Eye Care Community
Floaters and headaches

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Floaters and headaches

I have floaters.  I got some new ones about a month or two ago.  I have seen my eye doctor and he said they is no retinal detachment.  I have a HIGH anxiety level and my brain has not learned to "accomodate" or "ignore" them as he keeps saying they will.  I even have medication I am taking to help not obsess about them, an SSRI and benzodiazapine (which is marginally helping).  

My problem is that I work with a computer and paperwork all day.  When looking at the computer screen and paperwork, the floaters (there are several in each and eye and and one or two in the line of vision) move across the screen/page.  I think my eyes are trying to focus on them even though they can't.  What happens if I end up with a splitting headache by the afternoon and get nauseated (sick to my stomach) too.

The (blankedy-blank) floaters are starting to have a substantial impact upon my work (and life enjoyment in general).  I know that there are two doctors on the east coast that claim to be able to zap the floaters wtih a lazer.  I also know that a vitrectomy can be done in rare, extreme cases.  Hypnosis has even been suggested.  (I'm trying counseling now.)

I don't want to give up my job/profession but I don't want to have headaches and a sick stomach feeling for ever either.  Do you have any resourses and or suggestions on how to cope and when to do what?  Specifically, how much should I let the floaters interfer with and impact my life before I try to have something done?  Getting out of bed in the morning is getting more and more challenging each day.  I'm afraid that depression may be a complication forthcoming.

Any help you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thank you.

Brian
Hello Brian,  I have had floateers since age 10 (I thought I was seeing angels). They can be very annoying but your reaction is totally out of line. First of all the laser treatment of floaters is not effective and I'm sure not covered by insurance. Look hard enough and you'll find a surgeon that will do just about any operation. Save your money. Doing a vitrectomy for the common floater it, in my opinion, absolutely contra-indicated.

Your problem is much more likely anxiety and/or depression. You would probably achieve more quality of life by working with a good psychiatrist on your obscessive behavior.  

JCH III MD Eye Physician & Surgeon
Not sure who to put in the "To:" box?  This is my first time on these things. Anyone explain to me why I see "shadows" or "trailers" every so often?  I do not drink, smoke or do drugs.

Every so often I see a "shadow like" image or "mass" above objects moving, I notice in the care more then any other place when cars pass by me at a intersection or something where I see them moving across my eye sight.  I have even put my hand over the area cars would travel to see if it's just some sort of eye reflection of the car and I still see the 'shadows"?  I've had this for many year and I am now 37 years old and also suffered "chest pains" much of my life and no doctor ever able to tell me why but they tell me to do as i have done since I have learned to deal with it.
Hello Patrick   Use the search feature on this page and search "floaters" and "ophthalmic migraine", see if what you have resembles either two of those entitites.  Then make an appointment with an eye MD physician (ophthalmologist).

If that exam doesn't turn up anything, and you've had these a long time, and they don't change or get worse, then I would stop worrying about them.

JCH III MD Eye Physician & Surgeon
hello doctor, i have had eye floaters since like i was 9 as i can remember, when i was 14 the floaters increased (although they are not that visible and can hardly affect my vision), and a floater on my left eye has like a yellowish color on the dot. Both of my eyes had floaters and has at least one-twp obvious and much visible floaters.I'm now 17 and i'm worried what can happen later on. i get pain above my eye sometimes. so i really need some sound advice what to do about it. thank you
Basically there is nothing that can be done about eye floaters. Laser surgery is only successful with certain types of floaters.  If you have long strands or cob web type floaters your out of luck.  

Also, the medical community views eye floater as a minor benign disturbance.  In most cases they are minor, they can be dibilitating. I myself have severe floaters that regress each year. I am 31 and my quality of life is horrendous!

A lot of people see floaters but there are few that see a giant swarm of strands, cob webs in both eyes. There is no funding for the study of eye floaters, so it's not a priority.  

Maybe one day a safer alternative will be used to dissolve/rid of floaters.  A vitrectomy is not a feasible option, a chance of cataracts or seeing shimmering lights is a known side effect.

Hang in there, I hear doctors say eventually your brain filters them out or you'll get used to them.  You have to accept your condition, if your floaters are minor you will get used to them.

I'm hopeful for an alternative to dissipate floaters without much risk and that gets better results than laser eye surgery.
I had an uncommon headache last night and then this morning I woke up with what I believe is a floater (looks like a large tree branch) across my field of vision, from the outer edge right up to the middle of the field. I've never had anything like this before. I'm in good health, 59 years old. Is it common for large floaters like this to suddenly appear?