For those with the bright spot when blinking symptom
There are several of us on here who have a similar eye complaint: seeing a bright flash, like the afterimage of a flash bulb, when we blink, and sometimes, on upgaze. This is  transient symptom for most of us, lasting anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. When the "spot" in our visual field passes over a dark background, the spot appears light. When the spot passes over a light background, it appears dark.

So far, the doctors haven't been able to diagnose us, and perhaps that means it is simply some idiopathic phenomenon. But, in any case, I'm wondering what other similarities we might all have that could bring us closer to a an explanation.

For instance, other factors about me which might be clues are:

I take 100 mg of Zoloft a day
I would describe myself as high-anxiety and stress
I clench my teeth, usually on the same side as the effected eye
I have alot of sinus problems around my eyes
I have double vision due to a weak muscle in one eye
I have many floaters and one very prominent one in the eye without the bright spot

How about you?
No MRIs, but I'm pretty sure mine is related to my retina. My understanding is that you have a pigment layer in your retina that carries light through the retina and to the optic nerve. When I get my Central serous retinopathy, the centre section develops something similar to a blister. It disrupts the flow of this pigment, and makes it visible, especially when I blink or move my eyes from a dark area or a light area. Basically, the blistered area can;t keep up with the non-blistered area and so the dark or light lingers in the area of disruption.
This is what I suspect is happening in my other eye.
Why it;s happening is what worries me.
It could be small detatchments which, I've read, can accompany CSR and can go of their own accord.
That's what I suspect it may be.
THey may also recur, which is what may be happening.
But until I get a second opinion and ask the questions I should have asked last time, then I won;t know for sure, and it's the constant uncertainty that grinds me down.
I've had it two months that I know of now, and I continually move from feeling like it's probably okay to wondering if I'm going blind.

One thing my Retinologist did say though, was that the more you focus on something in your eye, the more your brain sees it. I think he was suggesting that your brain learns to kind of fill in the blanks and make up for the errors, but if you constantly look for the errors and find them, then your brain sees them more clearly.

Of course he did end with "The brain is a powerful thing," which to me smacked of "You're imagining it."

Personally I'd be happy if I was imagining it. Just so long as they could prove it to me.

If it's any consolation, when I first had my CSR, I was convinced I'd have a brain tumour. My doc said she really doubted it, though, because usually with brain related problems there is more than one symptom. Typically, you'd have a collection, like dizzyness, hearing problems, character change, strange tastes, maybe strange smells, headaches etc. Single symptoms were usually rare in such cases.
As i understand it, if the problem is on one eye, then the problem has to be occurring BEFORE the optic chiasm, which is the part of the brain where the optic nerves cross. anything from there back would manifest in both eyes.

So, yes, the problem could be with the brain, not the yes in our cases.

It could be the optic nerves.

Gotte, my spots do not look like droplets. They most definitely look like an afterimage of some sort. They vary in size, but the largest would is probably larger than a fingernail at  arm's length.

I have had an MRI of my optic nerves, but I never went back for the results (fool).

Can you see yours on an Amlser grid? can you see through it?

Astroturf,
I can't look directly at my spots, since they don't move and aren't at my point of focus (yet!). they behave exactly as your does, with the curtains, window etc.

There is defintely something in regard to the brain becoming trained to notice things.
If  you always think about your nose interfering with your vision, for example, you will become increasingly distracted by it.

I'm not saying this is in our heads, but we do become hyper-aware of our vision, which doesn't help and increases anxiety.
It's funny, because when I use the glasses technique, I can find so much. I can see all the veins, I can even see the fine texture of the retina, but when I see the veins and the texture I can;t see the spots. It's like they're at a different level. Of course, that's after weeks of practice, though.
I remember reading on here someone commenting on how they could even make out the blood cells moving in the veins, which wouldn;t surprise me.
When I wasn;t looking for anything, of course, I saw nothing, which kind of underlines the point about hyper-awareness.

