surgeon says my eye looks good and my next appointment isn't until February 2014, but I'm also having some "flashes" of light post surgery. They are not the same as the lightening bolt flashes I was getting when my retinal tear and detachment first happened.  These are more of a slow pulsing light up the outer edge of my eye where the surgery was done. My surgeon told me that the eye treats a retinal detachment and the surgery to repair it just like it would any other injury which means scarring. My mom had to undergo surgery to repair a 2nd retinal detachment due to excessive scarring from her first surgery, 6 months later she still has oil in her eye from that surgery to insure the retina fully heals so she hopefully won't have to have a 3rd surgery. Needless to say I'm nervous about my scarring getting worse after watching what my mom went through earlier this year.  It's my understanding that it may be 6 or more months before my body considers my retina healed.  

My last trip to the surgeon indicated I presently have 20/20 correctable vision in my damaged eye. I still have a tiny tiny bit of gas bubble in my eye 2 months out and my surgeon is now monitoring me for cataract formation. So if all goes well and I don't have a 2nd detachment my vision should be right where it was pre-detachment and so far I have no floaters in my left eye.

I do my best to rest my eyes as much as I can. I work on a computer 8 hours a day and try to remember to force myself to look away from the screen ever 20 minutes or so. I had dry eyes to begin with but that problem is now worse in both of my eyes it seem, I never go anywhere without a bottle of artificial tears. My right eye has taken a beating during this and I now have floaters in it.  The surgeon said my right eye looked good but should I get ANY flashes of light in it to call him immediately.  Apparently it is much easier to repair and recover from a retinal tear and he doesn't want me to have to undergo the detachment repair process in both eyes if I don't have to.

Anyone who has not had to go through this kind of surgery has absolutely no clue how much it puts a person on edge.  I spent the first week after I was able to do something other than "face down" obsessing over whether or not a shadow I was seeing was actually just a shadow I was seeing in the room or a new detachment. I have always had some minor issues with anxiety but my GP has since put me on meds until my eye heals. I started having some really serious panic attacks after this happened to me.
how long were u in a face down position?
I was face down for 14 days.  

My mother went through the face down position twice, 9 days the first time and 18 days after her second surgery. She also has to do the face down position 30 minutes 3 times a day until the surgeon removes the oil. She's been doing that for nearly 6 months now. I'm really hoping to avoid having to go through what my mom did.
How,long were you off work?  I work on computers & have been off for 4 weeks since surgery and my vision is ok but i have blurry and double vision at times when both try to focus together on fine details.  I feel I could return to work now but worry on making lots of mistakes with my vision the way it is.  my doctor has given me a note to stay off but I wonder if I would return to get back into routine.  
Hello i hope you are still following this conversation.
My son had a surgery with the silicone oil a week ago, still sees flash light and distortion. Doctor did not ask him for a spectial head positioning which is necessary for gas bubble. Is it normal not to take care of the head position with the silicone oil option?
I too had the retinal reattached and a gas bubble. This was 6 months ago and I just went for a check up for new glasses and I too could only read the top two lines, but only when the card was closd to my eye.  It is still blurred and I see the white flashes of light once again, so worried that it is starting to detach afain, also getting pain and and off. They dilated my eye last night around 3:30 (2.3.14) and my son told me it was still dilated. I also found out that now I have cataracts.  The eye that had surgery is more prevalent that then left eye. Great!
I had a scleral buckle surgery in Oct of 2013.  Its been over a year and I still have flickers of light almost constantly in that eye. It drives a person mad, the worry and the wonder.  I have gone to the surgeon SEVERAL SEVERAL times... and he says everything looks fine.  My retina was detached for 6 months before I had surgery.. I'm sure that's not too common so maybe that's why I'm still having problems.
It just seems like since 2 weeks after my surgery and up until now I've been having constant weird things happening with my eye.
The dryness is crazy (in both eyes), Starting from 2 weeks after surgery I had a black spot in my scleral eye that was not there before.  this went away after a few weeks... I prayed and prayed and it went away.  
But now, there is a constant flicker of shadow where I guess my detachment was (it's hard to describe, its not light, and its not dark, just imagine a dim flickering bulb in your top field of vision most of the day.  Also, I get lightning bolts across my eye from morning until night, sometime very rarely and sometimes 10-20 times an hour.
And apparently, news to me, I have a buckle on only half my eye? I tried googling it and not sure if its possible?  the doctor said there is less risk during recovery so he only put the buckle on the bottom portion of my eye.  How is it pinching my eye then?
I too have crazy anxiety and this has not helped.  I constantly check my vision and I actually found a retinal hole in my other eye before my ophthalmologist did.  Got that lasered and I can still see the darkish ring at times.
Anywho, basically, I just wanted to write to let you guys know that I am STILL in the same boat after a year and a half. No on knows the panic and anxiety and depression hat follows these types of surgery.
My heart goes out to everyone. I'm still in that boat!
Just know, I feel your pain.  Went thru a Macular pucker surgery/Vitrectomy a few years ago.   Hang in there, my heart goes out to you too.
I'm a 37 year old male and have experienced 2 RD's and 2 vitrectomy surgeries (with gas bubble) in my right eye. The retina specialist said I had lattice degeneration on both eyes, so they also did a preemptive laser surgery on my left eye to help prevent the same thing from happening to it. After both vitrectomies, I have continued to have flashes and flickers of light.

