For those with the bright spot when blinking symptom
There are several of us on here who have a similar eye complaint: seeing a bright flash, like the afterimage of a flash bulb, when we blink, and sometimes, on upgaze. This is  transient symptom for most of us, lasting anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. When the "spot" in our visual field passes over a dark background, the spot appears light. When the spot passes over a light background, it appears dark.

So far, the doctors haven't been able to diagnose us, and perhaps that means it is simply some idiopathic phenomenon. But, in any case, I'm wondering what other similarities we might all have that could bring us closer to a an explanation.

For instance, other factors about me which might be clues are:

I take 100 mg of Zoloft a day
I would describe myself as high-anxiety and stress
I clench my teeth, usually on the same side as the effected eye
I have alot of sinus problems around my eyes
I have double vision due to a weak muscle in one eye
I have many floaters and one very prominent one in the eye without the bright spot

How about you?
I have now received official confirmation from my neurologist that there are no abnormalities in my brain relating to these blind spots. The neuro did detect small black spots which are commonly seen in migraine sufferers and has requested I get blood tests to triple check that everything is normal. I go back to see him in a month, but thankfully it does seem as if everything is ok.

After having had this experience though I would highly urge anybody who is having this problem but has nothing wrong with their eyes to seek further consulation from a brain specialist as there are many neurological causes for these types of symptoms and some are quite serious.

Doodle girl - I would be very interested to hear what a chinese medicinist has to say about these symptoms. Please come back and let us know.
Wow, I had left this thread alone for a while and came back last night happy to see some replies. While I do think this has to do with migraines/ stress...I am curious to find that TMJ seems to be related btwn. many people as well. All can say is that this occurred about the time I was diagnosed with TMJ...I also am moderate anxiety and am going through menopause due to hysterectomy from endometriosis. Who knows?

One thing is for sure, my maternal aunt had a grey spot that lasted for a year and finally went away. She, too, is diagnosed with migraines. My grey spot will be here two years this coming summer in June. It came upon after seeing flashing lights...like someone was turning the light off and on real quick (but during the day)....then it appeared out of no where instantly. For the most part, mine sparkles. Yes, there have been times where it appears to be fading....but for the most the only time it is really going is when my eyeball hurts along with my TMJ problem on the same side...almost like the two are connected. I figure if it was something horrendous with my brain after two years I would have already had something else going on. Good to see there are other folks that have had tests come back okay.

If I had to bet my life on it I would say it is migraines...and that the reason it lasts so long is maybe there is an on going migraine problem we are trying to recover from...only problem is, I get them enough to where my eye does not have time to heal. If it has to do with light, then that would be our retina...since that is the only time you can see it is by covering it up and then uncovering it.
Wow, your symptoms are a PERFECT fit with mine, right down to the colour adaption of the scotoma. I also have migraine with aura and grind my teeth and am HIGH anxiety. Hmmm.
I'm so..so..much more comforted to find that I'm not alone with this..
One morning I just woke up to a bunch of ridiculous blind spots just like how you all describe.
I've never seen or experienced anything more disturbing or devastating in my life.
I feel as if I'm going to lose my mind and I'm on the verge of scratching out my eye.
The eye doctor has checked my eye twice due to flashing in my peripheral vision, but said my eye and retina were perfectly healthy.
I'm happy it's healthy but completely devastated she can't find anything.
I have a long history of frequent migraines (14 out of 16 years) but I have NEVER had even the slightest migraine aura, ever.
And when this started, I had no migraine at all.
I'm also nearsighted but not severely.
Enough for glasses.
It has not stopped.
Not even once.
Ongoing now for about a week exactly and is getting worse.
All I can do is cry and cry.
I'm happy I'm not alone but so upset no one else has been able to find an answer.
I'm only 16 and have no idea what to do..I think I almost rather be blind than go through this constant torture.
I thought I'd follow up from December.  I ended up missing my appointment back then and didn't follow up because my spot was gone and I just figured it was just a weird thing that passed.  Then, last week I had one show up in my right eye that was more like a crescent shape -- as if I'd looked at a bright moving light.  Same phenomenon, just a swath instead of a spot.  In four days I had one appear in my LEFT eye, a spot like the one in December, but this one very close to my central vision.  I looked at an Amsler grid online and could see the spot in my left eye.  This freaked me out so I immediately booked an appointment with my eye doctor yesterday.

