Eye Care Community
Floaters after eye dilation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Floaters after eye dilation

The day after getting an eye dilation exam, I noticed a large cobweb floater in one of my eyes.  I didn't connect the two at first until I realized it happened consistently.  I now have large cobweb floaters in both of my eyes that keep getting bigger with each exam ... it's been about 8 years since my first dilation exam and they are not getting any better.  Has anyone heard of this before?  My eye doctors recommend that I keep getting the exams but I'm worried.
It's not because of the dilation. It's because you are 8 years older. Use the search feature and read about floaters. More as we get older
JCH MD
I understand that floaters increase with age (I've read about a hundred articles that all pretty much say the same thing) ... but I also know that at age 24 I walked in for my first eye exam with no floaters.  The next day, this stringy black mass appeared in my left eye ... extending pretty much from the top of my peripheral vision to the bottom.  At the time, I connected it more to the eye doctor making some mistake and not the eye exam so I stopped going there.  Several years later (and no new floaters), I found another eye doctor and had another eye exam and the next day a long string appeared in my right eye ... that is when I realized that it was not the doctor but something about the exam.  All the doubt I had that this might just be a weird coincidence was cleared when I scheduled another exam with a specialist and had the floaters appear again.  I'm just trying to figure out the connection between the two but can't find the answer ... I've found a few similar posts but with no answers.  I know the exams are important, but at this rate, I won't be able to see well enough to drive when I'm 35.
You certainly can believe what you wish but none of the medications used for dilation cause floaters.  

JCH MD

I too developed eye floaters after my first exam as well. Never had any problems till now with my eyes. I can see if if was only only one eye, but my floaters developed in both eyes at the same time after my first ever eye exam ever. I'm 29 years old. It is depressing. I can also see if I noticed a sudden increase in them but no, they just appeared right after my exam.
I found this thread after doing a search, because I just had my eyes dilated during an exam yesterday and today I'm noticing floaters that were never there before. I'm quite positive that it's from the exam. I'm over 40 years old - and it would be quite a coincidence that in my nearly 15,000 days of life here on this earth, that floaters appear the day after my exam.
I developed floaters and extreme light sensitivity 24 hrs after my first eye exam in 20
years. I know it's no coincidence and I resent the arrogance of doctors who
say this is impossible. I went for the exam because of entopion.
a condition that can cause dry irritation. Now I have 2 new problems I never
had before
I think perhaps it is the combination of dilation and the extremely bright light used to examine the eyes that is the cause.  The first time both were done was to determine the cause of a tiny black spot - the Dr. said it was a vitreous detachment.  The next day, I had lines in both eyes.  I had not had anything in the right eye before the exam.  I thought it was a coincidence so went for the same exam the following 2 years.  Each time - the NEXT day I had almost double the lines/dots in both eyes.  This past one was the worst.  My right eye is full of squiggly lines and dots.  It is VERY difficult to focus around them and I am a reading teacher!  I will not have this exam again.  I cannot afford to lose the little areas of unobstructed vision I have left.  I am extremely near-sighted and also farsighted.
7 years ago I had an eye exam.   On my way home, the right eye burned and felt like it was scratched..  I went back for a follow up visit but was told they could find nothing on the eye then  give me drops. It went away in a few weeks but felt terrible.

2 weeks ago I decided to go for an exam (different doctor) he asked me if I had floaters which I then asked, " what are they"  Exam completed and was told my eyes are healthy.  Tthe next day I had a gray shadow which was very bothersome.  I went back to the doctor who told me it was a floater and there is nothing you can do because it is age related. I did not have this before my eye exam.  Then next day the right eye developed black squiggly lines.  I can not believe this is due to age but how can one prove this without a medical experience.
The same thing has happened to me.  in july 2011 had no floaters, had the eyes dialted.  asked to come back 2 weeks later due to dry eye issues, and bam floaters started appearing.  Then in Jan 2012 2 weeks after my eye appt again more floaters.  it seems right after my eyes get dialted floaters have been appearing.  
Also when you tell a doctor such as the guy in this forum in the above posts, they don't believe you but they don't know EVERYTHING.  

There are so many things people complain about and doctors think they know 100% but they don't.  Just because it doesn't happen to everyone it may happen to 2% of the population for example.  

