Eye Care Community
Food allergies and itchy, swollen eyes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Food allergies and itchy, swollen eyes

About a year ago, I noticed that I had become allergic to wine. I think the reaction was brought on by stress, as I had to put my mother in a nursing home and am now trying to keep my 89-year-old father out of one.

Initially, I went to an allergy specialist, and he told me that, yes, my diagnosis was correct and that I simply had to avoid wine. On the advice of an N.D., I started taking enzymes for the liver and pancreas. About the same time, I started acupuncture treatments for inflamed feet. My eye allergies seemed to go away, but several months ago, I became allergic to just about everything: sulfites, nuts, all food preservatives, high-fructose corn syrup and possibly tomato sauce. The enzymes don't seem to work any longer, so I'm returning to my acupuncturist this week to see if that helps.

My allergic reaction is (1) my eyes  start itching almost immediately after drinking wine or eating certain foods and (2) the next day, my eyes are red, very swollen and extremely sensitive. The swelling is especially bad under my eyes, and sometimes I have what looked like under-the-skin blisters. The skin around my eyes, especially underneath, seems to lose every bit of moisture and draw up, making me look about a hundred years old (I'm 61).

I've tried all sorts of creams, but the only thing that seems to give me relief is vaseline. After about four or five days, the areas around my eyes (especially the lids and under the brow) become very rough, almost like a fine grit sandpaper. That's when I know that I'm in the last phase of a reaction. On the sixth or seventh day, I'm OK again . . . until the next time when I have a reaction to something.

Has anyone experienced anything like this and learned how to treat it? Help!

Sunset Sarah

I have nothing to add.

Dr. O.