Eye Care Expert Forum
Floaters after YAG Laser treatment

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Floaters after YAG Laser treatment

I am 38 now and had a congenital cataract removed from left eye when I was 21.  Four weeks ago I had a YAG laser to clear out build up on the lens implant.  The first YAG did not go well.  Apparently there was a "curtain" of protien, cells and or old cataract hanging from the top of the eye casting a shadow on the bottom of my eye.  The surgen suggested a second YAG treatment.  I had that done and the shadow now is gone but my eye feels like a "snow globe" with many bits of small and large floaters and occassionally I see a opaque blur crossing my field of central vision.  The surgeon ruled out any retina issues.  He said it will take time for the body to absorb the debris in my eye.

Questions I have:  Is this true?  Can the body actually absorb the debris?  If so is there anything I can do to accelerate this?  Secondly if the body does not absorb it what are some other alternatives and associated risks?
Dear juancm12,

Usually, the floaters will reduce over time after a YAG treatment.  I would see your doctor again if you experience flashing lights that persist with eyelid closure, a sudden  change in the number of floaters or a curtain in your peripheral vision.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Dr. Feldman, thank you for your resonse.

I have a few follow up questions:

How long does it usually take for the floaters to resolve?  Could it be weeks / months?

Is inflamation (inflammation) a friend or foe in this situation or a little of both.  Reason I ask is that the surgeon said there was a little inflation but nothing that is out of control and that the body was working at removing the larger floater / debris in the eye.  I take pharm grade fish out and that is said to reduce inflamtion.  Is this a good thing or not.  Should I stop taking the fish oil for a while?
What kind of congenital cataract did u have removed? I have a congenital cataract & lens abnormality in my left eye that causes me to be clinically blind in that eye. What was your vision like before & after it was removed? I have large floaters in my eyes, so I feel your pain. Good luck! I'm 29 & female by the way...
Not sure what type of cataract it was.  I could not see at all before the surgery only had vision around the perifery of my eye.  Now I have 20/30 in that eye.  I guess I am pretty lucky in that respect.

Have you ever had YAG surgery after the cataract surgery?  Everything was fine after the cataract surgery.  Problems occured after the YAG surgery for me.
That's how I see out of my bad eye, only with peripheral vision. I've asked opthamologists about surgery on the eye, but they've told me it probably wouldn't help much... as my brain "shut off" vision to the eye when I was younger... Were u told this as well?
No I was told before the surgery that they could not gaurentee the outcome.  I took the risk and did it.  I was fortunate that my brain developed to a point where I could at least see.  Even though I am 20/30 in that eye things look different.  It is not as clear, bright and crisp as the other eye.  I would not feel comfortable if I had to rely on it 100% for driving lets say but it made a big difference in my eye site with both eyes.  My right eye alone is 20/20, my left 20/30 with both I am 20/15.

Hope that helps.  Just get a few more opinions. I don't know may people with the same eye problem I have.  Let me know what you decide to do.
Ok, thanks for your information! :) Your story gives me some hope. The cataract & lens abnormality I have is called Posterior lenticonus. I have a cataract, and the lens of my eye is kind of a cone shaped in the posterior portion of the lens. That's the best way I can describe it. I think like 1 in 100,000 children are born with it. Where did you have your eye surgery done? Did u have any complications following the surgery?
I has the surgery done in New Jersey in 1992.  If you want I can email you the doctor I went to.

I had not real complications after the surgery.  I was young and it healed up well.  THe only complication I had was 16 years later when I had the YAG done just recently which caused the floaters.