Doctors should start taking these complaints into account and see if they can find a trend of it happening to people rather than bashing them.
Same happened to me. I never had floaters until I had an eye test. The dilation drops really hurt my eyes and I rinsed them copiously when I got home. My left eye recovered from being sore next day but my right eye was still sore and blurred. Then the floaters appeared in my right eye a week later. Three weeks later they were worse, blurring vision, this time accompanied by flashes of light. I'm going to the doctor's with the problem next week
Most Doctors tend to go along with whatever they are indoctrinated with, with during their many years of education. Those are the same doctors prescribing medications, many of which, do more harm than good, which is a clear violation of The Hippocratic Oath (First, do no harm). We live in an unnatural society today, with people pumped full of psychoactive drugs, it's no wonder so many are going nuts and becoming violent. Back to my point, most doctors and pharmacists go along with the brainwashing they receive in medical school, handing out pills for everything. At the same time, they frown on any natural approach to wellness on the part of the patient.
Getting back on topic...several weeks ago, I had my first dilated eye exam. As they were about to put drops in my eyes, and explained what the drops were for, I made it clear that I had never had a dilated eye exam. The technician acted like it was no big deal and I figured they are doing this to millions of patients around the world and I am just behind the times, so I went along with it. After the exam, I was about to leave, but despite having very dark sunglasses with me, I was totally blinded upon exiting the building and couldn't even focus on the cars for the sun beating down on them. I went back inside and they gave me reversal drops (which is a joke - because those drops take hours to reverse anything). My eyes felt heavy for the balance of the week. I can see about the same as before the drops, however, my eyes sometimes feel heavy and irritated like they did following that dilation procedure. I am not against scientific progress, but I think the general public is just too quick to trust the latest so-called advancements in medicine. I believe that the dilation procedure may be just fine for millions of people, but maybe there are millions more who's eyes don't fit into the box of their safety studies. Everyone is unique, so maybe this dilation procedure is not such a good idea for all of us. I have made a personal choice to never have it performed again, as I think it's dangerous to play around with our vision. Also, I understand those drops to be toxic and that they kill cells within the eye.
In my case, the floats also appeared after a dilated eye exam. I had 5 exams in a year and in that year the floaters deteriorated massively. I am from Argentina, Sudamerica.
As a technician in the industry for the past 20 years perhaps I can clear some things up. The drops we use at UVA and in most offices are Tropicamide and Phenylephrine hardly toxic but you can look them up on the google if you like.

What you endured was called a cycloplegic exam.  Often a technician will need to stop the eyes’ ability to auto-focus or accommodate in order to determine a person’s true prescription for glasses. To do this, we use a cycloplegic eye drop. The drop temporarily paralyzes the ciliary muscle inside the eye, this muscle is attached to the crystalline lens of the eye and it contracts or relaxes to make the lens change its shape. When the lens can no longer change its shape, there is no opportunity for the person to auto-focus and what you are left with is the best measurement of a person’s refractive error, in other words, their true, most accurate, glasses prescription.

Perhaps you were hypersensitive to the drops and the effects lingered for days? Indeed there  ARE eye drops (Cyclogyl) that will cause prolonged dilation and even cycloplegia in adults. If one of these was administered by mistake you could feel the effects for days...tho there would be no permanent damage.

The other day I took a picture of a guys retina that had a fairly large melanoma in it...this is a VERY deadly cancer due to it's proximity to the brain. The man was there for a routine check up, glasses etc and agreed to be dilated.