The flashes have literally looked like a camera flash bulb going off inside of my eye. These always happened when I would be startled by an unexpected sound, and when I would be laying down (face-down of course) with my eyes closed. The first time it happened was from a door slamming. But after that, it would often be a fairly soft sound, like a cell phone beeping to let you know you had a text message. In any case, it is pretty terrifying.

The flickers appear out in my peripheral vision (to the right), and sometimes happen as much as a dozen or so times during the day. I have also sometimes seen bubbles/balls/spheres of light in my peripheral vision instead of the arc-like flickers.

In any case, I am now about 6 weeks into the recovery from my last vitrectomy, my bubble is probably at about 5%. At my last check-up a week ago, the retina specialist said the retina looks good, is nice and flat, and he doesn't seem to worried about the weird stuff which I described above. I have also still had a few floaters since the last surgery, but again, he said he isn't worried about them.

I haven't come through this process unscathed though. I have some significant blind spots/streaks in my peripheral vision now (the doctor says where they concentrated the laser), and even my central vision is pretty blurry. I need new glasses, but am going to wait until the bubble is gone and probably even a little longer until after the dust settles. At my last checkup, I was seeing like 20/40 or 20/50, but the checkup prior to that, I was only seeing like 20/100, so I am hopeful that things will get better. I also have a cataract (had one before this all started, so it's probably gotten worse), but the doctor said we will deal with that a few months down the road.

I was off work for a total of almost three months, and am planning to return to the office for the first time later this week. I also drove a car again for the first time yesterday. So I am just now starting to return to some normal activities with a few remaining restrictions: no lying on my back, no heavy/strenuous lifting, and nothing too jarring or high impact.

I am a musician and have played the drums since I was 12 years old, but have yet to start playing again since the RD's. The doctor said I could start playing again if I would "start slow", but I think I'm going to hold off until he basically gives me the all-clear and says I'm totally out of the woods. I don't want to do anything prematurely that might jeopardize my recovery.

I was encouraged by much of what I read in this post, so I thought I would share my story in the hopes that it might also help someone else.
Thank you for sharing your story, and yes it does help to hear others experiences on this forum.  Sounds like you are well on your way to a good recovery.  I too had a Vitrectomy for a retina membrane.  My vision now is better than with the membrane covering my retina/macula...but have a blank spot and some remaining blur.  The retina is so delicate that the surgery, etc can mess with it, hence I am happy with what I am left with knowing it could have been so much worse.

Take care.
Marshall - or anyone else please can you PM me or reply here.

I had a vitrectomy years ago - no dramas and all went well - was just left with a frill - it bothered me a bit so 5 weeks ago had another vitrectomy to cut / trim the frill.

