Floaters after eye dilation
The day after getting an eye dilation exam, I noticed a large cobweb floater in one of my eyes.  I didn't connect the two at first until I realized it happened consistently.  I now have large cobweb floaters in both of my eyes that keep getting bigger with each exam ... it's been about 8 years since my first dilation exam and they are not getting any better.  Has anyone heard of this before?  My eye doctors recommend that I keep getting the exams but I'm worried.
If you wish to learn more about floaters and their cause read this:

http://www.medicinenet.com/eye_floaters/article.htm

You can compare dilating the pupils to opening and closing the window. Drops make pupil wider (open window) then they wear off and the pupil gets smaller (close window).  If it starts to rain 2 hours after you open and shut the window and the next day it snows no one would think that it rained and snowed because you opened and closed the window.  

Your logic is the same.  Things are changing in the eye and often dilation is done because things are changing in the eye (posterior vitreous detachment and floaters) what happens later is not due to the drops.

If you still "don't get it"  I'm sorry you fail to understand "co-incidence and subsequent but non-related events"

JCH MD
I am so grateful to find this thread with so much useful information and stories, that give me more hope.

I would like to share my story with you. I am a male living in Germany (Heidelberg area) and used to do sports everyday. During a training, I was hit by a badminton ball in my right eye. I had an very bad hypherma and there is also blood in my vitreous. I lost vision on the injured eyes for about one week and the pressure went above 40 as well. My doctor decided to perform anterior chamber irrigation operation, after which the pressure still remained high, After using a maximum dose of eye pressure drops and medication (Diamox), the pressure remained to normal for about 2 weeks. About one week after the accident (around the time, when the operation was performed), my pupil started to enlarge and remained dilated since then. Because of the dilated pupil, my vision is not good as well. On good days, I can reach 60%, on bad days only 40%. About 1 month after the injury, my pressure went high again and I have to control them with the help of eye drops again. I think my main problem is the dilated pupil, since I can reach 80% vision, if I look though a small hole of a black disk.  

Now I am 2 months after the accident, my current situation is
-- still dependent on eye drops to keep the pressure low
-- pupil dilated (about 6 - 7 mm) and there is no reaction to light. glare and photophobia are cauing a lot of trouble. No visible change of pupil size.
-- Vision blurry and close-up reading is impossible

After a very difficult phase, in which I mentally suffered extremely under the injury, I now start to accept the situation. Nevertheless, I will not give the hope.

If there will be no improvements in the next months, I will definitely try Traditional Chinese Medicine with herbs and acupuncture. I am also thinking about getting a tinted contact lens.

I will keeping posting my progress. Please share your success stories with me.

Just for the information of anyone reading the above post. The dilated pupil is due to the trauma and the traumatic glaucoma. High pressure can permanently damage muscle that makes the pupil smaller. It is much more 'delicate' than the muscle that makes the pupil bigger.

At some time you can talk to your surgeons about contact lens that have a iris and small pupil fit for cases like yours. Also in Germany there is a device that can be inserted inside the eye to make a smaller artificial pupil. They are made by Morcher    http://www.morcher.com/nc/produkte/aniridia-implants.html

JCH MD
I am 21 years old and I developed noticeable floaters for the first time after an eye exam pertaining to an unrelated issue. My eyes were dilated, numbed, and examined with bright lights that left an after-image long after the exam was finished. Several days later, large floaters in the form of dots appeared. They were annoying, but I could live with them.

I went back for a follow up visit several weeks later and the same procedures were done, minus the numbing of my eyes. The next day, my floaters became MUCH worse. In addition to the initial spots, I can now see cobwebs, lines, and smaller spots 24/7, unless I am in low light conditions. I am seeing a retina specialist tomorrow, but barring a pending retinal detachment, I imagine that these symptoms are a result of my eyes being disturbed by either the bright lights, the dilation, or a combination of everything. Hopefully they will decrease over time...my quality of life has suffered.
TO: owenjones

JCH MD
I have had 2 posterior vitreous detachments...one each eye over last  18 months. My right eye has a huge annoying Weiss ring, but left eye remained pretty clear. Went for a check up yesterday and had a dilated exam. Now several new blobby floaters in what I consider my " good left eye". I definitely believe the dilation and bright lights to be the cause. I am very cognizant of new floaters as i check my vision daily. These were NOT there before dilated exam:(.

