For those with the bright spot when blinking symptom
There are several of us on here who have a similar eye complaint: seeing a bright flash, like the afterimage of a flash bulb, when we blink, and sometimes, on upgaze. This is  transient symptom for most of us, lasting anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. When the "spot" in our visual field passes over a dark background, the spot appears light. When the spot passes over a light background, it appears dark.

So far, the doctors haven't been able to diagnose us, and perhaps that means it is simply some idiopathic phenomenon. But, in any case, I'm wondering what other similarities we might all have that could bring us closer to a an explanation.

For instance, other factors about me which might be clues are:

I take 100 mg of Zoloft a day
I would describe myself as high-anxiety and stress
I clench my teeth, usually on the same side as the effected eye
I have alot of sinus problems around my eyes
I have double vision due to a weak muscle in one eye
I have many floaters and one very prominent one in the eye without the bright spot

How about you?
This just started, only after looking at my iPod touch or PC. Otherwise im fine. Is this a link? And is my vision in danger by this?
It's good to know I'm not the only one. How are you?
It seems this thread has been inactive for a loooong time. I tried to bump it by posting my story, but no luck.

If you ask me, it really seems like it is somehow TMJ connected for a bunch of folks. Mine did not start until my TMJ began. It feels like my jaw is somehow connected to my eye with all the problems. Only difference with me is that I only have one spot and it is still there after 15 months....It's on fire obvious when my jaw hurts, and when I am having a really good few days it starts to fade. It's just that I've never had enough good days to see if it will go away completely.
I have the same problem that everyone on here has.  I went to my eye doctor and he said that it could be the gel behind me eye sticking to my retina and everytime I blink it could be pulling it.  He said he couldn't see this happening but it could be in a place where he couldn't see it.  
Has anybody else been told this?  
Yes, along with
* migraine variant
* some kind of toxic amblyobia
* Vitreous syneresis
* optic nerve lesions
* floaters (!!!!)

no definitive diagnosis ...
hi there, i have this problem too, it happens occasionall.  I also have severe TMJ issues and i also have bad anxiety.....seems to be quite a trend here.  I wonder if its related to TMJ?  I have mentioned it to the optometrist and DR and neither of them have any idea what it is.
Thanks for your reply. I don't have TMJ, and I had a normal eye exam. I have an appointment with a neuro - for JUNE, that's how booked up he is
We all need Dr. House. This seems to be a strange epidemic. I am at my wits end
Oh boy am I glad I have found this forum!

I have also got a bright spot in my vision. It's in my left eye just below where the blind spot is, on the left hand side. It is exactly like someone has taken a photo with the flash on but unlike when that happens this doesn't go away. It has been there for around a week now.

I can see it when I close my eyes and if I stare at a central point and wave my hand through the area the bright spot is bits of my hand disappear.

The spot also kind of sparkles sometimes and it does seem to change colour depending on what I'm looking at and what kind of light I'm in.

I have had a cat scan which turned up nothing abnormal and have been referred to a neurologist by both the optician and my dr. By some stroke of luck there was a cancellation for the neurologist so I am able to get in tomorrow. There was apparently nothing wrong with my eye but the optician did feel that something was wrong with my optic nerve (can't remember if he said it was swollen or something was pushing onto it?)

Like so many others on here I suffered from migraines (during puberty and when I was pregnant with my now 14 month old son). I also have anxiety and clench my teeth. I had never heard of TMJ until I read this forum but I have known for a while that there was a problem with my jaw as it constantly clicks and on occasion gets locked.

I can't believe there are others with the same issue and yet noone has had a proper dianosis.

I will let you all know how I go tomorrow.

Oh - and Noelle77 - totally with you about Dr House. My hubby and I were joking about this last night.

I recently been put on Pristiq (anxiety med)
I am High Stress/Anxiety,Worrier,Hypocondriac,etc.

This cresent pink light appears worse on tv,,monitor,light back grounds. This started yesterday for me and has not gone away and is driving me CRAZY! I had a optomitrist and Opthymologist appointments this past month for blurryish problems and they both say my vision is GREAT NOTHING WRONG! Nothing wrong? There is I know what I see!!!!!!
I have this problem too, eye docs say it's nothing. WHAT IS THIS???? Everyday with these strobe lights, sometimes they are purple, actually many times they are purple
Hi All,

I have had my neuro appointment. He has booked me for an MRI and referred me back to an opthalmologist to double check it's not an eye problem. He said that as the CAT scan has already come back clear it is nothing too serious.