Well....what I'm left with is MUCH worse - Marshall I have the same thing as you (I think) like a white pulsing light running constantly up and down the peripheral right of my vision (right eye) - its pulses and flickers like a magnesium strip being lit or a ceiling fan - its does it with eyes closed and is brighter and pulsing more noticeable when going from a well lit environment to a darker room.

What is this?  My surgeon says its either retinal scarring from laser or the vitreous rebedding from where the vitreous frill was cut.  Either way anybody who has had this please let me know how long it takes to die down or go....my life has been ruined and feeling very very close to the edge now.

As I found your case is very similar to mine after reading your post. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience

I had surgery and gas bubble in my right eye one month before. I've taken very good rest for 3 weeks (though Surgeon recommended for 2 weeks). then, I've started to work on computer as I am a Software engineer.
During the 1st 4-5 days of my work resumption, I've noticed same symptoms as blurry vision (center position) and hazy vision where I am feeling difficult to read or recognize objects (just like it was before surgery). further, I have difficulty seeing in the dark/dim lighting. Not sure if these symptoms are normal (as i always wish)
I too had almost vision blindness at the time of surgery (barely I had 5% vision) like in your case.

I also request you to share few more information reg. your vision and activities you are doing with no troubles or issues

1. Did your vision restored completely? (like 100% or 90+ etc.?)
2. Are you able to drive (especially during the night times) normally like it was before?

These information will be very vital and worthy for my situation. Please provide your valuable response
With thanks and best wishes
I just came across your post and thought it might help to tell you my own experience of RD and recovery. Like you I had a very bad RD with macula off which just happened with no warning. It started with a grey cloud and worsened on over a period of 48 hours while I was waiting for a specialist to be available at my local hospital to treat me - it was a public holiday and not a good time for something like this to happen. Before I went into surgery I only had about 5% of vision remaining in my left eye.

I had a vitrectomy with a gas bubble and had to posture on my left side for five days with only 10 minutes in each hour when I could get up. Once the gas bubble started to reduce I realized that my vision had been saved but it was very blurry. At my follow up appointment two weeks later the surgeon checked his work and was happy with the outcome. However my vision was a lot worse than before the RD and had become almost doubly short-sighted and I was seeing a lot of distortion with anything circular now looking ellipse shaped, and straight edges and lines wobbly and fractured. I mentioned this to him and he said the distortion was unlikely to improve.

One
Sorry - my computer did something weird and posted inadvertently, so to continue ....

one of the side-effects of a vitrectomy, which I assume you've had, is the development of a cataract. I was warned about this by the surgeon who said I would need a cataract operation six months later - and he was right.  In theory my eye was healing but at the same time the cataract was developing, so in practice my sight was worsening! I couldn't drive at night because any lights in the darkness looked like a confusing mess. I managed during the day with my other (short-sighted) good eye and technically speaking was safe to do so wearing my normal glasses which corrected my distance vision - but since the vitrectomy on my left eye they only corrected the right eye - the lens on the left side was now useless, so I pretty much had to live life with one useful eye until I had the cataract operation back in November last year.

Now two months post cataract operation and eight months since my RD, and I can say that things have got a lot better. The IOL lens that was put in my left eye was fixed length to correct distance and it has done a reasonably good job of restoring my distance vision. I can't see as well in low light as I used to with that eye - there's a lot less definition and I think this is due to the rods and cones being damaged by the detachment. I hope it might improve with time, and I'm taking lutein supplements in the hope of reducing the likelihood of macular degeneration in the future.

The more difficult aspect has been that now my left and right eyes see very different sized images and best way to deal with that is to wear a single contact lens in my 'good' eye and use reading glasses for small text. I have to rely quite heavily on my good eye for reading things, and although my consultant says he thinks it would help if I had an IOL (effectively a cataract operation with new lens to correct my short-sightedness) in my other good eye to make this easier, I'm too wary that it could cause a detachment as it is well documented that having a cataract operation puts you at increased risk of a RD.

