Eye Care Community
Fluid Leakage in Eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Fluid Leakage in Eye

I'm a 53 yr old female in general good health last Saturday when I got up I noticed what was like a small transparent, white mark in my field of vision in my left eye. It was like looking through a fingermark on a window pane. I was referred to A&E and then next day to an eye specialist. He put numerous dyes in my eyes and then said that I had a small fluid leak into my eye. He said the number one cause was diabetes. He asked me if I was. I know that I'm not but all the same they tested and found out I wasn't. They also checked my blood pressure which was fine (though slightly raised due to the anxiety) They now want to run some more tests on me generally in a weeks time to try to find the cause. Naturally I'm worried it may continue to leak and also at a loss at to what may have been the cause. From what I'm read it may be caused by eye infections but I've had none. Can anyone help?
It most likely not from a infection.  This is a vascular problem.  You need to have the test done.

Dr. O.
Thanks for answer. Could you expand on this. What kind of tests will be done. I had a string of heart test last summer (including 24hr moniter) and was given a clean bill of health. Thanks
You most likely had a vascular occlusion if you had a heart monitor.

A cause is not found in many of the cases.   Associations include: HTN, irregular heart beat (tested for),  blood being too thick,  diabetes, Lupus,  etc.

I am not sure what test are planned since you have not mentioned what was done by the ophthalmologist.

Dr. O.
I had a heart moniter because docs thought I had right bundle branch block but then decided I did not. They found occasional ectopic beats and an average heartbeat of 75.  I've also had stress tests on a machine and was found to have a good heart ejection fraction.

The opthalmologist said he was looking at the back of my eyeball and put a dye in to dilate my pupils. He also put a yellow dye in and checked my eye pressure in both eyes which was 17.

Thanks for taking time to answer.It has been a big worry to me as I've read it can lead to blindness.

I am also having the same problem - it's like it leaks and kinda burns as if sweat drops have gotten in my eye.  So now I have an appointment with the opthamologist.

Please let me know what you find out :)
I been having the same problam for the past 6 months, yestarday i went to a new eye doc., and I was told that the leak can be from stress. My left eye has the same white blind spot,and got worst after the laser was done( to stop the leak). My eye doc told me that however,the demage from the fluid and the laser left me a big scar in side that is inreversible, and that for now one i will need monitoring my vision constantly to make sure don't get worst. I wish you luck and don't do nothing before you get second and third opinion.