Eye Care Expert Forum
Fluid in retina

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Fluid in retina

I am a 21 year old Caucasian male who does not smoke or drink and is on only Prevacid. I went to the ophthalmologist today for a spot in my vision that has been there constantly for 6 days now.  The spot is about the same size as a mouse cursor on the computer screen. Anything in the spot disappears (including the mouse cursor), and this concerned me because it was not in my natural blind spot.  I have had regular retinal exams for the plethora of floaters I have but have learned to cope with (2 ophthalmologist exams  about 8 months ago and a regular yearly contact exam every year).  The Ophthalmologist did not see anything wrong in the dilated eye exam.  I further described how the spot mimics the colors around it and blurs them in. He decided to do an OCT.   The test giver looked at the results and said that he saw some fluid in the retina, but he said my retina looked great and that the amount of abnormal fluid I had is seen in people who have no vision problems.  The doctor saw the fluid in the OCT (Which I have a copy of) and said he wants to do an Angiogram which I am going to do on my appointment on the 10th of July.  I have seen the spot before, and it seems like it may have gone away last time, but I have noticed a small abnormality in the same spot for about a year now off and on. I would not be posting here but the appointment for my angiogram is 2 weeks away. My questions are 1) Is this a sure sign of macular degeneration? 2)  If it is not, what are some other possibilities for fluid in the eye? 3)  Can excess fluid in the eye go away on its own when it is not macular degeneration?  4) If the fluid can go away, is it common for vision to be restored.  
You might have central serous chorioretinopathy which fits some of your symtoms (symptoms) and demographic profile.  It would also show up as some fluid under the retina on the OCT.  Sometimes it is very diffiuclt to see on the dilated retinal exam but tends to really jump out at you on the OCT scan.  A normal eye should never have fluid collection in or under the retina so I'm very confused about the different comments you have heard .  In other words, is there a problem or not?  It should not be difficult to see, especially in someone young like you.  All they have to do is compare to the other eye, if they want a comparison.  Anyway, good luck, look up central serous chorioretinopathy and see what you think.  If that is what you have, then your prognosis is pretty good and things will likely better, but probably not perfect.

Michael Kutryb, MD
Thank you. I am looking that up now.