I still have the distortion and words can be difficult to read unless the lettering is quite large, but with my good eye doing most of the detailed work I can now lead a normal life again. But this episode has changed me quite a lot and the possibility of another detachment hangs over me like a black cloud.  I'm very fearful of doing things like travelling as if anything happened I might not be able to get emergency treatment fast enough to save my sight. I think a lot of people who have been through the same thing feel like I do. I wish someone could say "Don't worry, it's all fixed and won't happen again so go and live your life as before", but sadly there are no guarantees.

I hope that your vision improves over the coming weeks and months. It does take an awful long time for eyes to recover from this type of thing - my consultant said up to a year or more. Your consultant should thoroughly check your eye to make sure that there are no post-operative complications that are causing the blurring you describe. Just give it time and hopefully your final outcome will be good, and with any luck you will be able to resume your life just as before.
I had a cryo in my right eye then lio and 2 times laser.In my left eye i had retinal detachment operation,,,,its been almost 3 months  now i am seeing flashes of  lights.when my left eye closed i am seeing lights at down and right eye at the top nose side flashes of lights 8-9 times,,,,,,after my last laser i am seeing lines of glowing light at the bottom of the right eye , when i open my eyes i see minor lights in right eye,,when talking flashes happen more and going to lighted area i see waving lights,,,,can anyone suggest please,,my doctors said both eyes are at stable condition but still i am seeing flashes.
Thanks in advance
Hi.

I had two retinal detachments in the right eye treated with sclera buckle first and then vitrectomy. A laser on the left eye to treat a beginning of a tear. I have constant flashes of light (frequency varies but could go up to 10 every hour) in the right eye since 2 weeks after the last surgery (2 months ago) and been few times for checks. Every time they say retina is fine and stable and the flashes could be due to scars in the eye from operations and should go away. On one side it is reassuring the doctors are not worried, on the other you freak out as you never know when this could instead be a new tear leading to a detachment. Just thought to share my experience
Hello

I recently have laser operation for retinal hole  in my both eyes about a month ago. I also started to notice some sort of circulating flashes in the leftmost corner of my eye, and it is much noticeable when moving from bright sunlight to inside room and even when I close eyelids. I have consulted my doctor and she said its due to the scar and will gradually fade away, but I am very much worried.
Since you had posted similar problem about a year ago , I would like to ask for your suggestions hoping that your problem might have resolved.

had a detachment 12/29/14, the next two weeks had a total of 3 new tears in same eye.  The last time they did cryopexy and laser on two tears around 1/20/15.  This is all in the same eye.  Since the cryopexy, I have had a constant flickering light in bottom corner of same eye.  It is there every second of every day.  Even when I close my eyes.  Talk about annoying!!
I walk around like I have a flickering bulb in my face 24/7, but have gone in weekly since my tears were fixed and they chalk it up to scarring.  they really don't know what it is, but my retina has been fine.  Starting to get a flash bulb going off though in last couple weeks.  Figures, because now they pushed my appt. up to 2 months away.  I liked going in weekly.
I am mblacking out in retina eye when I sit up. Then I see stars. Has anyone else have this problem?
I had two simultaneous retinal tears in my right eye that were treated with cryopexy, gas bubble, and a week later, laser photocoagulation.  That was eight months ago.  I have two residual entopic phenomena -- an amber glow at the bottom of my eye, and a bright spiral by my temple.  I mostly notice it when I wake in a dark room.  My retina surgeon also says it is due to scarring.  It was frightening at first, but the good news is that the scars did their job and I was able to avoid further damage.  I eventually became used to it and, over time, have learned to accept the situation.  I figure that I exchanged light for darkness.  Not a bad trade.  

Regarding the "flash bulb" comment.  Did this start after your last examination?  If so, I would definitely call your doctor.
i am not sure what you mean  Have you had retinal previous surgery?
Had 2nd RD surgery. Recovering with blurry vision. But have a transient white area central vision on blinking.

Any ideas on significance?

