Eye Care Expert Forum
Floaters in the eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Floaters in the eye

I am HLA B27+ and was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis 2 years back.  I have got Uveitis 3 times and everytime it was treated ontime, but couple of months back I started seeing some spots and floaters in the eye, they are there in both the eyes and especially in the right eye i see a dot as well which is very irritating.  When i first noticed it 3 months back i immediately went to see the doctor and he did all the exams and said there is nothing wrong and made me to see those usual videos of what floaters are and how they occur etc etc, I am not sure if i have started noticing them more or they have become more but they are really getting irritating.  i work on computer most of the day as i am software engineer and i see them every where.  Shall i go and check with doctor again?  is there any way they can be treated?
If there has been an increase in floaters, I would go back and get another dilated exam to be sure nothing has changed.  If they bother you enough, you can see a retina specialist about a vitrectomy surgery to remove them.  It usually is not worth the risk of surgery however.  Do not contemplate lasering the floaters as you may read online.  There are only four doctors who do that in the country and it leads to some devastating complications and sometimes even vision loss.

HV