It's a mystery to me. Maybe I'll find out when I finally get seen again by a retinologist.
Have experienced this symptom for years, my flashes tend to be mainly in the left eye occasionally in the right, I too have many floaters. Would agree with the tension thing in the shoulders and neck and like others on here I'm a worrier.

Have had an eye exam all seems OK, I think that there is truth in the fact that the brain does seem to draw attention to them and may well be a psychological thing/stress thing.
Very interesting discussion here. Though I do not have as many "symptoms" as you guys I can spot a grey line in my peripheral temporal vision (beyond the natural blind spot) of the right eye, this grey line is fairly long but quite thin. Also I happen to see another grey line in my left eye and indeed I can notice it even better when fixing my eye and moving my head.

Also the detection thing with the glasses interests me. Indeed when I blink or use and object in front of my eyes (very close) and moving it upwards and downwards I can see a grey to black line (same as mentioned earlier). The line seems to be a fill in effect, as for example dark lines within a predominantly white background seem to be filled in white at the location of the earlier mentioned grey line, while a dark object seems to fill in the location of the line with a dark colour.

I too am quite scared that these effects might become worse and sometimes become quite depressed when noticing the effect more often. However indeed the brain seems to be quite capable to focus its attention to a "visual effect" as I used be very scared about a floater, because I believed it was a scotoma (the same fear applies again with this newly discovered effect). However once I noticed (or discovered) this "defect" I'm not as troubled by the floater anymore and more constantly busy with testing the new visual effect to see if it gets worse. Though this may sound strange there is a reason for my fear: glaucoma runs in the family and thus I'm afraid that I might get that and so I'm always very aware of any visual defects or "unexplainable" effects.

I'm going to see my ophthalmologist next Friday and will report what she said if you would like that. However I fear/hope that she cannot discover nor explain the effect that I have described here.
The only few similarities I see are the clinching of the teeth and migraines.  Other then that my spots appear at any time without always blinking.  Sometimes when I try to read something small my eyes will go back and forth almost like a typewriter bar.  (I'm sure some of you will not understand that because of your age.)  I also have a buzzing in my head with a lightheaded feeling. Can someone identify with these symptoms.

Desiderata
I just came across this post and found it very interesting because I've been having this problem since September of last year.  I've had one that lasted a week in my right eye, one that has lasted 4 months in my left eye, a central scotoma that is only noticable in dim light/dark environments (which is the opposite of all the others) for 3 months in both eyes (I call it my black hole), and then one that lasted for just over 24 hours in my right eye.

I've seen a neurologist and an ophtomologist.  I had an MRI, VEP & visual field done.  The MRI came back with several lesions in the optic radiations area of the brain.  I was told there is nothing physically wrong with my eyes, that it is totally a neurological problem.  The VEP was normal and I have yet to find out the results of the visual field.

I do suffer from migrianes, floaters, tmj, grind my teeth and have sinus/allergy issues.

Just glad to hear of others that have the problem as well.
Hi there
I thought if the problem was in the brain, then the symptoms would manifest bilaterally. Did the neurologist say whether the lesions were in the optic chiasm?

I have the same thing (posted above somewhere) and too have been told there is nothing wrong with my eyes. I haven't had an MRI though ...
I also got this symptom in both eyes ~ 10 mo ago about the same time I got bad floaters and visiual snow, photophobia. The bright flash symptom must be upstream of where my optic nerves meet since the symptom is identical in both eyes.  I only notice this in dark rooms and when waking up for a few minutes. Fotunately, all of these symptoms have remained relatively constant. Eye doctors couldn't find anything wrong with eye, per se.
No, my neurologist didn't say anything about the lesions other than to say I have around 20 of them and that he thinks I might have MS.  I found out where the lesions were when I got the radiology report and saw the MRI pictures.  I have them on both sides of the brain in the optic radiations and other areas.  All of the visual spots have gone away except for the central scotoma that has lasted for 4 months next week.  