I know your post is older, but same thing just happened to me. I had a PVD in left eye and noticed a new floater in periphery of vision. So, went back in to rule out retinal tear. Had dilated exam with slit lamp and something else to view retina...very bright light. No tear thankfully. Next day when dilating drops wore off I had many more floaters central vision. Almost looked like blobs you see after getting flash pic taken. Afterimages seared in? Floaters? I don't know. But, these weren't there 2 days ago before exam.
Dr. hagen, I can assure you I get it. I have suffered with floaters for 18 months and I am 100% positive new ones developed after my dilated eye exam 2 days ago. Hoping I can adjust to them as I have to the Weiss ring,But, I am very hesitant to have eyes dilated again for fear more will appear. I have read 100's of articles on floaters and have a degree in biochem. I am merely relating what happened to me.
If you have a PhD you understand the scientific method and that the fact that one event occurred after another event doesn't mean the first event caused the second. If it did everything in the world could be blamed on the sun coming up.  You can do a PubMed search and all peer-reviewed literature. You will not find any paper saying the light from an eye exam causes floaters. People have their eyes dilated because they are having floaters and in the process often of a posterior vitreous detachment. That is a process, not an event, and its to be expected that in some people additional floaters will develop after the eyes are dilated and the lights used.    JCH MD
If you still "don't get it"  I'm sorry you fail to understand " that we are having this problem and there is an explanation as to why this is happening to us.....that our eyes are predisposed to having a problem with eye exams that no one understands yet.  It is not a function of the eye exam itself, but of something wrong with our eyes that causes the problem.  We are just trying to find out what that is??  
If you still dont get it ;  I am sorry you fail to understand  that we are having this problem and there is an explanation as to why this is happening to us.....that our eyes are predisposed to having a problem with eye exams that no one understands yet.  It is not a function of the eye exam itself, but of something wrong with our eyes that causes the problem.  We are just trying to find out what that is??  
=
I'm 29 years old and noticed when I was reading my vision got blurry so I went to get an eye exam thinking I just need reading glasses they did that air puff test, light tests, and peripheral test but they didn't give my eyes drops like everyones commenting in the previous posts but sure enough after I left there the next day and every day since I have these floaters in my eyes it drives me crazy I'm a tattoo artist and totally ruined this last week for me I'm hoping it goes away but from what I'm reading on here it does not go away and these doctors just have a lame excuse to get them off the hook for ruining all of our eyes what should I do now???
How are things now ?
In the past few months in both eyes I have had numerous dilutions, retinal illuminations, laser treatments, IOP tests, and peripheral vision exams and have zero floaters.
In the past few months I have had several eye dilutions, retinal illuminations, IOP tests, peripheral vision tests, and laser treatments in both eyes and have zero floaters.
It's one think to come hear to learn, read this string and some of the thoughtful explanations therein and realize that dilation does not cause floaters that dilation is done for conditions where floaters are appearing and in eye likely to have floaters.

To leave feeling all the worlds ophthalmologists and all the worlds optometrists are dailing using drops absolutely indispensible to good eye care that damage the eye and its just some big conspiracy or greed thing.

Well as KNC said above is living in a weird, paranoid world devoid or reason or willing to understand.