She spent a long, long, LONG time with my eyes dilated searching the back of both eyes and said that she could find nothing, not a hint of anything amiss and that my eyes looked perfectly healthy. Perfect eye pressure, too.  It's great that I don't have a developing hole in my maculas or detaching retinas or something dire but I'm as frustrated as most of you that either this is just a mysterious, undiagnosable condition OR something neurological.

Next up for me is a retina specialist, but based on what my regular opthalmolagist says I doubt he will reveal anything.  I suppose a neurologist is next if I really want to be thorough, but based on people here it seems that very few find actual problems in that area, either.

My doctor mentioned that this could be migraine-related but I've never had auras appear in only one eye at a time and they've always taken the classic progression and disapperaed within 20 minutes.    

As of today the crescent is dimmer and the spot in my left eye is practically gone.  

I'm wondering if there is a weird structural componant to this.  Like these spots are some form of persistant phosphene based on slight irregularities in eye shape or the way our eyes fit inside our skulls.  I konw I sound crazy trying to sort this out but it is a maddening phenomenon.  

I've also read about weird body symptoms based on having your atlas vertabra out of alignment.  Google atlas vertabra or atlas adjustment and you can read about people who had all kinds of conditions solved by this chiropractic specialty.  It's different than normal chiropratic and only looks at that one vertabra at the base of your skull where your brain stem leaves your head.  

Everything from vision disturbances to hearing problems to chronic pain and systemic disease has been linked to atlas misalignment.  Traditional MDs either dismiss it or don't know about it but Montel Williams was supposedly healed from his chronic pain by getting his atlas adjusted and there is a lot of talk about how if the atlas vertabra at the top of your neck is pushing on the brain stem in a funny way then it can effect the way the brain communicates with other parts of your body.  I know a lot of people think chiropractors are quacks, and I'm very skeptical,  but the idea of pinched nerves affecting their performance makes a basic kind of sense to me.  Plus, I'm willing to look into alternative areas for solutions.  

At this point, and after reading how so many of you never found a reason for these spots, I'm kinda grasping at straws.

I'll post back after my appointment with the retina specialist.  
My TMJ is really bad right now, and I've been waking up with major jaw pain from grinding.  Maybe these are related.
I meant to add that along with TMJ, I have serious neck pain, trigger points in those muscles.  That's what led me to consider that my atlas vertabra may be out of whack.  Anyway, I'll post back after the next doctor visit.
Just thought I'd come back with a final update. I have had further blood tests to completely rule out anything neurological and thankfully again, they turned up nothing. The neuro did note that there were black spots on the MRI that are often seen with migraine hence the logical diagnosis that was what this was, just in a different form to what I usually experience.

I personally still think there is something in the TMJ and Janey1964, if this becomes a problem for me again I will do some research into the atlas vertabra.

I still urge all of you to get this checked by a neuro if your symptoms persist just to be on the safe side.

KerBearKyute - I felt exactly how you describe. It's so panicking when something is affecting your vision. One thing that may be of comfort is that for nearly everyone here the symptoms cleared up within a few weeks. I really hope things get better for you soon.
Thank you, I really appreciate it..
Though I'm not happy you or anyone else has had to go through this.
I've become depressed but I've been trying to distract myself by keeping out of the house more often and trying not to be alone.
My doctor was worried about my low blood levels or something so today at the hospital I had to get some blood work done.
I asked the nurse, very doubtful, if anything wrong with my blood could contribute to blind spots in my left eye and I explained everything.
She said absolutely yes. Numerous things.
I actually cried I was so happy.
She asked if I talked to my Neurologist about it and when I told her all he had his secretary tell me to do was double up on my migraine medication (which hasn't worked), she scowled.
She said they'll do many tests and the results will be in within a few days and she hopes they'll find some answers for me.
I hope so too..
I just want answers..
My aunt (who just got back from the eye dr...and has had a series of tests from her "grey spot") was just given another assuring followup... Just so you don't have to go looking for my post, I, too, suffer from this whole spot in the eye thing that you can see when you blink...mine will be here two years this coming June.