I saw the opthal on Fri and guess what... nothing wrong with my eyes! Perfect vision, etc, etc the same as everyone else.

The Opthal diagnosed me with optic neuritis (a swelling of the optic nerve) and is pleased that I will be having an MRI. He advised that my vision should return to normal within around 6 weeks but I may be left with a small permanent addition to the normal blind spot. He could find absolutely nothing wrong with my eyes and is certain the issue lies beyond the disk putting the problem back in the brain category.

So, MRI booked for 16/12 then back to the neuro. Again, I will let you know how it goes.

Interestingly, the spot is still there but has become less irritating. I'm not really sure whether it has stopped being as bright or rather that my brain has become used to it and is now compensating. Either way I am glad it is not bothering me as much.
Hi I will paste the message I posted in several forums, my symptoms are exactly like yours guys:

(sorry for my bad english)

This is my original message:

Hello! lets see if I know how to explain my case... and sorry for my bad english

For about 15 days I see 3 spots in my vision, on the left side of my right eye. It started as a shining L-shaped spot and I was able to see it with my eyes open or closed, it was like a patch of sunlight, the same as when we see the sun and after that remains a "shining mark" that reverses the colors, but in my case never left.

I went to the emergency room and the doctor found nothing unusual, it says that everything is normal but "may be" a "floc crumpled" (WTF?) in the vitreous, but when I asked where was that "floc" stuck and why doest move, the doctor put a face of surprise and did not answer. (I have floaters, but I know that is normal... they move).

After that, the "shinning" scotoma changed to 3 spots, one larger than the others, they do not shine now and I see them more on smooth surfaces (mostly white or gray) and I see it very much when I blink, and when I see stripes too because those scotomas modify the colors, yes, I think they are transparent, or I think they are because those spot are located slightly to the left, not in the center.

I should also say that the spots disappear on the surface I see, that is, if now I see a white surface they are gray or the color I was seeing before, but gradually fade away to become the same as the surface color (and the scotoma disappears), and then if I see a black surface the scotoma is white or yellow and after a few seconds of seeing the black surface the scotoma disappear again.

The truth? I'm worried because that doctor diagnose something random and I'm not too convinced.

Oh.. I almost forgot... yes, I must say that I see them less, but I think they are a bit larger and more round.

UPDATE: Today I had a big headche and I started to see a BIG bright scotoma in my left eye, it lasted a few minutes and disappears, also I was really worried because I had a big fight with my wife... maybe all this is stress related?
I'm so glad I found this forum.  Trying to google "I see a spot when I blink" brings up all kinds of stuff.

Last night I noticed that every time I blinked there would be a small gray spot in my right eye like a flashbulb after effect or effect of looking at the sun or a bright flash off a chrome bumper.  But, it faded immediately.  Blink: there it was, then quickly (like in less than a second)  it would fade.  I kept grabbing fine print items to see if the area where the spot appeared looked blurred out or not but since it wasn't exactly in my central field of vision, I couldn't really tell. I don't think it was blanking out vision there but I've read that the brain fills in information so who knows.  

I kept sitting there blinking fast to see it appear and disappear.  I read somewhere about it possibly being a pressure phosphene from one's eyelid so I just covered my eye with my hand and pulled it away fast and there was the spot, then quickly it disappeared just like when I blink.  So that rules out phosphene since I wasn't changine the pressure, just changing my focus from darkness to light.

This went on for about 6 hours, but the spot got smaller.  This morning, it's gone.  I seem to recall this happening before when I was driving in sunny weather and I wondered why one of my eyes was taking so long to recover from seeing a bright light -- I didn't really analyze it then.

I've never had any eye problems and just had a dilated exam 6 months ago where my eye pressure in both eyes was slightly increased but still on the cusp of normal.  I don't have any neurological symptoms -- no weird smells, no change in behavior or hearing or anything like that.  

To add to the information requested by the first poster -- I'm a very Type A person with very high stress, labile blood pressure that shoots very high (165/105) when I'm anxious or worried but sits at 120/75 the rest of the time.  I'm not on medication for this but I have to watch getting too stressed out.  I have TMJ and grind my teeth/clinch at night.  I also have major trigger point problems in my shoulders and neck from tensing/clinching those muscles and I have lots of neck-related headaches. I have lots of sinus problems, too, and they are worse on the side where this spot appeared in my eye.  I also get migraines, usually migraine aura without headache but also migraine with aura so I've seen scintillating scotoma in my field of vision many, many, many  times -- in both eyes because migraine auras originate in the brain -- and this spot when blinking is NOT a migraine scotoma.  