and another one...dilated eye exam 8 days ago....first time huge blinding floaters in central vision on 8th day.....the other guy in the office said the same right after eye exam....if not dilation, pressure applied to eye, freezing drops......I too am now suspicious about a link we are missing.....
my 11 year old just had his eyes dilated yesterday and today is getting black area in his peripheral vision and blurry spots.  NEVER had any of this prior to yesterdays test!!!
You are a doctor but that doesn't mean you know for sure how one person will be effected by a medication or that any given medication is safe for a fact. If you are truly a doctor than you should know and understand that every human is different and that even the most simple and safe medications can have adverse side effects. You are a doctor not GOD.
You are spot on…I have been following this post and that doctor thinks he knows everything . Honestly, my experience with many doctors has been that they are the LAST to catch on. I believe the reason for this is a lack of personal research ...Their sources of info are heavily influenced by BIG MONEY
I hope you never have an adverse reaction to  a medication, because that is what many people have suffered from on this forum. Yes dilation can cause problems , they can even spark certain eye conditions such as glaucoma.
Hello people, hello Dr Hagan
I read about 50% the posts here and i know this "it can't be a coincidence"-talk, but i still wanna state what I experienced:
The first floater in my left eye i noticed after I slept under the sun. I woke up since the sun was hiting my eyes pretty direct and it hurt. The next floater appeared when i looked into a magnesium burning, wich I tried to do "indirect" but didn't work out well. All concidences so far? Okai let's go to my newest floater which i only have for 4 days now. I went to an examination at the doctor without the drops to widen my pupil. Anyway, the doctor still looked into my eyes with a bright hurting light. I couldn't see for about 15s before my vision came back. And right that evening my newest floater was there, in my right eye, which never had any floater so far. You can call this a coincidence, but with your denial, Dr Hagan, you only cause me to never visit an eye doctor again, for fear of more eye floaters. My eye floaters are black and i am almost getting dizzy from them. I can also say the one i had for 15 years never got bigger, darker, lighter. So i am pretty sure my new floaters won't get "better" which just increases my fear to a huge extent. Yes i don't think it's the drops, but the bright light pretty sure, as i read a whole bunch of experiences from people either looking into the sun, bright light or gotten an examination with bright light which had a direct following of floaters appearing. So instead of telling us to just accept so many coincidences, tell us something to ease our fear of eye doctors or floaters. P.S.: If the light hurts your eyes, shouldn't that be a warning that something gets damaged?
The = means I've read the last posting and do not feel any comment from me is necessary. Some people believe the world is flat, some people believe the landings on the moon were fake (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_landing_conspiracy_theories)  I have within these discussions explained repeatedly how the relationship of floaters and use of dilation drops and the development subsequently of floaters is co-incidental not causative. Umbrellas don't cause rain but the more people you see carrying umbrellas the more likely it is to rain in the near future. This post has become a magnet for people that will not believe otherwise so I see no reason for further posts.  As for the bright lights, yes they are uncomfortable, its dark inside the eye and retinal holes and tears and detachments can be very difficult for the eye doctor to see. As for getting use to floaters by age 50 half the people have floaters by age 70 its 3 out of 4 so its not like it is ultra rare. As for huge floaters I've had a massive Weiss Ring floater in my RE for 6-7 years. I never thought that I would learn to ignore it through neuro-adaptation but like most people it happened over time.
Thanks for the explanations. As i said before, i agree that the drops don´t need to be the issue here. But people who never had floaters to get floaters after being at the examination is a fact. The way you say it sounds as if the floater was always there, and it just became visible to me after the examination, which is still pretty weird, don´t you think? I am not even 30 years old, so the age isn´t the issue either. And that I only got floaters after the stated incidents is also just a coincidence? How many coincidence need there to be, until you think there might be a chance that some or maybe even only a handful really got the floaters from the bright light, or the air pressure test or whatever? I have seen too many doctors who saw me as guinea pig and damaged my body/psyche more than they helped (dentist is a bad example right?), so yes i might be paranoid. But then again the floater is there, it disturbs me as i write this minute, and it wasn´t there before i went to the examination. Maybe the doctor did something wrong or not as it was supposed to be, or my eyes are just too delicate to be handled the way every ones elses eyes are. For someone who needs new glasses every 1-3 years it`s not funny to get issues from "simple" tests and be put down as coincidences instead of having real answers on why it happend and how to prevent it in the future. But yes, I understand you are fed up with people complaining about an issue that in your eyes is already "solved". But maybe you answer me these two questions to satisfy my stubbornness:
1. Can bright light that hurts damage your eyes permanently?
2. I heard "accidents" and "hits" to the eye can cause floaters, can multiple air pressure hits cause this too?
Thanks and keep up the hard work. We might not be on the same wave here, but i appreciate your effort in helping people.
1. In the 20-30 year old age group about 20-25% of people have floaters.
2. No the bright light is uncomfortable but does not do any permanent damage to the eye.
3. I don't know what "air pressure hits" you're talking about but if you mean the "Puff Tonometer" no multiple measurements will not damage the eye.
4. Yes a hard blows, and major accidents  to the eye, a fall, automobile accident, etc can cause floaters. A compressed air tank exploding could damage the eye, the puff tonometer will not. It's like comparing damage to a house from blowing out a birthday cake in it to being hit by a tornado.
Thanks for the answers.
My first floater appeared when i was around 12-13 years old. I remeber that day pretty well, as I never had any floaters, but after I accidently stared into the sun it was suddenly there. My parents and the eye doctor said they will vanish after some time, probably to not make me worry.

And yes i meant that Puff Tonometer.
I tried to analyze anything that happened that day to see what else could have caused the new floater I didn't have the day before the examination and appeared the night after the examination. Maybe I had to strain my eyes too much to see (or not see) the little small letters which is already pretty hard with 1 eye and my nystagmus.
Anyway, I will go to my next examination in 2 weeks and hopefully no more floaters will appear after it.