"I told her about my year long silent migraine and the grey spot.  I said the grey spot  went away but when I get into a store or other situations with a bright flash with bright lights like the grocery store my eyes (especially the eye where the grey spot was) seems very sensitive and acts weird.  She began by saying that migraines whether silent or with pain are strange.  She says they are vascular and even though my examination shows nothing out of the norm with the blood vessels or optic nerve  that my grey spot is actually most likely still there and fortunately only shows up and  reacts to lights from time to time.  The grey spot in her opinion never goes away but in some people fades to where you don’t notice it. Unless there is a sudden change of light.  She said people can have silent migraines without a grey spot and no pain and not even know they are having a migraine.  My eyes have not changed since I last went in 2008 so she says.   Hopes this eases your mind some.  "
My experience is similar, but a bit different. My blind spot is silver with light around the edge, comes and goes 5 or more times a day, and doesn't stay for longer than 10 seconds.  Seems like the spot is about 1/4" but really, how can I tell?  It moves when my eye moves, i.e. if I look off to the side, the blind spot doesn't stay, but moves too.  I only see the blind spot in my right eye (I cover my left eye to be sure of this when it occurs).

Funny-weird thing is that if I watch the blind spot, it kinda does a shape-shift and dissolve dance, much like those things in an old fashioned lava lamp can separate and join with one another...but they are kinda shapeless like an amoeba we learned about in high school.

The blind spot has been going on for about 6 weeks, and started out that it would show up only when I opened my eyes after they'd been closed (napping, sleeping). They were not associated with my getting up from bed or the recliner, they were not associated with my rolling over in bed.  I opened my eyes, and then after a second or two, there was the blind spot.

Yup, been to an ophthalmologist. I have one of those "dye" retinal scans coming up with an immediate consult with a retinal specialist.

Very mysterious.  Anyone have the weird "lava lamp" spots???  

My next step is seeing a neurologist because if it's not my eye, then it must be my brain.  I'm not type A, I don't have mercury fillings, I really don't have stress in my life, no TMJ, never had a migraine, and am in pretty good health.

Any ideas???
I am new here. Glad to see others see like me... It is very frustrating trying to tell people who do not have this condition what it is like.

A little background.

As a young adult I had issues with migraines and auras. After a few years of occasional migraines my eyes were left highly sensitive to light changes. A  flash from a camera lasts a lot longer than for me than most people. I have floaters. I am used to these light sensitive blind like spots coming and going. But lately they are staying and I am getting concerned. I am 42.

This past few months have been very stressful for me. And new eye issues came back (not surprisingly), I got a small stomata in right eye off center - just like the ones that everyone else here have described -mostly visible upon light/brightness changes. It seems it is here to stay.

I went to the ophthalmologist and I came out with better than 20/20 vision and no issues on the blind spot test as well. He diagnosed me with entoptic phenomena syndrome.

Today I woke up and I have a new "blind spot" the type you see looking from dark to light and visa versa that is larger and closer to the center of my vision and it is shaped like a C but with less curve. It is much larger and annoying as a quick glance from dark to bright and there is very quick loss of vision in that spot, like in a flash but more gray in color.

I already made an appointment to follow up with my doctor and i think after reading posts here I am going to suggest that I see a neurologist for an MRI.

I think in my case that vision is effected by blood vessel dilatation issues in the brain, I am not sure why now the spots do not fade away like they used to though. I am in Boston area and there are a lot of good doctors. I will check back in later.
Thanks for contributing. I am in precisely the same boat as you  - my spots no longer fade and seem to be larger and more central.
Please post again with the results of your next N-O visit. I'm sorry you are going through this also, but it's great to get input from a fellow undiagnosed sufferer.
Hi all,

I have the same situation and I just found this forum.
I read all the comments, and something seems similar along them:
- some cases of glaucoma in family, migraine with aura, floaters, TMJ.