HTH
does sound like optic neuritis associated with ms
I found this thread while looking for an explanation for the small blind spot that I have the upper right field of vision of my left eye when I blink. It just showed up a month ago and I have not been able to figure out what it is yet. There is also a twitch in my left eye that appeared roughly 2 months ago.

I just thought I would comment on this because at the beginning of 2008 I began to have visual migraines with aura which started immediately after having amalgam fillings put in several teeth.

I had the amalgam fillings safely removed at the beginning of 2009 and the migraines disappeared completely. Now I just have this blind spot which may or may not be related to the amalgam. I felt obligated to mention this to you folks so that you can take this into consideration if you happen to have amalgam fillings.

You can read about my entire amalgam battle here
That is very interesting. I have thie same problem as the above people describe and I have quite a few fillings, although I don't know if they're amalgam. I have both dark and light colored fillings.

I also developed migraine auras fairly suddenly in early 2007 before I notice my 1st blind spot later that year. My auras have remained constant and I've been dealing w/this ever since.

Also, I wear a plastic guard at night because I grind my teeth and I've had it a long time.
It is indeed interesting and disturbing at the same time. Amalgam consists mainly of mercury which is a heavy metal that is toxic. The dark fillings in your mouth are amalgam and there are numerous studies that have been done that prove that they are harmful and yet the dental association continues to make claims that they're safe.

Go to Google and search "How Mercury Causes Brain Neuron Damage" and the first result that comes up is a nice video demonstrating the damage that a mercury filling does to your brain.

When I started having migraines I was stumped as to why they started abruptly and out of the blue. I saw neurologists, ENTs, doctors, sleep doctors, had brain MRIs and numerous other studies done before I realized that all my troubles started when I got the fillings.

I notified all of my doctors when I realized what was going on and they all told me that the belief that mercury fillings cause migraines was quackery and that insurance would not pay for the removal. They all wanted to give me drugs to mask the symptoms.

At the beginning of 2009 I decided to just pay out of my pocket to have the fillings removed. I then followed the removal with a heavy metal detox called HMD. My detox ended in April of 2009 and it’s been 5 months now and I have not had another migraine. Prior to the removal I was having debilitating migraines with aura 2 - 3 times a week.

I have heard doctors say that it was just the placebo effect that cured me however I disagree with that because if that were true then the changes in diet and the drugs that I tried would have fixed my problem long before the mercury removal. Another interesting fact about placebo is that doctors have no understanding of the underlying science behind the placebo effect. They are basically using placebo which is a term they don't understand as an argument against removing mercury which they have either been told or choose not to understand. Perhaps they understand very clearly the effects of mercury vapor inhalation on the body but simply don't care, it's hard to say.

Notice that thousands of dollars were spent before I had the fillings removed and the money I paid them fixed nothing. This is precisely what the medical industry wants which is to get paid large sums of money for doing nothing. I do think that there are a few doctors around that do sincerely care about us, but they are far a few between.

Take my advice and do NOT get mercury fillings and if you have them please seriously consider having them safely removed and then detox. You will thank me later.
wow, i'm so happy i found this page! i have the exact same symptoms you're describing! i too suffer from migraine with aura (less lately though), allergies and grind my teeth at night! they recently did serological testing on me and found i have lyme disease (borreliosis) after a tick bite from 3 years ago. has anyone of you been bitten by a tick as well? please let me know, and if you have any serological testing done could you please report the outcome on this board? i'm hoping this could explain the symptoms! they could not find the bacteria in my spinal fluid so i'm on oral antibiotics now for 1 month, but i'm having the serology re-done in 4 months to see if the bacteria is gone. if not, it could possibly be neuroboreliosis (false negative result in spinal fluid) which requires intravenous antibiotics.

all the best and good luck to you all!
Yes I’m in the same half sighted sailing boat as every one else here. Simular problems and you name a test I’ve most likely had it. MRI scans etc etc.

