Flashing white lights while eyes are closed
Hi there, ive noticed something when i go to bed at nights, whenever i close my eyes i can see a white flashing light as if there are several camera's in a dark room around me, or as if i am holdin my eyes too tightly, this continues on until i drop off to sleep. do you have any suggestions as to what this might be?? it never happens if i am closing my eyes in a light room only in a dark room.
I too have the condition you describe.  I've been seeing this for the last 2-1/2 years.  It first came evident as a small spiralling motion of that light source, and my 'test' indicated it was in the left eye.  Since then, I've consulted with numerous retina and glaucoma specialists, who all say it is due to posterior vitreous detachment (pvd).  This condition occured due to my aging eye according to their explanation, and is not a vision threatening condition.  However, you should be watchful for the presence or increase in floaters, the objects that move across your eye and seen when the eyes are open.  That can signal retinal tearing or other retinal problems.  In my case, the spiralling 'light' condition has worsened, and now presents itself when the left eye is opened, too.  Even now, the retina MD's see no retinal distress.  Just be watchful and don't ignore changes in your condition.    
Hi, thanks for that. where did you get your eyes checked out? did you go to the optician or docs??
You should see an Optometrist for your eye health; an Optician for glasses...but the smart thing to do is to always go to an Optometrist....he/she can evaluate the health of your eyes and prescribe your need for new glasses too.
The 'floaters' are pretty normal for people who are older and nearsighted...don't panic; it's part of God's aging process :), but as Russell903 pointed out, if you begin to get a 'waterfall' effect of the floaters, you should see an Optometrist...

http://www.agingeye.net/visionbasics/flashesandfloaters.php
http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/floaters/
For glasses fitting see an optician, for non-medical things like contact lens see an optometrist. for serious medical and surgical problems and to have a regular eye exam done by the most competent and well trained individual see an Ophthalmologist, a MD physician trained in medical and surgical care of the eye.

The lights you describe are most likely "entopic phenomena"  use the search feature to read about this and also the section on Wikipedia.

JCH MD
thanks for your help (and im only 19). i have been to the optomerist today and he mentioned that i have cupping at the back of my eyes, he done a "field" test where i had to focus on my orange dot in a big white bowl and click when i saw a flash, my right eye was good but i didnt see so many with my left, i hav to go back on saturday as he thought that i may have missed a few because my eye had got tired, so we'l see what the outcome is on saturday xx
Consider telling your parents that it was suggested you see a MD ophthalmologist not an optometrist.

JCH MD
Hello when i go to bed  at times  I see light and other weird looking things, has this anything to do with computer use or keratoconus.

Thank

Hi doctor,
My mother had a pituitary adenoma surgery last Thursday and after that, she has a vision problem she see a brilliant white light with her eyes open and even closed. The neurosurgeon told her that "" it's normal because the optic chiasm was compressed strongly by the tumor but after the surgery he will regain its original shape, soon "".

My questions are:
It's true, what the neurosurgeon did say !!!
Is the brilliant light, a good sign of possibility to see again !!!
Pituitary tumors often press on the optic chiasm when they get big enough to grown out of the depression in the bone it sits in. The most common symptoms are loss of field of vision in both eyes on the outside peripheral vision and perhaps some loss of central vision.

It is likely that the bright light she sees may be due to pressure from the tumor. I would suggest a referral to an ophthalmologist for a consultation whih should include plotting visual field tests.

It is not possible to tell how much, if any, vision will improve post operatively and loss is some times permanent and some times its worse after surgery if the tumor surrounds and grows into the optic nerve pathways.  In those cases removing the tumor means removing some or all of the optic nerve.

JCH MD
Thank you doctor for your reply but just a last question : There is a possibility that the chiasm optic regenerate if it was damaged after surgery
Brain tissue does not regenerate like peripheral nerves do.

JCH MD
hello my name is dolly I have arthritis and deal with displaced souls as a part of my job. Ive suffered and battle depression. I have been off my arthritis meds fear it was causing the blinding flashing lights or a negetive image like for photos when I close my eyes its been over a year since taking 200 mg of plaqunil.now I feel ache in my head, and body.Like flu but not. these flashes will happen random like same with body ache. also one last thing just before it happens my head will feel tender to touch like someone has pulled on it super hard. twice It felt like a little goose egg in same spot above myleft eyebrow. the ache runs down my spine and the muscles ache. thank you for you time and experiances youve got.
All My Relations
Dolly
All My Relations
Dolly
Your symptoms are not at all typical for plaquanil toxicity.  That medication generally causes a toxic macular degeneration "target maculopathy" Moreover any adverse reaction to plaquanil rarely occurs until on medicine 5 years or more. 200 mgm/day is a relatively small dose.

I would suggest your MDs refer you to a neuro-ophthalmologist  If you live in USA find one near you at www.geteyesmart.org

JCH MD
It's normal. Don't let these wackadoos tell you otherwise. It just means your pineal gland is working on dreams and sending them to your mind for when you fall asleep. Hence the white light coming from the centre of your brow and shining down over your eyes.