Thanks for your time. If I find any more connections to what happens to me and has new floaters made appear, I might inform over this forum again.
I got my first floater when i was about 8 or 9. I looked up at the sky and clouds and saw this "thing" moving around in the sky. I thought I was seeing an angel.  After that I got more floaters in both eyes.   Using the same logic as the drops I might say going outside and looking at the sky causes floaters because that was what I was doing when my floaters started.  Anyway best of luck to you.
Good Day, once more. I do see a slight difference in "just looking at the sky and noticing floaters" and "looked in the sun, had pain in the eyes, couldn't see for few minutes and afterwards floaters appeared" and then the next floaters appear after the examination with the bright light that hurt alot too and made me not being able to see for 30s(no drops were used at that day, so yes, it wasn't the drops). Nevertheless was I at another examination, and again she looked into my eyes, but this time it didn't hurt, and I could clearly see after she was done, with no pain, and no loss of vision. This time I also didn't get any more new floaters, so I am good for the next 2-3 years until I might need new glasses again. As another addition: I know of at least one more person who looked into the sun and had lots of floaters afterwards, who didn't have had any before. The story can be found via google: "My story: Staring at the Sun; Glad to see I am not alone." Although I know I can't stop bothering you with this, I am still interested in your thoughts towards this.
Just had both eyes dilated on Tuesday 2/9, again no floaters or other residual effects to report.
-
Did the eye floaters go away after a while after the eye dilation or it stayed there as it is.
I had my eye dilated, I;m seeing eye floaters, I wish it will goes off.
Did yours go away or still there ?
=
Doctor, I agree Eye floaters are not caused by dilation, reason I had same experience, I started noticing eye floaters after few days I had eye dilation and I went to the eye doctor and he said it is not because of dilation and I had another dilation to verify any retinal detachment.

Now doctor showed me the photos of my eye right before the first eye dilation that is four days ago and showed me floaters in that photo, So I agree floaters were there.

Question, does the eye dilation cause the floaters spread around or that sort and come to the vision?
would it go down or goes off the vision after a while after the eye dilation ?
Why only few affected by the dilation with floaters, I take addreall, its a drug for attention, is it something with drug reaction?

Appreciate your responds.
No the dilation does not cause them to spread out but they spread out normally, often new ones appear whether you go to the eye doctor or not.  The medication you take did not cause the floaters. Many, but not all, floaters settle down to the bottom of the eye and are no longer visible or the brain ignores them (neuroadaptation)
=
For the benefit of the sufferers in this forum, I'd like to add my voice and share my experience with new floaters in the aftermath of a comprehensive eye exam.  I've NEVER had any problems with my eyes in all my 54 years on earth.  Sure, I know what floaters are; I've had them for as long as I can remember and they've always been so benign that I really had to look closely to see them.  In December, however, I went for a routine eye exam.  I wish I hadn't!  Immediately following the exam, I experienced a thick discharge, watering, burning, and yes, a brand new set of floaters.  One in my left eye is like a mosquito directly in my line of sight.  When I consulted my doctor about the new floaters, he wasn't so arrogant and cocksure as to say it isn't possible, he simply said "I know of no documentation to support it."  (I have to give him credit for this).  
Since then I've done extensive research on floaters and the eye and based on the information I obtained I would be reluctant to have believed it possible if it hadn't happened to me.  BUT IT DID!  Given my and others' testimonies, I feel it's beyond ludicrous to pass it off as simple coincidence.  I wonder if we'll have to wait for this to happen to a doctor before it's taken seriously.
In the mean time I'd like to keep this thread going in support of my fellow sufferers and share any information we collectively come up with.  After suffering for over four months, I'm seriously looking into laser disruption of floaters (at least for my left eye).
Good luck to everyone suffering from this phenomenon.  
Never had an eye exam b4 with eyes dilated, but after my 1st time being dilated I developed floaters in my eyes.  Dr blew it off as just being a coincidence.  I am afraid to ever have my eyes examined again.  It was too much of a coincidence!
=
No there is no need to restate any opinion other than what I've stated. If you don't "get it" the coincidental association between making the pupil wider to see a condition that is associated with an increasing number of floaters over days to weeks to months.  Increasing floaters are part of the reason eye is dilated. Today in the clinic I saw 5 patients that came in because over the last 1 to 6 weeks they had been having more floaters in their eyes. None had had their eyes examined.  They were attributing this to watching too much TV, using a computer, jogging, and a new energy supplement.  These things did not cause the floaters they were all having posterior vitreous detachments The relationship was "incidental"
I recently spoke with an ophthalmologist who verified that what happened to us is possible but rare.  I'll be meeting with him in a few weeks for a consultation and will report back then.
You are overdue for that report.
I'm sorry but this report is not intended for you.  You'll notice my original post opens with, "for the benefit of the sufferers in this forum."   You're obviously too closed minded and dismissive to take anyone of us seriously.  I've responded to interested people privately.  
=
I also witnessed my first floater after dilation. Incidental? Maybe. But with the number of people having had the same experience I don't 100% believe it's a coincidence. If the dilation itself did not cause it maybe some other source did while the pupils were dilated. Hope to hear more about the relationship if there is one as studies come by.
=
Might as well add my experience, I am highly allergic to dilation drops, unfortunately I am a diabetic and must get an eye exam every year... The last one a few weeks ago caused sever burring in both eyes and terrible redness and discolor in the other on the side of the eye in which the drops were administered.  
As far as floaters go, they are worse every time I go. No disrespect to Dry Hagan, he is entitled to his medical opinion however, I am speaking from experience.
The reason why floaters are worse after dilation is there is an increase in pressure in the eye when they drops are used. The pressure built up in the eye pulls on the gel like substance on the wall of the eye and it separates and causes more floaters.
I have been studding this for years and I am quite confident on this theory.  Sorry Doctor, if anything they should let the people that come in for the exam  know about the pressure build up caused by the drops, I was never told.  
And going back to the doctors office after my eye turned red and discolored  form the drops , they were still in denial  and said not the drops, and gave me more drops , this time a steroid.  Right, like I'm going to out that in my eye along with the other poison  they put in my eyes...no way.  