You can of coarse choose to defer a dilated exam, if you only need glasses and have no care to have the latter 75% of your eyeballs examined just let the tech know.
As someone who recently had my eyes examined, dilated a week later & now have dot & stringy floaters that I DID NOT HAVE prior to having eyes dilated I am having a hard time not seeing the cause being the dilation process!! After the basic exam (my husband & I had our eye exam on same day, he had his eyes dilated day of exam so I waited a week for my dilation part so that I could drive us home) my eyes felt fine, no floaters, strings, pain...then a week later, after my dilation process my eyes stung as well as felt itchy  (which I told the examiner & was told that was normal). I thought, OK, normal...all good, then slightly increased prescription glasses arrived & I started wearing thinking things would get better...but as time went on my eyes felt worse, various floater styles appeared in my left eye, both eyes felt swollen & strained as well as bothersome! Went back to old glasses/prescription HOPING that would help. Well, thank God the right eye started feeling better BUT, the left eye did not! Called the eye examiner facility, explained my issue, got in as soon as they could see me, was told prescription correct, eyes look fine, was told that it was likely a "coincidence" of my age (57) & timing of my dilation exam! I still have these stringy & dot like floaters STILL appearing in my left eye of which I did NOT have prior to my exam AND I was the same age before my exam as I was after...the ONLY addition to my eye was the dilation chemical! Coincidence, I think NOT! So, now my question is seeing I am NOT the only one who is dealing with the issue AFTER having eyes dilated & some are younger I wonder IF anyone is looking into this "COINCIDENCE"!?!? I now "get" to go see an Ophthalmologist as soon as one can see me AND I can afford the visit to see what, why, how this happened to my eye! Sadly the stringy/dot floaters are so bothersome I just want to stay in the dark where they are not as noticeable! Too try to make someone believe this is  'JUST A COINCIDENCE' is shameful by any one in the know for OBVIOUSLY it is not...ANY is too many to having this 'coincidence'! Praying to God to find way to reverse the damage done by this year's eye exam! Charlie
I went for an eye exam back in January of this year. Doctor tested me for all different kind of eye disease. I refused to have my eyes dilated because it freaked me out. After that exam, I was seeing floaters and cobwebs everyday. After about a month, I called the eye doctor and they told me to come in and I would need to be dilated. Everything checked out fine and the doctor told me they were just floaters. He also said if there were any changes to my floaters, flashes of light. or a curtain veil to come back in right away. Everything has been the same since then. I still cannot stand that I see these floaters everyday.  I definitely think the lights and drop they use wake up the floaters in your eyes.  Because why do they say always wear sunglasses out in the sun.  So when they use those lights, drops, or take an xray with that opto machine, how can that be good for your eyes?
Hi, I had these drops put in my eye for an eye check up for dilation, but after a week later I started to get eye brow pain that wouldn't go away, so I went back they check my eyes again and pressure said it was fine, but headaches got worse and into my forehead to top of head, so I went to doctor and go antibiotics and now im on the last day of my antibiotuics and got that same pain when I focus on the pc or look at brighter objects in that same right eye?  do you think it could have cause some damage or anything that could be possible to this.. since ive been on antibtiocs I have had no headaches, but today the last day I felt slight pain in that right eye where the eye brow bone is, also that eye see's not as sharp as the left eye. although in my test they were both the same in distant -2.00. can you advice me?>
So glad to find others who find this COINCIDENCE hard to believe.  I think the drops make it easier for the exam, but I wonder how much damage is being done.  My vision hasn't changed in almost 20 years, but I broke my glasses, and since I hadn't had an exam in about 5 years, I had to have one to get a new pair.  Full dialation and extended time under the intense bright lights, and now I have a couple of floaters.  There is no question in my mind about this.  I think the Drs. refusal to acknowledge the connection is because they view it as a 'greater good', and if a few benign floaters pop up, well, that's too bad.   I would like to start a movement of sorts to find out really how often the post eye exam issues occur.  And I don't want anyone telling me it is because I am over 50!   A bit off topic but similar Dr reaction, I found the same attitude over the years re birth control pills (when I was younger, and then for my college age daughter).  Both of us were healthy, and neither of us had pms mood issues, but on BC we both became depressed.  Since BC pills actually seem to provide an emotional lift for some women and are sometimes  actually prescribed to smooth out the cyclical mood swings, the Drs. don't admit that, in a person whose moods are not a problem (don't have huge hormonal swings) that taking hormones could cause huge emotional upheaval.  
I am experiencing the same problem.  Had my exam with eye dilation fluid on Sep. 30, '13 the next couple of days a couple of floaters became evident in my right eye.  I'm thinking this is really strange- before the exam i'd never had this problem so i went back to the same office Nov. 27, 13 since the doctor wanted to make sure there was no other problems associated with these floaters although everything had checked out fine a month earlier. She dilated my right eye only again and said everything looked fine. She commented that the floaters may get worse do to my age and gave me her cell phone number since it was the holiday and asked me to call if they did.  She also said the floaters could get word in 2 weeks or could improve.  My vision checked out the same and has not changed in a few years and I am 53.  The very next day after opening my eyes the floaters covered my entire right eye. I definitely believe there is a connection between the dilation fluid that is used these floaters.  This is so very irritating - and I'm praying they will go away.
Dr. Hagan - Your comment that floaters are primarily age-related is not supported by the posts since many -if not most- are from people in their 20s and 30s.  It would be helpful if the medical community actually listened to the experiences of people who had floaters appear, for the FIRST TIME IN THEIR LIFE, immediately following a dilation exam.  There is more evidence of cause and effect than of simple  coincidence.  Dismissing these testimonials helps no one, and just creates distrust.  Of course, in depth eye exams can be valuable, but if the cost is having an ever increasing number of floaters that diminish our vision, then perhaps the med community should find an alternative method.
I'm 21 years old now and when I was 17 i had an eye dilation to check my myopia degree and then I started to use glasses, in this period I didnt noticed any floaters ,I think floaters is related with age or stress or other health issues , 3 months ago my floaters increased terrible also i noticed that my palm of hand  and feet are wrinkling so bad
My eyes have not been the same after the eye doc dilated my eyes what the heck, I feel like there buldging out of my head just like the feeling after being dilated and 1 eye waters all the time????? So after reading alot of post I still don't see an answer to alot of the question?? O and so much more sensetive to sunlight...
