Eye Care Community
Foggy eyesight after cataract surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Foggy eyesight after cataract surgery

My 82 years old grandmother has been through a cataract surgery on her right eye two days ago (15’th of April 2008). Her cataract was at least 12 years old and partially brownish, but pervious the operation she could, although withy some trouble, see and recognize people around her and on TV. She has been implanted with an Alcon AcrySof IQ (SN60WF) 29 D.
Now her sight is severely worse, she only distinguishes shadows; she describes her vision as covered in a thick white-bluish fog; she cannot read in the newspaper (not even the big letters), cannot recognize faces or see the shape of objects placed at 2-3 meters, but neither can she see (at all) the block-of-flats across the street. She says that all is just a big white thing. Can she hope for any improvement in time?
The left eye has been unsuccessfully operated last year of closed angle glaucoma and cataract during the same procedure. The implant has failed due to an intraocular bleeding. She’s not been given much chances for that eye, but she correctly recognizes the colours of objects with it, even in the absence of a lens, except for a blue-violet tint.
I should mention that her health condition includes intraocular hypertension, arterial hypertension and chronic ischemia of the legs, even a by-pass to the right leg, for which she takes anti-thrombosis drugs.

Is there anything else to be done to save some of her eye sight, or is it all a lost cause?
I would be very grateful for any adviced answer!

Thank you!
Tania
It has only been two day and it sounds like she was a very, very, very difficult case to work on from what you mentioned about narrow angles, brown cataract, glaucoma, small eye with shallow chambers.  It may take her several weeks to recover, even in the best circumstances.  I'm sorry but only time will tell.  For now she just has to follow instructions and take proper drops and please call the surgeon with your concerns.  Believe me, he would remember her case and should be very interested in her recovery.
MJK MD
Thank you very much for your prompt answer. It helps thinking that there may be a bit of hope.
Honestly, I did not feel much interest from the part of the surgeon. It looks like because of the age of my grandmother we are not taken very seriously. The surgeon claims he does not believe that the eyesight has worsen. He also claims she could not have seen virtually anything before, or I do know that she was able, for instance, to cut in quite small dies the oignon for cooking. That she may have had a narrow field of sight, well, that one I can believe.
I have one more question bothering me. Could that thick fog she's seeing be a result of a not suitable lens? And could you, please, tell me some main advantages and downsides of the lens type I have chosen (Alcon AcrySof IQ (SN60WF))?
It was all my choice, you see (except for the power, of course), a choice I made like 20 minutes before the operation, having as the only guidance the fact that I wanted a foldable one, for a minimal trauma and the price (higher than for some others - therefore I thought it was slightly better). I should mention that we directly supported all the costs. From what I read on this forum, I am sort of glad now that I did not choose a multifocal lens (I was tempted, because they were even more expensive...).

I hope I am not abusing your time...

Thank you again!
Tania