Yes, you are blessed that your vision was saved. Unlike me, I went completely blind in the right eye even after 3 surgeries.
hey, I have similiar situation, how are you today?
Hi, I had a Vitrectomy with silicone, and the vision after 4 months has improved but I can not Read,  how are your vision today?
hi, you you still experience that "ceiling fan"?  I see it every 20 sec's
3.5 weeks Post Op for a Vitrectomy in my right eye following a retinal detachment, I had the gel drained, replaced, laser to clear up scar tissue tat was causing the detachment, & a gas bubble,  I have had floaters in my eye for over 12 months & have had constant laser treatments as well as injections to no avail.  After a coughing fit back in May, I had a major bleed and was practically blind in the one eye.  I am happy with the results, my vision is just about back to how it was 12 months back when this whole nightmare begun.  I do have the flashes, & happy to read that this seems normal.  The operation was scary, but well worth it, atleast so far.  Good luck all & thanks for sharing your experiences.
Thank you for sharing your experience.  A return to normal or near normal vision after this type of surgery is indeed something to be most grateful for.  Be sure to continue to have your eyes checked regularly and report any flashes/floaters/loss of field of vision in the other eye as the risk of RD in the fellow eye is extremely high depending on the circumstances (1-10%). Discuss that with your retina surgeon. Also ask about activities to be avoided such as contact sports, amusement park rides and other activities that whip/jerk/snap the head around.

JCH MD
I had one laser surgery (after I started seeing tiny dot of flash on top of my left eye), followed by two vitrectomy (second one with gas bubble, and third one with silicon oil and scleral buckling). All in just 2 months period. Its 2months since, and had doc visit 2 days ago. He said it looks fine, and he will decide on taking out oil in a month. The issue is I do see shimmering on peripheries of my left eye especially during day, at night it goes away completely during rest. Also I see a round flash appearing on bottom right lasting a second, every now and then, especially in bright env. I woulld like to know what this means, is it normal. Anyone any idea. Appreciate your response

Avy
These types of visual phenomena are common after your type of surgery and there are many many posts by people in this discussion and elsewhere on the eye forum (you can access using search feature).  They can come from traction on the retina, as well as produced by healing/scarring/altered function.  Telling you how long they will last is not something that can be done accurately because of the variability.

JCH MD
I had a Vitrectomy about nine days ago to correct two different types of RD (Tractional and Rhegmatogenous).  I am currently experiencing shake out.  My vision is cloudy in the area not covered by the gas bubble.  If I look at myself in the mirror, I see myself faded due to the cloudiness.  Are faded vision and cloudy vision a normal part of the recovery process that will go away?  My ophthalmologist says that my retina is still attached, but I'm concerned about both the cloudy and fading vision.  
We've said many times before that RD surgery is highly individual and recovery guidelines cannot be given as can with cataract surgery.

You do not have two types of RD. Rheg RD means due to a hole or tear Non-Rheg means no hole or tear.  Traction is one form of Rheg RD.  

These observations are common however; use the search feature and look at all the discussions of people having the same observation

JCH MD
Thanks much John for your response. I really hope it improves fast

Avy
It might help your mindset if you dial into your expectations that this is not the type of surgery that heals quickly (as a reading of the many posts here will attest) and that it usually is months before doctor and patient call judge the success of the procedure.  Best of luck. Remember that the incidence of RD is much higher in the fellow eye. Do everything you can to protect your "good eye" from injury and disease.

JCH MD
Hi John,
Would you mind sharing what steps I can take for safety of my other eye, types of exercise, diet, care etc. Your suggestions much appreciated.
Avy
Protect your eye from injuries: avoid activities with high incidence of injury, wear proper eye protection if you must use power tools or mow yards, see an ophthalmologist yearly for an eye exam.  Don't smoke or use cannabis products, if you use alcohol use it temperately, exercise regularly, watch your weight-obesity is unhealthy, have a personal physician that you see regularly, eat a good diet rich in vegetables, fruit, fiber, fish, berries, nuts. Protect your eyes and skin from excess sun exposure.