I think the answer lies in the area of migraine or epilepsy. My view and these are only my observations, these are, that the mechanism of both migraine and lesser forms of epilepsy are loosely related (chemical v electrical storm). That it is possible to have migraine all the time it just affects things more on different days (stress etc) so it flares up never goes and in local areas i.e. eyes or optic lobe or anywhere along that path. Hence symptoms can be one eye or both. The damage left is because once a path (set of cells) or set of small blood vessels or area (pin size is enough) of brain is struck by the migraine or epilepsy it is more likely to be attacked again (undefended area). These areas become hyper sensitive to stimulation be that light, stress or bursts of migraine activity in time damaging a small section of path (sight).
This is only my view.

My symptoms are

• Bright stick like lights in both eyes on exercise
• Sudden attacks of a large missing spot which is blue grey red/pink and gets better gets worse and is very distressing.
• Constant daily flashes or black white 'burning' areas of no sight - settle quickly.
• Residue damage i.e. small blind areas and distorted lines on books, reading computer etc etc.
• Spots that a blurred blue/grey cloudy like – on waking.
• Floaters heaps and big
• Complex basilar artery migraine - visual and neurological symptoms only
• Happening for almost twenty years now - no real improvement or  medical diagnosis

Some relief with Dilantin for migraine 100 mg - had to stop after 12 years as was causing rapid heart beat and Dilantin causes increased urination freq. With other male problems this was becoming an issue but it did work on many of the problems – not all.

My theories were given weight when my second daughter was born. She developed complex migraine with extreme visual and neurological symptoms ( even seeing things that were not there) at a very young age. She is now treated (after scans etc) with Tegratol for this.

I think that what throws doctors off is that the symptoms are not side specific almost all neurological symptoms are side specific and in many of these cases there is no indication of anything wrong with the eye. If the EGG is negative then epilepsy is ruled out. Also most of these eye problems are reversible or improve even in the short term. Doctors can not make a guess and treat for a guess and without research into’ us the few’ knowledge will not be established as to these causes. It is not the doctor’s fault that nothing can be found to establish cause.

This is just my two cents worth of course, all issues need investigating to rule out the known problems like brain tumours etc. When all the other tests are negative then its time to think if it looks almost like a duck use duck shot.
The point being made here is It is possible all these things if not caused by a known eye problem are related to forms of low level migraine or epilepsy. That the negative EGG does not rule out very local forms of the disease.
Thus treatment requires a good talk and a plan with helpful and good doctors. My daughter’s treatment was started based on my history and her symptoms by some excellent doctors and her life has been greatly improved as a result.

An idea – start finding out if you have a family history of funny things that people have  just shrugged off – visual problems, fits etc.
Hi Tiredsight, I hate to hear that you are having these types of problems.

You stated:

"An idea - start finding out if you have a family history of funny things that people have  just shrugged off - visual problems, fits etc."

My opinion which I consider fact is that you have labeled a symptom as the cause. I feel that many people these days are labeling symptoms as causes and afterall people can name a disease after either. Before you respond to me with your opinions I ask that you try what I am suggesting first and then you can respond to me with facts not opinions because you will have ruled out whether I am right or wrong by actually trying it.

Mike Adams (The Health Ranger) writes:

"The only thing that stands between a person and their own perfect health is information. Empowered with the right information, anyone can improve their health, reduce their dependence on prescription drugs, enhance their quality of life and expand their mental awareness and creativity.

Achieving outstanding health is not complicated. The human body already knows how to be healthy. All you have to do is give your body outstanding nutrition so that it has the building materials it needs to heal disease and rebuild itself from the inside out. You must also avoid all of the foods and food ingredients that cause disease. Today, more than 95% of all chronic disease is caused by food choice, toxic food ingredients, nutritional deficiencies and lack of physical exercise."