I thought I may have glaucoma, but I had an eye pressure check and a field of vision check and there were no problems. I will do this reguallary.
On the other hand I'm thinking it may be neurological. I'm left handed and I have the situation for the right eye. Is there any person who has this differently? (E.g. right handed with problem on right eye, or left handed with the problem on left eye).

Also, there were some persons who started this thread 2 years ago. If you come back here, PLEASE add any new updates for your situation.
This is so frustrating. I have two small gray spots on my left eye (color changes depending on what I'm looking at). My eye doc has not found anything. I go back this Friday with Amsler test charts for her to see. One spot is very close to my line of vision and appears to be getting bigger. The other I rarely notice.

I noticed them in May and Friday will only be my 2nd visit to the ophthalmologist (first one 4 weeks ago).

After reading through this thread I must say I am more confused than ever. I do not have TMJ or migraines,  I am not highly stressed and have no history of medical problems at all. I am a 45 year old female in good shape/condition. I eat well and exercise daily. I do wear glasses to read and work. I work on a computer 8-10 hours a day.

Please, people, keep posting your experiences so that we can all learn something. It is so frustrating that the docs don't know what's going on. It is reassuring though that some people have reported that theirs have gone away... there's hope. I just hope that my spots don't start to interfere with my ability to work and drive.

Thanks and good luck to everyone
Sounds odd, but I had this problem for ~2 weeks, then I got a ophtalmic migraine couple of days ago, and the problem is completly gone. I would say this bright spot is some kind of aura, lasting longer.
Anyone else had this spot gone before a migraine?
I am posting an update. If anything, maybe it will reassure someone. If you would like to know my story..just search my user name in this same thread.

As of June 2010, I have now had the same spot in my vision. It never went away and appears as though it will probably not. I only have one spot. It appears as though it has flashing lights within it, but it is primarily gray.

The more my jaw hurts, the more my same eye hurts with the spot, and the more visible the spot is. While I have officially been diagnosed with a TMJ disorder, I also experience migraines as well.

I have an aunt who had a grey spot for about a year. It finally went away. Every time she walks into a particular grocery store with weird lighting, the same spot comes back in the same exact area. I am wondering if somehow a migraine has damaged a particular blood vessel to a certain degree..it somewhat heals in time, and then the spot comes back through same blood vessel.

While I want to continue worrying about it, I have relief that people on here have had extensive testing and nothing ever shows. I just can't believe I have had mine for so long. I really would have thought it would have went away by now. What is weird here is that some people have several and they come and go. Mine has stayed, never had more than one...which leads me to believe I may have permanently injured a blood vessel through a migraine and perhaps it will never go away.

There have actually been times where I thought it was fading, but then I have another silent migraine and it comes back full blast. This also leads me to believe that if I could refrain from experiencing a silent migraine long enough, my blood vessel that is probably causing the gray spot would actually disappear.

I continue to believe that it has something to do with the retina because of the light changes as well...
oops, forgot to add that as of June 2010 it has been TWO YEARS now that I have had the spot.
Hi all...like many of you I am very relieved to find you! I have similar issues with bright spots, grey spots and a similar history! I was wondering if anyone has noted a connection with the weather or barometric pressure? I usually find migraines more frequent when it is high humidity or about to rain...of course, my most recent and worrying bright thing just showed up on a nice, summer day!
Hi there. I was one of the early posters on this thread, so I won't rehash my whole story. Suffice to say same spot issue as your all for past 10= years, lifelong migraine with aura sufferer.
Yes, I absolutely notice a correlation between new spots and the weather. Usually changes in barometric pressure, and right before rain, as you state.
Have you had a full work-up with a retina specialist ? Anything found? I would LOVE for someone to come back here with a diagnosis.