I have an appointment with my eye doctor in two weeks.  I'll mention this and post back here if I learn anything from her.
OH, I forgot to mention that I also have a lot of floaters, particularly in my right eye where I saw this spot.  I was wondering if it's possible that this effect is from the vitreous pulling away from the retina?  I'm 45 and nearsighted and my floaters started getting worse about 10 years ago but every yearly eye exam has been good.  I've read about "flashers" from vitreous tugging on the retina -- I think that's what happens -- when it pulls away in middle age, maybe this effect could be related?  I've never really read a good explanation of what a flasher looks like.
Just updating on my last post.

Have had an MRI and they could find nothing abnormal. I will return to my neurologist in at the end of January but am very doubtful he will provide a diagnosis.

I can no longer notice my spot unless I close my other eye and intentionally look for it and even then it is much smaller and barely noticable so hopefully that will provide some relief to those who have just begun this phenomenon.

I really think this may have something to do with stress or anxiety as it seems a little too coincidental that nearly all of the people posting with this problem report themselves as being an anxious type personality.

Janey1964 - I am 26 years old and was previously running with a theory that it seemed to be females of my age group until I found this post. I don't think it has anything to do with age now. As above, I'm fairly sure it's to do with stress.

Are those who have this symptom sleep deprived at all? I have a 14 month old that keeps me awake frequently at night and I have been wondering whether that could have something to do with it too?
I have a 4 year old who barely sleeps -- didn't sleep through the night until she was 3.  It's been a lot of years of getting by with around 4 hours of sleep total every day for me.

Also, I had my child at 40, almost 41, breast fed for a year.  I think hormones might be a culprit here, too, possibly something to do with childbearing age or maybe the stress hormones have something to do with relaxing/constricting something in the eye?  It's all very curious, that's for sure.  I haven't had a repeat of the spot at all today but now I'm kind of paranoid it will come back!  
I know the feeling. My hubby thinks I'm crazy sometimes cos I will cover one eye and stare blinkingly at the wall for a few minutes trying to check if the spot is there or not.

Congrats on 12 months of breastfeeding. That's a fantastic achievement!

It will be interesting to see if any further replies find similarities regarding the childbearing hormones. That's an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of.
Before I start, I'd like to ask if anyone has consulted Chinese medicine doctors for this problem at all, since western doctors can't seem to have this issue figured out? I am Chinese myself and I know Chinese medicine (when you find a good doctor) is really powerful as it looks at the human body as a whole and it treats the cause of the problem, not just the symptom. Too bad I live in the Midwest; I know there is a super super great doctor in Florida (Orlando area) who cures even cancer (lots of NASA employees are his patients)... I would love to fly to see him if no other eye specialists can give me an answer of my eye problem. Here is his website: http://www.hantang.com/
(If anybody lives in that area, may I suggest you to see this doctor and see what he says? His name is Dr. Nee.)

Ok, here is my eye situation (I am 34, female, really near-sighted):

I have similar problem as you guys, but I've had more complicated situation before. I've had MEWDS (Multiple Evanescent White Dot Syndrome, which caused numerous grey spots in my eye and then disappeared within weeks), then it became CNV, new blood vessels growing and leaking fluid into the retina (with similar result to wet macular degeneration), that causes scarred tissues to form and become permanent blind spots in my center vision. However, that has been stable for a couple of years so far.

However, since last week I've noticed an enlarged natural blind spot... It got real dark and big, and also I have small blind spots popping out at random places. They started as a faint grey area, but soon with a day or two they get bigger and become permanent blind spots. Within one week of time I've seen 2 ophthalmologists because I was afraid that I have new blood vessels growing and leaking blood/fluid into my retina that's causing new scarred tissues/blind spots. But after FA, OTC and visual field test,both doctor could't find anything and couldn't tell me what's wrong with my eye. It's very frustrating because I know I can see them myself, and I can see new blind spots on the Amsler grid as well.... I will see another doctor tomorrow just to get a second opinion.
Just came back from my appointment with a retina doctor. He said he didn't see any inflammation or leaking blood vessels in my eye. He can't tell me why I have blind spots showing up at random places (he can't see them at all during the exam despite that I can see them all over the Amsler chart), and there is nothing he can do.... He agrees that it's very frustrating.

There must be a reason why this is happening to all of us... I think it's time for me to search help in the field of Chinese medicine. If anyone is also trying this route, would you please post your result?