In the last six months I made several eye tests with dilation drops. and it appears that the density of my eye floaters increased drastically within that period. increase seem to be correlated with the exam, though I cannot state that for sure. I asked the doctors if the drops and test can be a cause, and they just say no. However, the problem is that there is no procedure done to evaluate the amount of floaters, no single number in the exams results that state their density shape or other factors, even if you come to the doctors in the first place with this as the issue. How anyone can deduce any conclusions or ask the right questions if no such evaluation is made !? I can easily see how so many people may ask the doctors those same questions, and each doctor just say there is no effect, kind of ignoring the effect and not logging the assumption and complaint in the data sheets so alot of potentially important data is lost.
I had an dilated drop eye exam today and was actually looking for the reason why my floaters disappeared after which can be explained here http://vitreousfloatersolutions.com/dilation-effects/large-vs-small-pupil/#comment-178034  
I would recomend this site it has alot of information regarding eye floaters. It does not approach this question tho and i really am aware at how annoying and stressful these floaters can be! My floaters developed at an early age and the more i read and stress about it, the more it is apparent. Could these coincidences or lack of coincidences be attributed to awareness? Eye exams can be stressful and you can question your sight and while your pupils are dilated you do not see floaters then when they return to regular movement you will see them again or notice them for the first time? as you are very aware of your eyesight at this time.  i have no proof of this of course! it just occurred to me that with my floaters disappearing for a small time after an eye exam, people may attribute them reappearing and possible first recognition to 'developing floaters from their eye exam ?  possible?
A few weeks ago I developed huge new floaters on the way home from a trip to the eye doctor. This occurred after the doctor examined my eye with a bright light, not even a dilation.  I didn't want the dilation for fear I couldn't drive myself home.  The bright light really hurt and for some reason the tech took a long time doing the glacoma test that day.  On the way home I suddenly had huge amounts of different types of floaters.  I turned around and went back and the doctor did a dilated eye exam and told me "it must by chemical."  The floaters have continued severely disrupting my vision.  I also have a cataract lens that isn't compatible with my post-RK eye correction from 20 years ago.  I can no longer drive after dark and have to wear dark glasses most of the time even to watch TV.  My eye is a mess with halos, double images, light sensitivity and a lot more.  I'm afraid to go back and have by eye examined anymore for fear of more problems!  Anyone else have these experiences?
I just want to add myself to the list of people with this problem. I have had floaters (several) almost my whole life, but they had gotten to the point where I barely noticed them (only in very overcast or snowy conditions). I had a dilated eye exam six weeks ago. The bright light shining in my eyes REALLY hurt. Was told everything looked fine. I get home and now the floaters are everywhere, pretty much all the time. I even see a few indoors, which I never did before. It's very frustrating and I am ruing the decision to ask for a test to check on the status of a condition that only made it worse ... far worse.
Happened to me too. Had a dilation test a little more than a week ago. Exactly a week after the test noticed my first ever floater. Is a small black dot, comes and goes and never usually lasts for more than a few seconds, but it's happened every day since then. My eyes still feel more sensitive to light after the test. Seems too much of a coincidence not to be connected, and the fact this has happened to others suggests this is a side-effect that they don't warn you about/know about/would rather keep quiet. I'm 35, I just wear glasses for computer work and am otherwise healthy.
I don't think everyone in this forum that has noticed this can be wrong. There's something going on that the medical community isn't talking about. I can't remember when my floaters started but each time I've had my eyes dilated, my floaters have become worse. I'm to the point I don't think I want to have my eyes dilated anymore.
Add another to the list.  Had an exam yesterday with dilation, and 15 minutes ago I suddenly was aware of a cobweb in my right eye that was not there yesterday (I have had one in my left eye forever).  Googled and found this thread...sorry doctor, this is a real thing.
Yes, I too am suffering because of separated vitreous (floaters) appearing in my eye directly after having the eyes dilated for routine eye glass exam.   My vision is now considerably compromised and I am fearful of every having an exam again.
The interesting thing in my case was as I left the exam and got into the car to go home, I noticed the veins on the palm side of my hands were about three times larger than normal and the webbing of my fingers were all black and bruised.  I was told without question by the retina specialist that dilation does not cause floaters.  I beg to differ.   I went to my primary care physician and explained about the veins in my hands becoming extra large and black, like bruised.  She said that the eye dilation solution is a vascular dilator and it effects other parts of the body besides the eye.  The retina specialist showed me a diagram of the eye and how all the little blood vessels feed through and about the retina.  If those vessels become enlarged what is stopping them from expanding between the vitreous sack and the retina and then causing a separation of the vitreous (floaters)?  
PS - The sad part of this story is that I didn't ask for dilation.  I didn't know the optometrist was going to dilate my eyes.   I simply went in to get my eye glass prescription updated by Washington state law.
Add me to the list! I developed a floater in my right eye 1 week after a eye exam that included dilation. I have never had floaters before and know it was the exam that caused it. I never want to have another eye exam. My occupation is very visual and the floater is making me a little crazy since vision is so important for my career.  
=
I also developer eye floaters a few days after my eye exam. My ophthalmologist told me to call back if I start looking floaters. I don't know if I should go back because I'm scared that when they check my eyes again my floaters would get worse or increase. :( I don't know what to do. How are your eyes?
=
My floaters are worse after going into an ophthalmologist and getting the standard testing done and the dilatation drops.  
"Eye Strain" also causes floaters.  Having said that, shining bright lights in your eyes, and those other tests you get done in the ophthalmologist's office logically would cause strain on the eyes, thus causing floaters. Since the eyes are dilated, it is letting all that light in your eye. That can't be good for the eyes.  Your pupils are made to constrict with light not stay dilated.  Common sense would tell you this is putting a great amount of strain on the eyes.  There is a machine you look into that flashes bright lights and it hurts along with other machines. I wish I knew the names of them all.  This has to be connected and its not just because of "age".   More research needs to be done with these tests and dilation drops causing floaters to prove they cause them.
=
http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/benign-eye-floaters?page=2