The eye getting red and irritated after an eye exam is not at all unusual. There are multiple causes. The drops dry the eye and it can cause irritation by drying severely. It numbs the cornea and a person can scratch their cornea by touching a tissue to it. Some people are sensitive to a certain type of drop or the preservative in them.   How we deal with these problems: have people use artificial tears every 30 minutes for 4 hours after an exam; close the eye before blotting; using an alternative drop if available to the one the patient finds irritating; using fewer drops than the usual dose; putting in steroid drops at the end of the exam. This has worked well in a huge practice.

Raising the IOP is not the cause. The IOP normally goes up and down in everyone. the average is about 6-8 points every 24 hours. Any change in IOP that is severe only occurs in patients that have a very usually shaped eye subject to angle closure glaucoma.  Most floaters are of most concern in myopia people; they do not get angle closure glaucoma because they have long big eyes with deep anterior chambers.

As to dilation causing floaters the matter has been discussed at length here. Some people still think the world is flat and black cats cause bad luck so I will not review that issue again.
I agree Doctor, the subject has been beat to death here, however, I have one last question if you don't mind.  Your response said "The IOP normally goes up and down in everyone. the average is about 6-8 points every 24 hours" is that without  the drops or with?  Does pressure in the eye change daily without drops?
I am near sighted so my floaters are bad to begin with , but seems when I get back from the exam there is an increase in floaters. I can tell as the "new" ones are dark in color, the older ones that have been there are more clear in color.  But that is neither here nor there, I do respect your opinion, you have a medical degree, I do not.  But  from what I under stand you saying is the pressure the drops cause in the eyes is not enough to cause floaters to break away as the pressure a eye goes through on a 24 period fluctuates on its own?" 6-8 points every 24 hours"

Also Doctor, I have determined my eye that turned red on one side after the drops/exam was most likely Episcleritis. Although the doctor that examined me the next day said it was irritated ...my question to you is , can the drops cause Episcleritis?

Doctor Hagan, just so you know, I do respect you are your profession , in fact if it was not for  men and women like yourself, we would have much worse  problems then floaters.

Thanks  for all you do Doctor Hagan.I really mean that.
One last question doctor, how much do the drop increase pressure on a normal person without the risk of  angle closure glaucoma? Is it   6-8 points as you said? Which is what a  normal number  eye would go though on its own as you said every 24 hours?