The best thing that anyone can do when their body is not working right is to look at their lifestyle. Ask yourself, "What do I put into my mouth every day, what do I breathe in the air and do I exercise and get enough sleep?" I am convinced that the reasons people are sick these days is because of:

a) Intaking toxins from food, air and water and not detoxing by eating right.
b) Eating GMO foods.
c) Getting not enough exercise.
d) Getting not enough sleep.
e) Eating foods that are stripped of nutrients or not eating foods with nutrients.
f) Prescription drugs are bad for you.

The body is very complex and amazing and in my opinion was not designed or evolved to be "sick". Please take a drive out into the country or whatever it takes to reflect on today's society. You will realize how strange it is that so many people are falling ill these days and nobody including doctors know why. We are working against natures design / evolution and the only solution is to get back on track with what nature intended.

Tiredsight, I used to experience all of the symptoms you have mentioned in addition to losing my ability to think, would go blind three days a week, would shake uncontrollably, and I was weak and I had no energy. I was sick at least once a month and would miss work.

I have completely healed myself with the exception of a twitch in my left upper eyelid without the use of any prescription drugs by simply changing my lifestyle. I fixed a - e above and then I removed toxins from my body (amalgam in my teeth) and used chelator to flush the metal plus other toxins out of my system. Eating nutrient rich foods will naturally detox the body as well.

I challenge any and all of you who are having problems on this forum to honestly try what I have mentioned above without cheating. It will require effort, research and will power. Once you start feeling better without drugs you will realize that big brother and all of the corporations and medical associations have one goal in mind which is to keep people sick so that they can make a profit from our sicknesses.

Perhaps what some percieve as "family history" is nothing more than poor lifestyles passed from one generation to the next. Many people think they are eating healthy because they eat good per the status quo but in reality they are misinformed (by big corporations and medical associations that are bios and have a vested interest in keeping people sick) and simply uneducated. Do not think for a second that organizations in general care about you. People are greedy and selfish and knowing this is one of the biggest steps in healing yourself.

I was not going to write the response because I know people have a tendancey to ignore anything that's outside of the status quo but at the same time I feel obligated to help people when I can, so I wrote this. Listen to me if you want to not be sick and have strange things happening to you that no doctor can explain.

A good place to start to learn about good nutrition is natural news. Just Google "Natural News".

I wish everyone on this forum the best ever.

I have found this site while trying to find out what is wrong with my vision.  Oddly I have a friend that has had this for years.  Now I have got it as well.

Some of the things I have found according to me:

I don't have allot of floaters, just a normal amount.  I have no flashes of light in the eyes (which may indicate retina detachment).  I am not taking any meds or have any known physical disorders. I am not having migraines.

These spots come on sudden.  They seem completely random,  They can appear anywhere in either eye, perifery, macula etc.  You can see them best by looking at a bright light with solid color like the sky or a computer monitor displaying white, then blinking the eye.

They can last seconds, hours, days or be permanent (although mine aren't yet).  

I have had a series of spots in one eye come and go in the same location all day long.  While blinking I could actually see these spots fade then appear and fade again.

What they seem to be are dead spots in your vision.  The eye is basically blind in that spot.

The reason you seem to be able to "see through" them is because your brain is filling in the missing information.  You are not really "seeing" through them really, your brain is guessing what should be there.  When you blink and see the spots your brain is lagging behind and not filling in the area fast enough.

When you look at the edge of a light/dark area you get a blur spot in that area.  You brain is not sure how to "guess" if the area is light or dark because both are surrounding that spot so it averages them to a grey or whatever the surrounding colors are.

If you were to take the tip of a pen and hold it in front of you then slowly move it into the part of your vision with the dead spot(s)  (hard to do without looking at it) you will see the tip dissappear as it moves into the dead area.

I have some guesses but I really wish I knew what this was.