Another trusted Source: www.geteyesmart.org

http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/ask/questions/floaters-after-dilated-eye-exam.cfm

From United Kingdom same opinion. Dilation does not cause floaters. Any relationship is co-incidental and dilation is often done when floaters first start to appear:

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/ask-the-optician/can-floaters-be-caused-by-dilating-the-pupil-and-pressure-test/
I never seen or even heard of floaters until my recent eye examination. After my first eye test which includes eye dilation and intense light examination, I felt some difference in my vision but didn't know this is due to floaters. After my second and third examination i started realizing that floaters are gradually getting more and more. After I have gone for fourth eye examination I got floaters in both eyes and it is getting darker and darker... its been a month since my last eye examination now I can notice my eye floaters anytime and at any lighting conditions.. it is really annoying and diverting my focus. I am 35yrs old and started worrying about my future now...
I never seen or even heard of floaters until my eye examination. After my eye test which includes eye dilation and intense light examination, I felt some difference in my vision but didn't know this is due to floaters. After my second and third examination i started realizing that floaters are gradually getting more and more. After i gone for fourth eye examination I got floaters in both eyes and it is getting darker and darker... it been a month since my last eye examination now I can notice my eye floaters anytime and at any lighting conditions.. it is really annoying and diverting my focus. I am 35yrs old and started worrying about my future now...
At your age (35)  about one out of three people have floaters; by age 50 one in two  by 70 three out of 4.

Dilation eye drops and eye exams do not cause floaters. Their relationship is incidental.

JCH MD
I see the doctors stating eye exams and dilation drops do not cause floaters.  I would like to see the actual study done confirming this. Also, testing differences between light eye people and brown eyed people.  

If no study has been done, than how can you 100% say floaters are not also caused by eye exams/dilation drops?

Please understand from our point of view.  I am under 35 and and never had floaters until after my first eye exam 2 years ago.  Going to a recent eye exam 2 years later, being tested through all the machines and dilation drops, I had new specs and floaters develop within a week in my other eye.  How can I call this a coincidence? its happened twice now, and the second time pretty much confirmed it there has to be some sort of link.
"Dilation eye drops and eye exams do not cause floaters. Their relationship is incidental."
Show me the actual study done confirming this.  
If you wish to learn more about floaters and their cause read this:

http://www.medicinenet.com/eye_floaters/article.htm

You can compare dilating the pupils to opening and closing the window. Drops make pupil wider (open window) then they wear off and the pupil gets smaller (close window).  If it starts to rain 2 hours after you open and shut the window and the next day it snows no one would think that it rained and snowed because you opened and closed the window.  

Your logic is the same.  Things are changing in the eye and often dilation is done because things are changing in the eye (posterior vitreous detachment and floaters) what happens later is not due to the drops.