Thanks again.
So you understand your blood pressure goes up and down as does everyones. No one has the same eye pressure IOP all the time. Studies have shown normal eyes on no drops vary on the average 6-8 points usually not going below 10 and not above 20.  An eye that has glaucoma may have an IOP less than 20 during some of the day and an eye that does not have glaucoma may have IOP over 20 some time during the day. On the averge a normal eye may have about a 2 to 4 point elevation for several hours after dilation. There is a new device called the Triggerfish that is a contact lens with a pressure microchip that can measure IOP over a 24 hour period http://www.sensimed.ch/en/sensimed-triggerfish/sensimed-triggerfish.html   I would say again that IOP does not cause floaters. Glaucoma patients with very high IOP e.g. 30 do not have more floaters than other's their age. Also dilation often irriates the eye but would not cause primary episcleritis.
Doctor ,  when the side of my eye became red and burned..no server pain.  after  the exam/drops could have I gotten Uveitis which may have caused the floaters?  I see that Uveitis  is  caused by inflammatory responses inside the eye.Inflammation and  is the body’s natural response to tissue damage, or toxins. It produces swelling, redness, heat, and destroys tissues as certain white blood cells rush to the affected part of the body to contain or eliminate the insult. Perhaps the drops, either the numbing drops or  dilation drops caused the eye to get Uveitis which led to  increased floaters. Could this be possible?  I must add the redness cleared in in 3 or 4 days...and there was no pain expect a slight burn sensation.
BY the way doctor, it was not the whole eye, just one side became red and inflamed, the other side remained white and clear. This is the eye I have increased floaters and I understand Uveitis could be a contributor to floaters. In your practice have you ever had someone that got Uveitis from the drops?  thanks you.
The reason I ask this question Doctor Hagan is I  read that one of the reasons for Uveitis is toxins that may penetrate the eye and the inflammatory responses inside the eye to the toxin. Am I off base here?  Or is this a plausible  from the drops, the dye drops, dilation or numbing ? The doctor that examined my eye the next day mentioned it looked bruised but looked for of an irritation and the reason he gave me the steroid drops...if it was just irritation from the drops that in no way could cause more floaters but I am concerned about the possablity of Uveitis.
Thank you for your response on the IOP doctor Hagan. I did not realize the drops only increase pressure by 2 to 4 point elevation for several hours after dilation, which in theory would not be enough to cause floaters to break away. More so since an eye without drops fluctuates that much or more so without drops.  Dr Hagan, I do understand this is a sore subject, but keep in mind those that are suffering, they are grasping at straws trying to understand and I must say, the answers you have given are, I’m sure putting many at ease and helping them understand.
We need more doctors like you Dr Hagan, you are understanding despite being frustrated by patients like myself that lack understanding.  Your explanations are quite clear, for some perhaps hard to accept however,
With looking at it without anxiety on the subject, I feel you are spot on with your assessments and this is coming from a major near sighted person with extreme floaters.  I am a bit concerned about my eye turned read after the drops and believe I may be allergic since I have halos and star burst a few weeks after the drops plus this time as I told he side of my eye burned and turned red.,..Since I am a diabetic and I need an annual eye exam every year what are my options? Would an optomap scan suffice? Do I tell them at the office to use less drops? Do I have them irrigate the eye after the drops? Not sure what my options are going forward.  I am concerned about have an adverse reaction to the drops as I have had in the past. Is it common to have a part of your eye become red and burn for a few days after dilation as I did?  Is there a possibility of Uveitis ?
Also how much pressure is applied during the  tonometer test to measure the inner pressure of the eye? It says it is slight but has to be enough to indent the eye...which we all know can cause floaters such as any blow to the eye, and the reason why boxers are known to have floaters.
The pressure applied to eye is equal to the pressure in the eye usually 10-20 mm of Mercury. Far less than rubbing the eye or getting hit in the eye with a fist.

I have posted this many times. It is not unusual for the eye to be red, irritated, blurred after an eye exam for several hours or days.  Reasons 1. the person may scratch the cornea while whiping it.  Cure: Close your lids, blot the eye in and out. 2. It can aggravate dry eyes.  Cure: Use artificial tears every 30 minutes for 4 hours after the exam and then 4 times/day for 3 or 4 days  3. Some people are sensitive to the medication or preservatives  Cure: discuss your problem with the Eye MD  There are other drops that can be tried. Less drops can be used or the doctor can put a couple of drops of steroids in at the end of the exam. This has worked well in our practice. We one only 2 patients that have such a bad reaction that we have her use steroid drops at home for 2 days after her eye exams plus artificial tears plus warm compressed to the eye
Doctor Hagan, this is a link to my eye a day after dialation with numbing drops and dye ...

doesnt look more like a chem spill? The redness was gone after 3 days and had slight burning, which I stlll feel in the eye in that corner. Doctor it this a nornal adverse reaction to the drops you may have seen before in your practice? Could this inflamation have caused the floaters to increase? Does it look like  episcleritis or  Uveitis ? The doctor that looked at it didnt say much, said it looked brusied and perhaps irritated...not sure why he would say brusied but irritated from the drops perhaps....If this irrataion is on the surfice of the eye only I dont see how that could be a factor in the new floaters, but perhaps it could be from the inflamation.

