Eye Care Expert Forum
Flashing sliver of light

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Flashing sliver of light
I am seeing a small strobing/flashing thin pizza shaped sliver of blueish light on the inner left eye field of vision. When i follow it it slowly disappears. It comes and goes. My iphone has a crack in it and i was staring at it at night walking home before this began. Could this be the cause. However I am alarmed because now it comes and goes and won't go away. Should I be go see a doctor?
Yes, you should see an ophthalmologist for a dilated exam.  The flash of light (photopsia) could indicate a vitreous detachment, or a retinal tear/detachment.