Eye Care Expert Forum
Floaters after Cataract surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Floaters after Cataract surgery

If Floaters are a result of Age-Related Macular Degeneration, why is it the Doctors do not discuss this before Cataract Surgery.

I was shown a movie, but there was nothing in the movie about floaters. I had never experience Floaters, until after the operation.

Can doctors make a mistake during the operation? I now have large cobweb floaters in both eyes.

Can the vitreous be removed and replaced with salt water? If so, what are the risks.

James Harber
james_harber2001***@****

Tags: floaters
Cataract surgery doesn't create floaters but it does hasten the degeneration of the vitreous which occurs with aging anyway.  Since there is not substitute for modern cataract surgery when it is needed, the small chance that floaters might be worsened a little bit it a rather acceptable risk since they often improve with time and the brain learns to ignore them.  I'm sorry that your floaters are bothering you more after surgery.  Assuming the surgery was done well there is really no blame to be dealt out.  It's just something that can occur sometimes.  Surgery for floaters is rarely recommended since they often improve over time and the risks outweigh the benefits.  Finally one special situation to be aware of is that some surgeon inject steroid into the vitreous during the surgery.  Those type of floaters usually go away in a month or two if that if what you had.

MJK MD
I am NOT a doctor, but have had cataract surgery.  I had floaters prior to surgery, and then after surgery.  I have them now only very rarely.  I cannot even think of the last time I experienced one and I am 1 /2 years out.   I do not have macular degeneration, so I don't think that floaters are confined to those who do.  I remember my doc telling me that it could take one year to get rid of floaters after the surgery. I know I haven't answered to the question about why you specifically now have floaters, but I can tell you that of my friends who have had cataract surgery all had them to some degreee or another after cataract surgery, but diminished over time.  
Dear the jazzi,

It is common to experience floaters after cataract surgery. This results from a separation of the vitreous from its normal attachments after the natural lens is removed. It is important for you to observe for flashing lights when your eyes are closed, a curtain or a sudden change in the number of floaters.  These symptoms can occur with retinal detachments and require immediate treatment.  Usually, floaters will become less noticeable with time.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California