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14716337_1079576575425190_4849252033213418254_n.jpg?oh=0283dfc0e2113ea4adc76ea3187ac3f8&oe=588B0E55

Here is a better link to picture doctor.

http://postimg.org/image/npx3pnkxv/
I was a bit hesitant to use the steroid drops as there is a link to cataracts on the use of steroid drops.
Steroid drops MIGHT only cause cataracts after many months or years of use not for several days or weeks. The pictures are both somewhat out of focus. You appear to have sun damage between the iris/cornea and the inner corner of your eye (medical canthus).  That is called a pinguecula or if the damage extends on the cornea a pterygium.  That part of the eye can become inflammed either spontaneously, after sun exposure or possibly after a routine eye exam.  None of this relates to floaters. That's about all I can tell from the photo
The day I stop feeling guilty for driving after my complete neuro-ophthalmologic exam when I could barely see, despite frequent pull-over to wait until there was no traffic, (how many center line crossing crashes are caused by people whose vision is impaired following a dilation?), as the medications used continued to increase pupil dilations for hours, is the day when I will seek an attorney, or, at minimum, file a complaint with the Board of Licensure - although doing either is pointless.  My vision I had before the exam will not be restored.  

The practice knew I had a 40 minute drive.  They knew that I would be alone.  They did not give me sunglasses until I asked for them after standing in their parking lot for an hour.  For two months now, beginning the day of the exam, has continued to deteriorate.

Starting the day of the exam, I had significant tearing, which I never had.  My eyes felt scratched, as if the eyes were bulging; there was actual pain in the eyes, which has lessened.  Existing photosensitive has become unbearable.  There is constant pressure.  What I at first attributed to tension, seeing a running black image, is not tension, but another effect of some aspect of the exam.  

I was visually disabled for the entire first week, and have the remaining effects.  A revisit to the MD one week later yielded, "There is nothing I can do." She actually pulled up my eyelid to see if there was foreign material in it.  (As if I wouldn't be able to state if I had gotten something in my eye?)  And, there was no attempt made at an explanation.  I cannot focus properly.  I have mild cataracts, but visual acuity was not unduly hampered.  Even with the internet, I have had to increase size from 125% to 150% in order to read, although I couldn't see the screen for the first week following the exam.

I filed adverse reaction events regarding the tropicamide with the FDA, and with the manufacturer, should that be suspect.  The anesthetic drops are also suspect.  I wrote to the state ophthalmology association, pleading with them to investigate policies, procedures, etc., overall for all practices.

Like others, I have spent much time doing research to look for causes. I have read policies and procedures, technician requirements (there are none here),  Going to another ophthalmologist who would be willing to take the time to investigate what has happened, would mean risking further effects if dilation was part of the exam, and the new alternative equipment does not seem to be available in the state.  Even then, what practitioner would counter another?

What looks like irreversible damage has occurred solely due to the exam.  There is nothing to be done about it, but to appreciate all vision I have, and the natural world while I can because I don't know what additional damage, now that the black running lines have increased, will occur.  And I find that there are too many days when I don't have the strength to fight the onset of a depression over the loss of my vision, and the increased debilitation because of it, and there being nowhere to turn, but forums like this.  
=
The fact that you are going to a neuro-ophthalmologist tells me a lot. These are a tertiary care specialists. They are the cream of the crop and often have to investigate cases of organic vs non-organic vision loss.
I've just had three dilations in both eyes in the past three weeks, one at my opthalmolgist (retinal specialist), another at my optometrist, and a third at another opthalmologist (cataract specialist).

No floaters...  
This link will continue to attract people with belief in 'conspiracy theory" that dilation eye drops cause floaters rather than understanding floaters are a common reason the pupil needs to be dilated or that everything that happens to them in their life will occur following dilation and, like sleeping on a pillow last night, the relationship is coincidental not causative.
There is a definite link between having your eyes dilated and seeing floaters. I too began seeing floaters about a week after the dilation chemical was put into my eye.

I believe the chemicals took a week to seep into the vitreous humour. One thing I have noticed in the last 3 months is that the floaters have been dissipating and I believe this is due to the chemical dissipating through and out of the eye. I am now left with a few floaters that may also disappear in another 3 months.