That's a good start
JCH MD
I had a retina tear on my right eye 3 weeks ago and had been treated with laser treatment. In the recent 2 weeks, have been experiencing the same circle of lights at the corner of my eye. Just wondering how you have recovered from yours after more than 6 months now? Does the flashes go away?
=
Multiple complications after retina detachment surgery

I had a retina detachment some time in September 2015, and had an operation near the end of September, where the ophthalmologist drained out the vitreous liquid of my left eyes and replaced it with (now I know) heavy silicone oil

I had a check up some weeks after the surgery (it does take quite some time for the eyes to feel not so painful) where the doctor found troubling signs - retina scarring and the presence of emulsion

So I had a second surgery yesterday where the doc drained out the heavy silicone oil and replaced it with gas. He also replaced the cataract of my left eyes

I asked the doctor how was the situation of the eye and he told me that he could only remove part of the emulsion because 'they were everywhere', and that he couldn't repair the 'scars' of the retine developed after the injection of the heavy silicone oil because it might tore up even more (healthy) retina cells nearby

Fair enough, I thought

This morning when I had a follow-up the doctor he found that I had a 'pupil capture' - which means the new 'artificial' cataract lens somehow was stuck on my pupil

Before the 'draining silicone oil' operation by left eyes had really blurry vision - now, it's totally dark

The doctor tried to dilate the left eye's pupil and then asked me to lay my head, face down, hoping that with the dilated pupil the artificial cataract lens would somehow 'pops' backwards and be released by my pupil muscle

No luck --- it still stuck, the pupil capture problem still holds

Since I only had the eye operation (in which the doctor drilled a second hole - I have two holes in my left eyes already) the doctor couldn't do anything, at least, right now

But I do feel pressure in my left eye, and tears keep flowing down, non-stop

Yes, every 2 hours I put on the eye drop, as told, but the pressure is still there, I can feel it

What can I do now? Any resident eye doctor here? Care to share your tips?

Thanks !
If you will use the search feature and archives and read the many posts about retinal detachment (RD) surgery and silicone oil in the eye you will find that this multiple operation, pain, reduced vision is extremely common. The only solace you might gain is that without this surgery these eyes generally go completely blind.  So this type of surgery is desperation surgery for eyes facing blindness.  Some of the eyes are saved and some have good or useful vision.
It is extremely important that you pay close attention to your remaining eye as it is at increased risk for a RD also.  You need to protect it from disease and injury. Be sure to have it checked also every 6-12 months by an Eye MD ophthalmologist.  That having been said I think your only option is seek a second opinion. Retina doctors must always practice in a group and you would ask if an associate would offer a fresh second opinion.

JCH MD
3 months ago, I underwent a vitrectomy, laser treatment, and gas bubble due to RD in my left eye. I am now getting regular check-ups at my eye doctor's. It turns out that prior to my surgery a considerable portion of my retina (upper left-hand corner) had been detached for quite some time, and therefore I now experience loss of vision in the lower right-hand corner of my left eye's vision field.

My question is - is it possible that the "dark area" (ie, the area of my impaired vision field) may continue to grow larger even after surgery? My doctor, at my last check-up last week, said he doesn't see anything out of the ordinary yet. Fyi, I continue to see flickering of lights in the lower part of my vision several times a day.

However, I can't help but feel that my "dark area" has grown a bit larger than,say, 2 months ago.
Assuming the retina was successfully re-attached and the gas bubble has been removed or reabsorbed the "dark area" should not grow bigger.  Discuss with your surgeon your concerns. Also your comprehensive ophthalmologist can do a visual field and keep track of peripheral vision changes.

The flickering of lights is common, many posts on same, likely due to fibrosis or contracture of retinal tissue.

