Eye Care Community
Focusing vision up close after cataract surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I have just had cataract surgery, this month and last month.  I got the standard mono focal lenses, and asked my eye doctor to give me some close-up vision.  I'm a 65 year old women who spends most of her day doing close-up things, like reading, working on the computer, cooking, sewing, etc.  One eye is now about 20/50, and the other is focused in even closer.  The 20/50 one is great for computer work, and seeing across the room.  The other eye gives me perfect reading vision.  I can read pill bottles and thread needles.  I do have to wear glasses to drive or watch television, but I don't mind this at all, and with glasses I have perfect long distance vision.

My question is why this solution isn't suggested more often.  I haven't heard of anyone else doing it.  Most of what I need good vision for is close-up.  I'm thrilled with the results;  I only need glasses occasionally, and didn't take any of the risks associated with the more experimental lenses.
Probably it should be suggested more often.  Dr. Hagan has recommended it on this forum as his preferred correction.  It probably works best for people who are used to mildly nearsighted vision.  But it's not for everyone, especially people who enjoy many outdoor activities or those who are accustomed to having good distance vision.
-
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to add, it's still the same 4 years later. My surgeon laughed at me when I told him that's what I wanted (two near vision monofocal lenses).   I finally talked him into it on the first eye, and it's not as close vision as I really wanted.  Still got to do the other eye and he already told me not to ask him to make the other eye any closer (as he walked out the door), so I don't know "why."

When my mother had hers done that option was never mentioned to her either, and she is very disappointed because she never needed reading glasses before, and wasn't able to achieve far vision enough to do away with glasses for distance.  So now she needs both.