These eye doctors either don't what to look into this or just don't want to see the truth.
=
I am convinced it's the bright light and the lenses they use to "better look into your eye". I believe if by whatever chance they use the lense wrong the already strong light gets concentrated and damages the eye which causes these floaters in the end. After my last examination I had floaters too, but the doctor didn't use the drops before and just looked into my eye without dilation. The pain I had from this light and the loss of vision for at least 15s was not "normal". That night I had 1 big black floater in my right eye, which never had any floaters before. Maybe normal examination and dilation won't cause floaters, but how about wrong used tools and not so experienced doctors? Does anyone have technical data about the used lamp and lenses? Can the light be concentrated with those lenses to a degree where it could damage the eye?
=
There are a number of studies on the toxicity of light in the eye (photo toxicity), especially the lights used to examine the eye. People that are at greatest risk for photo toxicity are sun-gazers and people having retinal surgery under general anesthesia. During comprehensive exams, anything that could cause photo toxicity would be much to bright to bear.

The vitreous is a gelatinous material on the inside of the eye and there is no evidence that phenylepherine, tropicamide, proparacaine, benoxinate, or cyclopentolate cause a breakdown of this fluid or any lights that are used during a normal eye exam causing this either.

The gel inside the eye has collagen fibers which help the gel hold its shape. As time goes on the gel breaks down and liquid pockets form (vitreous syneresis). The collagen fibers move more freely as there is no longer a semi solid material between them and sometimes clump together. This is how bigger and more freely moving floaters are formed and what you are actually seeing is the shadow of the collagen on the retina.

These shadows are present and have always been present, but become noticeable when the shadows move. And this is because our visual system does ignores things that do not move.

If you do not believe me, another common phenomenon discovered during an eye exam is something called the purkinje tree. These branches of a tree are actually the visualization of the blood vessels that overlie the retina. They are always present, but when light is shined in the eye from various angles, it causes the shadows to move and you perceive the branches.

As someone pointed out earlier uveitis is something that can cause floaters, but they are very easy to distinguish from those caused by the natural breakdown of this fluid. There are other things that can cause floaters like blood cells or pigment cells in the vitreous, or something like an old vitreous hemorrhage or persistent fetal vasculature (although often surprisingly asymptomatic). These are ALL very easy to distinguish from normal floaters.

New floaters are probably discovered after an eye exam, not because they have not been there, but because the dilation has called your attention to it. Floaters are most easily identified outside an eyecare setting when looking at something of uniform color and that is bright, like a blue sky. Post dilation more light is getting to the retina and draws your attention to it and once you notice the floaters, they become harder to ignore. They eventually go away because of neuro adaptation as the doctor says.

During my training I had my eyes dilated several times a week, and I (and my colleagues) do not have lasting consequences of dilation.
I try not to make a habit of spewing anecdotal evidence, or my own theories but I think this may explain what people are experiencing.

Do not fool yourselves either. Doctors do not always brush off your complaints as unfounded--that's why when you say you have floaters they dilate your eyes looking for a vision threatening retinal detachment.

They are experts in figuring out the subtleties of biological processes, but there has to be some kind of data to collect, something demonstrable that can be reproduced in order to acquire the funding for studies. But after looking in people's eyes with no perceivable difference, pre and post dilation hours, days and weeks later there is no such justification. And with millions of dilations happening across the country and more around the world every day with no such evidence found, it is safe to say it is near impossible that there is a link between floaters and dilation.
Trust me if a doctor could slap their name on a study that would shake the bedrock of the eye exam, they would be jumping on the chance. It just is not there, sorry.
=
Hey James how are things now?
=
Doctor, I also got my first floater the day following pupil dilation. I am 33.
=
I suffer from eye floaters that I got the day after my eyes were dilated for the first time ever. I had perfect vision and no floaters prior the exam. After exam I had eye pain and headaches for weeks. Was told by other eye doctor that I had allergic reaction to drops. It was just a routine exam. And that exam ruined my life. Doctor did not even bother to tell me what he was doing and didn't explain anything about dilating my eyes.
=
To Whoever reads that forum. Do not let doctors dilate your eyes. Choose laser scan instead it doesn't require dilation. It cost 40 to 75 bucks but it's worth it. Cuz your life will not be ruined by horrible floaters that appear after routine eye exams for some people. And that can be you. Think twice before letting them put chemicals into your healthy eyes.
=
I'm also noticed floaters right after the dilated my eyes please don't dilate your eyes I'm only 20 I will never go back to a eye doctor never
They are just money hungry and want you to keep going back
Cynic
This is like a Frankenthread...the thread that never dies.

Actually the eye doctors I have seen over the past several decades(optometrist, retinal ophthalmologist, cataract surgeon) were/are anything but money hungry.  Their expertise has been easily worth 2-3 times the amount charged to me as the patient.
Thanks.  Agree totally