Eye Care Expert Forum
Floaters and hemorrhage

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Floaters and hemorrhage

Background: 3 weeks ago I had an accident and I got hit rather hard in the eye with a bamboo skewer. Even though it was the blunt end of the skewer, it still managed to pierce the cornea. The retina did not get pierced, but the shock was enough to cause a hemorrhage which led to a blind spot in my peripheral FOV that has significantly improved over the past 3 weeks as the hemorrhage shrunk. I have been experiencing photopsia for the last 1 or 2 weeks in which I had 3 exams(with the microscope thingy) by 2 different doctors assured me that my retina is still intact. 3 days ago I started seeing floaters too(for the first time). My question: since both doctors said there is no retinal tear or detachment but didn't mention anything about PVD, is there anyway it can be PVD and they missed it? I mean, are the signs of PVD easy to miss even with thorough exams on the retina microscope thing? One of them said the photopsia and the floaters are just the hemorrhage washing away. As I understand, floaters are particles of collagen and they don't really ever go away. Can my floaters be tiny bits of coagulated blood? If so, will they also never wash away? I'm 24 with no history of eye diseases, by the way.
If the floaters are due to blood, they will eventually clear. You are very young for a PVD, but since the floaters are new, I would see a retina specialist for another exam. It is possible that you have developed a retinal tear which caused the new floaters and, if so, this needs to be treated.
Thank you for the reply!
I have a few more questions though. Would a retina specialist employ other tests to detect a tear that the other doctors have missed? Also could the PVD just be trauma related rather than age related?