If you still "don't get it"  I'm sorry you fail to understand "co-incidence and subsequent but non-related events"

JCH MD
I had my eye eyes dialated 2 weeks ago.i have never noticed floaters before. Immediately when my dialation wore off, i started noticing like web like floater in my right eye and small spots floaters in my left eye.i can see them indors also. I am not able to ignore them at all. I worried about them

JCH MD
I am so grateful to find this thread with so much useful information and stories, that give me more hope.

I would like to share my story with you. I am a male living in Germany (Heidelberg area) and used to do sports everyday. During a training, I was hit by a badminton ball in my right eye. I had an very bad hypherma and there is also blood in my vitreous. I lost vision on the injured eyes for about one week and the pressure went above 40 as well. My doctor decided to perform anterior chamber irrigation operation, after which the pressure still remained high, After using a maximum dose of eye pressure drops and medication (Diamox), the pressure remained to normal for about 2 weeks. About one week after the accident (around the time, when the operation was performed), my pupil started to enlarge and remained dilated since then. Because of the dilated pupil, my vision is not good as well. On good days, I can reach 60%, on bad days only 40%. About 1 month after the injury, my pressure went high again and I have to control them with the help of eye drops again. I think my main problem is the dilated pupil, since I can reach 80% vision, if I look though a small hole of a black disk.  

Now I am 2 months after the accident, my current situation is
-- still dependent on eye drops to keep the pressure low
-- pupil dilated (about 6 - 7 mm) and there is no reaction to light. glare and photophobia are cauing a lot of trouble. No visible change of pupil size.
-- Vision blurry and close-up reading is impossible

After a very difficult phase, in which I mentally suffered extremely under the injury, I now start to accept the situation. Nevertheless, I will not give the hope.

If there will be no improvements in the next months, I will definitely try Traditional Chinese Medicine with herbs and acupuncture. I am also thinking about getting a tinted contact lens.

I will keeping posting my progress. Please share your success stories with me.

Just for the information of anyone reading the above post. The dilated pupil is due to the trauma and the traumatic glaucoma. High pressure can permanently damage muscle that makes the pupil smaller. It is much more 'delicate' than the muscle that makes the pupil bigger.

At some time you can talk to your surgeons about contact lens that have a iris and small pupil fit for cases like yours. Also in Germany there is a device that can be inserted inside the eye to make a smaller artificial pupil. They are made by Morcher    http://www.morcher.com/nc/produkte/aniridia-implants.html

JCH MD
I am 21 years old and I developed noticeable floaters for the first time after an eye exam pertaining to an unrelated issue. My eyes were dilated, numbed, and examined with bright lights that left an after-image long after the exam was finished. Several days later, large floaters in the form of dots appeared. They were annoying, but I could live with them.

I went back for a follow up visit several weeks later and the same procedures were done, minus the numbing of my eyes. The next day, my floaters became MUCH worse. In addition to the initial spots, I can now see cobwebs, lines, and smaller spots 24/7, unless I am in low light conditions. I am seeing a retina specialist tomorrow, but barring a pending retinal detachment, I imagine that these symptoms are a result of my eyes being disturbed by either the bright lights, the dilation, or a combination of everything. Hopefully they will decrease over time...my quality of life has suffered.
TO: owenjones

JCH MD
I have had 2 posterior vitreous detachments...one each eye over last  18 months. My right eye has a huge annoying Weiss ring, but left eye remained pretty clear. Went for a check up yesterday and had a dilated exam. Now several new blobby floaters in what I consider my " good left eye". I definitely believe the dilation and bright lights to be the cause. I am very cognizant of new floaters as i check my vision daily. These were NOT there before dilated exam:(.

