Eye Care Expert Forum
Floaters

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Floaters

Hi this is my first post here and thanks for any help ... about a month ago i had a really bad eye infection that took around 3 weeks to improve .. it even spread to the skin under my eyes and around them ..   i saw a few Docs who prescribed anti biotic eye drops and a steroid cream for under and around my eyes..  i was doing well  when suddenly an enormous floater appeared and is very worrying ... i have had small floaters for many years but these never bothered  me .. but i am aware of this paticular floater just about all of the day  and is very disturbing..  i live in the UK and would like to know if there is any help available and also if Laser therapy is available as i cant imagine living with this for ever more .. if i go to see my Doc i know he will say you have to live with it  ... grateful for any help  ..  Micky
You have to go see an ophthalmologist to make sure your retina is intact.  Laser for floaters is a very bad idea.  In cases where you are not able to live normally because of the floater, vitrectomy can be considered as a surgical solution.

HV
Thankyou Mr Vosoghi  for your response ... i am seeing an Opthalmologist next Friday  .. would you please let me know why Laser treatment is a bad idea ..  i have been viewing some U Tube links involving treatment with the Yag laser and the Opthalmologists who are using this particular Laser say it's around 80 % successful and the rest significantly improved ..  
this is why i have joined this forum to  receive correct advice and many thanks for your time .. Micky
I agree with Dr. Vosoghi.  YAG laser treatment of floaters converts a large floater into many small floaters, and has the risk of causing permanent elevation of the eye pressure, possibly causing glaucoma damage.  I would not recommend it.
Thanks DFazio MD  but surely if that were the case they would not use the YAG laser at all ...  on the U Tube link even the smallest floaters were vapourised after the large floater had been broken down .. im going to look into this further considering there are thousands of patients that have had this treatment with significant success ..