JCH MD
I had a detached retina, with ZERO symptoms. Had surgery with buckle and gas bubble Nov 24. Result is complete blindness in right eye. Something to do with the anesthesia. Still unclear of what went wrong. Found out 2 days ago that the retina re detached as well! Due to the LADAR6000 malfunctioning 8 years ago and leaving my corneas scarred, without the ability to correct them with glasses, my other eye is not good either. My quality of life has taken a nosedive, without much hope of being a life worth living.
These answers sound quite scary to me and make my anxiety go up here. Sounds like terrible things have happened to some of you here. Before I had Retinal-Re-Attachment surgery approx three weeks ago, the doctor explained that having the buckle was a harder procedure for him to preform and a harder recovery to the patient, it was unlikely that I would develop cataracts in the left eye in the near future, I gave the doc my opinion that buckle would be my choice if given one, to avoid cataract surgery. Thank the lord, had emergency surgery the same day was put under, recovery was super miserable and difficult painful and since the eye nerve is connected to the stomach nerve, I was throwing up like I was pregnant again. Totally disgusting, a few days later I knew the flashing had not stopped, here I am three weeks later experience ing the same flashes and one more circular flash that lines the bottom of the left eye,and the same flashes I had at the upper inner corner of my eye which I would describe as the ceiling fan type, at my two week check up, the doc said it was not unusual to still see them. Now I'm here seeking answers and feel lucky this is my only problem.
=
I had Scleral buckle surgery and cryo repair of 6 holes for macula-off retinal detachment on 4/7, then 11 days later has Vitrectomy with 360 degree laser treatment on same eye as retina was detaching again when went in for 1 week follow-up appointment. It's been 5 days since surgery and vision still extremely blurry, can only see my hand if it's right in front of my eye. However was warned it would be very blurry until gas bubble dissolved and yesterday could not see even my hand so does seem to be starting to get better.  