I have thought that it may be poor circulation in the eye causing cell death.  I have thought it may be some auto immune disorder that has your body attacking the cells in your eye.  I have thought maybe it is something causing lesions on the optic nerves and/or pathways to the brain.   I have considered that it may be in the brain itself .  Since I am no physician I don't know the likely cause.  All physicians also seem stumped by this condition. Any clues here would be appreciated though.

This is EXACTLY what i have had happening for 10+ years, although my spots become permanant. Your theory is similar to mine - I just wonder why not one of my opthalmologists has any kind of explanation.
I wanted to give my story about my "spot". I have been lurking for a year now and wanted to finally post my story.... Please forgive me for posting all over the place in no order. I am trying hard to remember my story from the past 15 months.

About 15 months ago I was walking from one room to the next when I saw a few flashes of light. Then I noticed I have this spot that you all speak of. It is in my left eye and peripheral. A few days later I experienced sharp shooting pain in same said eye. When I blink it flashes and it *sometimes* has twinkly movement within it. Let me just say now that I have had this same spot for 15 months. My vision has not been affected nor have I ever had more than one. It is oval in shape.

When this spot first appeared, I went to 2 different eye dr's and actually just spoke with a third one (during my own daughters eye visit). I want to say that although they were optometrists, each one stated that this is nothing to worry about, and although it cannot be explained that it was completely neurological and probably associated with migraines. They also stated that further testing would not show anything. Since I am a worry wart I asked that if this thing was still in my vision in a year's time...should I pursue it(?) I was told, NO.

Back to my story...Over the course of the next few months after this appeared I started getting more symptoms. Chronic ear pain that was connected to my (gray spot) eye!!! After seeing my PCP who put me on sinus meds, an allergist that gave me testing with negative results, and an ENT that finally diagnosed me..I was diagnosed with TMJ. I saw a specialist who found arthritis in my jaw joint and my joint also pops out of place and back in if I open my mouth wide enough. I clench at night. It is important to note that the side I have TMJ in is the same side as the problem with my eye.

Here's the weird thing.... Whenever my TMJ is acting up really bad, the spot is most noticeable. Whenever I have really bad ear pain it feels as if my eyeball is connected and the spot is much visible and what I like to call *on fire* in which it is very prominent. It is also important to note that when I seem to be going through a period of time where my jaw is trying to heal and I have much less pain...the gray spot actually begins to fade!!! It almost seems as if I could heal my jaw, the gray spot would totally fade out. I also have other visual disturbances: in the morning when I wake up (sometimes) I see a black shadow that fades, I see after images (I can look at something for a while, look the other way, and see the outline of it), and I can also see what look like yellow veins in my vision), and floaters seem more apparent.

Although I definitely have migraine symptoms, I find it most strange that when I am going through episodes of terrible TMJ associated pain, that this thing is really sparkling...but when I am making good progress and do not clench at night...it seems to fade(?).

As far as stress factors, I struggle with moderate anxiety in regards to health related issues. I've been labeled a hypochondriac...it's not that I make things up...but when I do have something going on it's the worst. I can tell you that it does not help when reading this thread you see "multiple sclerosis". On the other hand, it is very encouraging to see that people have had this spot for years.

Lastly, I wanted to add that my vision as a whole has not been affected. I only have ONE gray spot that has never went away...and I have never had more than one. Of course I do experience blurry vision in same said eye, but that is a side effect of TMJ, too.

So is this grey spot from migraines or some kind of pressure behind the eye related to my TMJ? I don't know. No, I have never went and had an MRI or seen an opthamologist.  I had to add that.

Are you guys ready for the most amazing thing of it all? My aunt had one at the EXACT same time as I did that lasted a year!!!!!! The good news is this: Hers just recently went away. She, too, has been diagnosed with migraines. I also have a mother, uncle, and (late) grandmother that suffer migraines.

CRAZY!!!