Eye Care Expert Forum
Floaters/Flashes of Light

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Floaters/Flashes of Light

Male, age 62, athletic, great health, overall.  Have had some floaters from time to time for about 15 years.  Only in my right eye.  Never in my left.  Never a real bother until last week.  Major increase in floaters last week in right eye.  Flashes of light (peripheral only) accompanied this unusual increase in number and size of floaters. No longer have the periphal light flashes but the floaters seem to be increasing and are getting very distracting.  Some are web-like and some are large and I can see hundreds of very tiny floaters if I concentrate focusing on them.  What can I do or what do I have?  TIA
This is one of the most common reasons for posting questions here on the AAO website. Please use the search feature on this webpage to look up "floaters" and "posterior vitreous detachment". Also use Google Images to search for pictures of same.

You need to see an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) as soon as possible for a dilated peripheral retina exam to be sure you do not have a retinal tear, hole, detachment or vitreous hemorrhage.

JCH III MD Eye Physician & Surgeon

Im normanly post on the ms site im 32 and waiting a MRI which i get on the 14th of August i have many sx which match ms but i will wait and see what the MRI says. My question is i get flashes of white light in front of my eyes which wake me up at night (along with electric type pains) but i also have lots of floaters in front of my eyes recently and blurred vision like there is a film over my eye i also get pain behind the eye like a pressure, i was unsure if i should get this checked out at a optitians or wait to my MRI though even though i have the MRI on the 14th i dont see my consultant to the 5th of september. Any advise would be helpfull.

Heres the thing....I am 47 years old and the other day I see a black cloud come across my left eyeball.  Reminded me of all the James Bond movies that start off with Bond shooting the eye, and blood would drip down the eyeball.  I then started to see black smoke.  I went to the eye doctor the next day who found that I have 2 retina tears.  I was referred to a specialist who then zapped me with laser to seal the tear.  My question is that I work out 3 times a day with weights....when can I continue with the exercise program and was there anything that I did that would have caused the tear?  I have not had any injury to my eye....and only had a Lasic Surgery to correct nearsightedness back in 1997 with no problems.  Thank you in advance for your help.
Hello Uk2    Unless your symptoms worsen or new symptoms appear waiting for your scheduled appointments would seem acceptable. If the consultant is not an ophthalmologist then you should try and make an appointment with one.

Hello Rocketraj   The most important person in post operative care "do's" and "don't's" is the surgeon. Therefore you should ask specifically of your eye surgeon when you can return to your full exercise program. Sooner or later you'll be completely released. Also know that your exercise did not cause your retinal tear. Studies have shown that runners do not have higher rates of retinal tears/detachments/holes.

JCH III MD Eye Physician & Surgeon
Hi thanks for your reply

been away so not been on the site

my eyes got worse on holiday and i went to see a opthalmologist as they felt awfull but she said they were fine slight long sighted and gave me a prescription but she thought it was neuro based, the eyes settled again but today have flarred up my left eye is twitchy and i have focus problems and they are blurred only when i move my eye from one place to another, i guess ill get some answers tomorrow as going for my MRI.
Hello uk2.  Hope things turn out well. If a definitive diagnosis is established please let us know.

JCH III MD