What I am frightened of now is that this week when checking my other eye surgeon found I also have a detachment in that eye (from 6-8 o'clock). He is recommending Scleral buckle and Vitrectomy as 1 surgery once my right eye heals which he expects to be in ~ 1 month.  I am only in my 40s. He thinks I had detachment in right eye for 6 months and the one in left eye for ~4 months. I didn't have noticeable symptoms in right eye until only 2 weeks prior to the surgery (noticed straight lines looked wavy) and thankfully currently have good vision in the left eye but feel like I have a ticking time bomb there. My surgeon seems confident he will get both of my eyes fixed and I am trying to remain optimistic but still very scared that I will end up with loss of vision that will not allow me to drive or work anymore.  Any positive thoughts or suggestions would be helpful to me. Thank you.
you can always get a second opinion about surgery on the "good eye". You can use the search feature and archives and read the many posts by people who have had this type of surgery. Experiences vary widely and it is not possible to generalize about your recovery and prognosis.  Family members related by blood are now at a higher risk and you should advise them to see an ophthalmologist. Tell about your problem and see the Eye MD every year.  
Thank you for your answer. I was adopted and only blood family member I know is my son who is 14. Do you think he's at risk as a teenager or more likely when he's older?
Hi, Just wanted to say I have some feeling for what you are experiencing, as I have had two detachments in my left eye a week apart,  with scleral buckle, vitrectomy, laser, gas bubble. I hope all goes well with your recovery and any potential surgery. I understand your fears about driving, etc. As of now I can still drive. I am trying to enjoy each day as it comes. Take care.
Thank you for your thoughts. Though my family and friends are supportive to me as I'm going through this it's difficult to explain what I'm feeling or seeing (or not seeing), so it is nice to have found this board where there are others who have experienced retinal detachments.
=
Yes he will be especially if myopic. However the risk is in an absolute sense low. Standard risk of RD in general population without risk factors is about 1 in 7000    For relatives of a person that has had a spontaneous RD but who themselves do not have high risk characteristics (such as high myopia or lattice) the risk might be 1 in 1000
Thank you, Dr. Hagan! So far my son has no myopia, whereas I started to wear glasses for nearsightedness at age 10.  I'm hoping he's inherited his dad's eyes (as he's had perfect vision) but will certainly make sure  my son gets his eyes checked regularly.
Update: So on 5/12/16 I had scleral buckle with vitrectomy and gas bubble in my left eye. Gas bubble has been gone since last Friday. Only vision I have now in the eye is blurry vision in the left peripheral area. At optometrist appt today could not even see light from her Snellen chart box when my right eye was covered. Optometrist says she thinks I have a macular pucker. I see my surgeon tomorrow. Just wondering what treatment options there are for macular puckers?
Best of luck
Hello doctor,  I just wanted to ask you that I just had my silicon oil removed from right eye it's been 6 days now but I see few black spots but they dont apear continually they are like come and go after few minutes is it notmal, or do I need to do surgery again my doctor is out of station and can't call him so hope you can tell me what should I do?  
Your best bet is to see what the surgeon says tomorrow as this type of surgery is so individualized and different that it is impossible to generalize.  
Thank you for responding. On way to see surgeon and thinking will probably also get a second opinion prior to having a 4th surgery in under 2 months time.
Thanks for the update. Good luck
Turns out not a pucker but left retina has detached again, larger than first detachment, including the macula, now with macula hole. Surgeon referred me to another retina specialist to get a second opinion as he says my retinas are not acting in the normal mode. He believes I may need scar tissue removed as was "chronic" detachment which he thinks I'd had for 4 months prior. I see this second surgeon this afternoon. Good news is right eye remains stable.
So when you saw the optometrist last time you had a RD and the optom did not see. Glad you saw the retina surgeon.  Say once again do everything you can to protect your good eye from injury, disease and bad lifestyle habits like smoking, obesity, high blood pressure, bad diet, etc.
Thank you, definitely will do all I can to protect it. Vision is so precious! Plan after seeing second retina specialist today is for another surgery on left eye Monday to first remove scar tissue then try gas bubble again,  with surgeon saying will need strict facedown positioning for 2 weeks. He said if this doesn't work then oil would be next step. He said could take up to a year to really know what final visual outcome will be after reattach meant. I realize possibly may never get really good vision back in left eye but going to hope for the best. Though I didn't have a hole in the right macula the right eye was a macula-off detachment also and I've returned to 20/25 corrected vision 6 weeks post-op so I like to think my eyes have a high capacity for healing. :)  In the meantime I am going to try to stay focused on the vision I do have rather than what I don't have. I will quit bothering you now with my comments. I just recall that when my issues first began in April and I was scared and desperately searching for info on this topic I knew nothing about that reading entries on this particular forum was very helpful, so maybe something I ask or you say could somebody else in the future. Thanks again!
=
=
Is it possible for the retina to re-detach while you have an oil bubble in the eye. Since my above post I had 2 additional surgeries on the left eye, the first with longer lasting gas bubble on 6/6. After ~6 weeks it redetached again so then had a oil bubble put in on 7/22. The macula hole has not closed and my retina surgeon has told me he does not think it ever will. Also learned I have PVR in the eye. Regained some peripheral vision towards the left which I have been grateful for. When last saw surgeon at end of September retina attached in all quadrants and though macula hole not closed there was no fluid at all under the retina. Now since Friday I have darkness in the eye. If I'm outside in bright sunlight I do still have some faint vision but indoors in nonbright light I see barely anything. I am planning to call my retina surgeon's office first thing tomorrow morning but just wondering if it's even possible that it has detached since it has oil in it? I thought it was practically impossible for it to with the oil but concerned that since I still have hole in macula that somehow the oil may have gotten behind the retina?
Unfortunately it is possible for the retina to detach even if sclera buckle or gas or oil.
Thanks for answering back. Although hoping for a different answer I suspected that it was possible. As I said will be calling my surgeon's office in the morning. Appreciate this forum. I'm going to stay focused on being thankful that my other eye is stable. I have been back to work for the past 2 months, driving, and living life fairly normally with the one good eye during these months. Of course I want to preserve as much vision as I can in the left eye but know that one can still have a full and happy life with just one eye.
Protect the good eye from injury. Have it examined at least yearly by an eye MD with a dilated pupil exam. Live a healthy lifestyle, don't smoke, eat a good diet, avoid acitivities associated with eye injuries and consider wearing glasses for protection even if the good eye not need a prescription lens, don't smoke or use nicotine or cannabis, don't get obese.
Thank you, Dr. Hagan, for your words of advice. Luckily I'm not a smoker and will do my best to follow the rest. Turns out the retina did detach again even wth the oil in, from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock, and macula hole still there (which was not unexpected news) with new scar tissue apparently pulling on the retina. So retina surgery #6 is scheduled for tomorrow. He did take a look at my other eye to reassure me that all is OK with it, and fortunately it is stable. He said no signs of PVR in that eye. Thanks again for your words of advice.
I don't know why there are extra characters but I had written "Luckily I'm not a smoker" and "from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock"
Best of luck with both eyes.