I know your post is older, but same thing just happened to me. I had a PVD in left eye and noticed a new floater in periphery of vision. So, went back in to rule out retinal tear. Had dilated exam with slit lamp and something else to view retina...very bright light. No tear thankfully. Next day when dilating drops wore off I had many more floaters central vision. Almost looked like blobs you see after getting flash pic taken. Afterimages seared in? Floaters? I don't know. But, these weren't there 2 days ago before exam.
Dr. hagen, I can assure you I get it. I have suffered with floaters for 18 months and I am 100% positive new ones developed after my dilated eye exam 2 days ago. Hoping I can adjust to them as I have to the Weiss ring,But, I am very hesitant to have eyes dilated again for fear more will appear. I have read 100's of articles on floaters and have a degree in biochem. I am merely relating what happened to me.
If you have a PhD you understand the scientific method and that the fact that one event occurred after another event doesn't mean the first event caused the second. If it did everything in the world could be blamed on the sun coming up.  You can do a PubMed search and all peer-reviewed literature. You will not find any paper saying the light from an eye exam causes floaters. People have their eyes dilated because they are having floaters and in the process often of a posterior vitreous detachment. That is a process, not an event, and its to be expected that in some people additional floaters will develop after the eyes are dilated and the lights used.    JCH MD
I'm 29 years old and noticed when I was reading my vision got blurry so I went to get an eye exam thinking I just need reading glasses they did that air puff test, light tests, and peripheral test but they didn't give my eyes drops like everyones commenting in the previous posts but sure enough after I left there the next day and every day since I have these floaters in my eyes it drives me crazy I'm a tattoo artist and totally ruined this last week for me I'm hoping it goes away but from what I'm reading on here it does not go away and these doctors just have a lame excuse to get them off the hook for ruining all of our eyes what should I do now???
=
?
Air puffs and light have ruined your vision?  
What a strange paranoid world you live in.
In the past few months in both eyes I have had numerous dilutions, retinal illuminations, laser treatments, IOP tests, and peripheral vision exams and have zero floaters.
In the past few months I have had several eye dilutions, retinal illuminations, IOP tests, peripheral vision tests, and laser treatments in both eyes and have zero floaters.
It's one think to come hear to learn, read this string and some of the thoughtful explanations therein and realize that dilation does not cause floaters that dilation is done for conditions where floaters are appearing and in eye likely to have floaters.

To leave feeling all the worlds ophthalmologists and all the worlds optometrists are dailing using drops absolutely indispensible to good eye care that damage the eye and its just some big conspiracy or greed thing.

Well as KNC said above is living in a weird, paranoid world devoid or reason or willing to understand.

