Eye Care Expert Forum
Floaters

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Floaters

I recently went to my doctor to get a eye check up. I am 20 years old and have a power of -5.75 in both eyes. I've been experiencing floaters for a while now so i thought of getting it checked out for a retinal tear. The doctor checked my retina and said i have several holes and have a weak retina. He said it is advisible to undergo laser therapy which will stop further damage and floaters.

I've heard that there is a lot of debate on this subject. And hence im confused where i should go for the laser therapy.

I also have a couple of questions -
1- Do floaters go away eventually?
2- The doctor was sure that after the therapy there will be no more damage. Is this true?
3- How dangerous are retinal holes?
Your doctor is a M.D. ophthalmologist and possibly a retina specialist? Laser won't get rid of the floaters, but it will help to seal down the weak areas/holes. This will help to prevent retinal tears or detachments, but won't completely get rid of that risk. Retinal holes are more dangerous in someone who has higher myopia (you) and a family history of retinal tears or retinal detachments. I hope this helps.
Thank you for your reply. I'll probably get the laser treatment done to prevent more harm.
so Ankesh14, did you get laser photocoagulation done? There are side effects of laser, such as epiretinal membrane/macular pucker. Laser does jack in asymptomatic lattice or asymptomatic holes, I hope your ophtho educated you on that.

Floaters will remain forever, unless you decide to get floater only vitrectomy done to get them removed. For more floater discussion, do visit ***********.*****.com ... where you can talk to patients suffering from floaters.