and another one...dilated eye exam 8 days ago....first time huge blinding floaters in central vision on 8th day.....the other guy in the office said the same right after eye exam....if not dilation, pressure applied to eye, freezing drops......I too am now suspicious about a link we are missing.....
=
my 11 year old just had his eyes dilated yesterday and today is getting black area in his peripheral vision and blurry spots.  NEVER had any of this prior to yesterdays test!!!
=
You are a doctor but that doesn't mean you know for sure how one person will be effected by a medication or that any given medication is safe for a fact. If you are truly a doctor than you should know and understand that every human is different and that even the most simple and safe medications can have adverse side effects. You are a doctor not GOD.
You are spot on…I have been following this post and that doctor thinks he knows everything . Honestly, my experience with many doctors has been that they are the LAST to catch on. I believe the reason for this is a lack of personal research ...Their sources of info are heavily influenced by BIG MONEY
I hope you never have an adverse reaction to  a medication, because that is what many people have suffered from on this forum. Yes dilation can cause problems , they can even spark certain eye conditions such as glaucoma.
=
Hello people, hello Dr Hagan
I read about 50% the posts here and i know this "it can't be a coincidence"-talk, but i still wanna state what I experienced:
The first floater in my left eye i noticed after I slept under the sun. I woke up since the sun was hiting my eyes pretty direct and it hurt. The next floater appeared when i looked into a magnesium burning, wich I tried to do "indirect" but didn't work out well. All concidences so far? Okai let's go to my newest floater which i only have for 4 days now. I went to an examination at the doctor without the drops to widen my pupil. Anyway, the doctor still looked into my eyes with a bright hurting light. I couldn't see for about 15s before my vision came back. And right that evening my newest floater was there, in my right eye, which never had any floater so far. You can call this a coincidence, but with your denial, Dr Hagan, you only cause me to never visit an eye doctor again, for fear of more eye floaters. My eye floaters are black and i am almost getting dizzy from them. I can also say the one i had for 15 years never got bigger, darker, lighter. So i am pretty sure my new floaters won't get "better" which just increases my fear to a huge extent. Yes i don't think it's the drops, but the bright light pretty sure, as i read a whole bunch of experiences from people either looking into the sun, bright light or gotten an examination with bright light which had a direct following of floaters appearing. So instead of telling us to just accept so many coincidences, tell us something to ease our fear of eye doctors or floaters. P.S.: If the light hurts your eyes, shouldn't that be a warning that something gets damaged?
I am with you. But actually i am thinking of getting someone to start such a study. Although i am only a small laboratory technician, if I can just get one of my acquaintance to start it, we might get smarter in the next few years and help people to understand and maybe prevent further floaters.
=
Excuse me, but what is the equality sign for? Reminder to answer later?
I would like to add some more explanation why the floater bothers me so much:
The one big floater i have since 15 years is still as dark and visible as ever. Whenever it appears I feel like a fly just passed by and my eyes instinctively follow it. While focusing on a text, work or quite anything I get distracted and have a hard time to concentrate without getting distracted again whenever it "flies" by. Now that my other eye got his own black floater this happens double the time, and i get more distracted, can concentrate less and even get dizzy at times depending on how they fly by and my eyes follow them. Today I got quite the headache from fighting to concentrate and dizziness. So what should i do? If my brain couldn´t adjust to the floater from 15 years back, it won`t be able to adjust to the new one either I presume? I can´t risk a surgery either, since i got Nystagmus and if i would lose sight on one eye my eyes wouldn´t be able to focus anymore, or so I´ve been told.
The = means I've read the last posting and do not feel any comment from me is necessary. Some people believe the world is flat, some people believe the landings on the moon were fake (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_landing_conspiracy_theories)  I have within these discussions explained repeatedly how the relationship of floaters and use of dilation drops and the development subsequently of floaters is co-incidental not causative. Umbrellas don't cause rain but the more people you see carrying umbrellas the more likely it is to rain in the near future. This post has become a magnet for people that will not believe otherwise so I see no reason for further posts.  As for the bright lights, yes they are uncomfortable, its dark inside the eye and retinal holes and tears and detachments can be very difficult for the eye doctor to see. As for getting use to floaters by age 50 half the people have floaters by age 70 its 3 out of 4 so its not like it is ultra rare. As for huge floaters I've had a massive Weiss Ring floater in my RE for 6-7 years. I never thought that I would learn to ignore it through neuro-adaptation but like most people it happened over time.
Thanks for the explanations. As i said before, i agree that the drops don´t need to be the issue here. But people who never had floaters to get floaters after being at the examination is a fact. The way you say it sounds as if the floater was always there, and it just became visible to me after the examination, which is still pretty weird, don´t you think? I am not even 30 years old, so the age isn´t the issue either. And that I only got floaters after the stated incidents is also just a coincidence? How many coincidence need there to be, until you think there might be a chance that some or maybe even only a handful really got the floaters from the bright light, or the air pressure test or whatever? I have seen too many doctors who saw me as guinea pig and damaged my body/psyche more than they helped (dentist is a bad example right?), so yes i might be paranoid. But then again the floater is there, it disturbs me as i write this minute, and it wasn´t there before i went to the examination. Maybe the doctor did something wrong or not as it was supposed to be, or my eyes are just too delicate to be handled the way every ones elses eyes are. For someone who needs new glasses every 1-3 years it`s not funny to get issues from "simple" tests and be put down as coincidences instead of having real answers on why it happend and how to prevent it in the future. But yes, I understand you are fed up with people complaining about an issue that in your eyes is already "solved". But maybe you answer me these two questions to satisfy my stubbornness:
1. Can bright light that hurts damage your eyes permanently?
2. I heard "accidents" and "hits" to the eye can cause floaters, can multiple air pressure hits cause this too?
Thanks and keep up the hard work. We might not be on the same wave here, but i appreciate your effort in helping people.
1. In the 20-30 year old age group about 20-25% of people have floaters.
2. No the bright light is uncomfortable but does not do any permanent damage to the eye.
3. I don't know what "air pressure hits" you're talking about but if you mean the "Puff Tonometer" no multiple measurements will not damage the eye.
4. Yes a hard blows, and major accidents  to the eye, a fall, automobile accident, etc can cause floaters. A compressed air tank exploding could damage the eye, the puff tonometer will not. It's like comparing damage to a house from blowing out a birthday cake in it to being hit by a tornado.
Thanks for the answers.
My first floater appeared when i was around 12-13 years old. I remeber that day pretty well, as I never had any floaters, but after I accidently stared into the sun it was suddenly there. My parents and the eye doctor said they will vanish after some time, probably to not make me worry.

And yes i meant that Puff Tonometer.
I tried to analyze anything that happened that day to see what else could have caused the new floater I didn't have the day before the examination and appeared the night after the examination. Maybe I had to strain my eyes too much to see (or not see) the little small letters which is already pretty hard with 1 eye and my nystagmus.
Anyway, I will go to my next examination in 2 weeks and hopefully no more floaters will appear after it.

Thanks for your time. If I find any more connections to what happens to me and has new floaters made appear, I might inform over this forum again.
I got my first floater when i was about 8 or 9. I looked up at the sky and clouds and saw this "thing" moving around in the sky. I thought I was seeing an angel.  After that I got more floaters in both eyes.   Using the same logic as the drops I might say going outside and looking at the sky causes floaters because that was what I was doing when my floaters started.  Anyway best of luck to you.