For those with the bright spot when blinking symptom
There are several of us on here who have a similar eye complaint: seeing a bright flash, like the afterimage of a flash bulb, when we blink, and sometimes, on upgaze. This is  transient symptom for most of us, lasting anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. When the "spot" in our visual field passes over a dark background, the spot appears light. When the spot passes over a light background, it appears dark.

So far, the doctors haven't been able to diagnose us, and perhaps that means it is simply some idiopathic phenomenon. But, in any case, I'm wondering what other similarities we might all have that could bring us closer to a an explanation.

For instance, other factors about me which might be clues are:

I take 100 mg of Zoloft a day
I would describe myself as high-anxiety and stress
I clench my teeth, usually on the same side as the effected eye
I have alot of sinus problems around my eyes
I have double vision due to a weak muscle in one eye
I have many floaters and one very prominent one in the eye without the bright spot

How about you?
Similar story, clencher with TMJ and hi-stress personality.  Bad day at work and I developed a bright spot in vision in the lower left quadrant of left eye only. Spot changes color and size and opacity/visibility, looked like scotoma at first.

Went to optometrist: completely healthy, diagnosis: floater.
Multiple visits to Opthalmologist, felt like I've been given every possible test of eye and optic nerve on multiple visits, even have had an MRI of opcipital lobes in brain: Completely healthy, diagnosis; Microscopic Floater.

Don't know if this is a correct diagnosis but I believe it is a physical phenomenon for two reasons:

1: like astroturf, my spot gets bigger and smaller depending on what distance I am looking at. Not only does it get bigger and smaller but it goes in and out of focus. Like a spec of dirt on a camera lens if I am focusing far away it blows up and becomes hazy, if I am focusing on something say an inch away from eye the spot's edges become defined.

2: Upon closer examination my transparent/colored spot has what appears to be a light refraction pattern around it, in fact I believe this is what makes up the majority of my "spot."  Google light refraction and you will see some images of a sphere with a ring around it, every now and then I can see this exact pattern in my spot. It is like a street light on a foggy night or a moon behind a cloud with ice crystals in it.  

I had a Eureka moment where my spot became far less visible, it was after a neck and jaw massage, in fact my vision out of my left eye became better in general.  I am now trying to take better care of my neck, jaw and eye through supplements and massage and my spot has become much more managable, not gone but much better. I am going to try trigger point massage next.

sorry for the long post and the spelling errors, hope this helps. thanks
I identify with most of these symptoms! I was diagnosed with migraine after a long period of emotiona abuse. I get a whole host of other symptoms which ill not go into! I get the typical migraines with visual aura: A black spot appearing, getting bigger, flashing colours, then it goes after avbout 25 mins and im left unable to get out of bed for two days then another happens. Im now on pitzotifen for this reason, and havnt had one since.

However im on here because i too get these 'bright spots' as you all describe. Ive had it a couple of times but its always lasted less long than a migraine aura.. however this morning ive had it there for over 2 hours and getting  worried. I ve had an mri brain scan and hundreds of tests so i know it wont harm but but its annoying! Also, it appears to be in one eye which is worrying as to be migraine it has to be both. Im wondering, how long is the avarage spell of it lasting?
I was so interested and relieved to find this link. My 13 year old daughter had the flu a few weeks ago and was taking adult strength Advil, coughing, feverish. One evening, she started seeing little lightbulb flash spots--3 small ones she could "see" when her eyes were open and closed. This lasted about 4 hours and were gone by morning, except for one lightbulb flash point she still sees when she blinks, these two weeks later.
.
Took her to a pediatric opthamologist. He thought that her optic nerves were perhaps enlarged and sent us to a retina specialist for a consult. Retina specialist (top guy, teaches at a major university) said her nerves were fine, a variation of normal. She had a small "cup"--which made them look that way.

She still sees the lightbulb flash, but the retina specialist was unconcerned. Said it was random and not the sign of anything abnormal--basically waved it away. I was so reliveved!!!

More background: I, her mom, get the occaisional migraine aura--rainbow prism of light, burning little ember type dots, that last about 30 minutes and then pass. I dont get the headache. And yes, both she and I are the anxious types--she felt panicy while her visual symptoms were active.
I am grateful for this link and hope it stays active!

We follow up with the pediatric opthamologist in 3 weeks and will report back if anything significant occurs.

I was just so interested to see this has happened to other people.
Sissyk,

Thanks for your post and please update in three weeks! Glad you received some reassurance, if not an explanation.

Mel

Hi, yes I have the EXACT same spot that appeared 2 weeks ago out of now where. Mine is right eye a bit far right side not center and is a curved quarter circle, looks like a eyelash. It is most apparent when I blink, thus leaving a its black afterimage, regardless of the background. Although may be very black when I half close my eyes to see it, it is very difficult to see it at bright daylight unless I blink or unless I pass my fingers in front to look at it.

Strangely, it appeared few days AFTER I came back from my ophthalmologist check-up. I when to check my eyes b/c of peripheral black strobbing circles which were diagnosed as Ophthalmic migraines. Both my eyes were perfectly fine. But a few days later migraine symptoms continued, nights mostly and this scary line appeared. First I thought it was b/c of an accidental glaze at the sun, which left a strange trail, not spots...but that went away rather quickly, next day this happens. But it doesn't seemed linked at all. So basically, these are the common symptoms I have w/ members on this discussion board:

-- Very nearsighted (about 12.5/20 on both eyes)
-- Natural "cellular" type very "benign" Floaters started 5 years ago
-- Ophtalmique Migraines, regularly, mostly nights and at wake up
-- Frequent Anxiety and panic attacks mostly relating to my eyes
-- ALWAYS worried and stressed out personality!
-- Had a Ophtalmologist check up a month ago and both my eyes are perfectly healthy.
-- ALWAYS on the computer, several; hours a day !
-- No health issues a part from a long 2 week long skin rash that is still not going away.
-- Zero hard drugs / alcohol regularly but very moderate / cigarette very occasionally one every 3 days.
-- Thin and short, and female...

Well, that's it. Also, I would like to point out a theory....it could be that after our check up, some floaters just moved around and are repositioned in a particular place where light refracts in the eye thus leaving/casting a bigger shadow on the retina and the floater therefore is MUCH more apparent. we shouldn't forget that the other floaters we see, which don't bother us are actually shadow's of the floater and NOT the floater itself....which pretty sums up what I think these afterimages left after we blink are....So...could this perhaps be the same floater that has now been repositioned to catch and refract more light thus leaving a bigger / different shadow, and its "unbearable" afterimage?

I am still on the fence about going back for a checkup since I just came back 3 weeks ago and this happened 2 weeks ago. This curved line is here since and I am 100% focused on it.

I wait for more news from you:-)
I'm having the same problem! I had a spot appear in January, went to two ophthalmologists and and neurophthalmologist, none of whom could find anything wrong and had no real answers for what was causing the spots. The afternoon after my neuro appointment I ended up getting 2 new spots. :( I have both temporary and permanent spots, and my perm ones break the amsler grid lines with little missing bits of nothing.

my stats:
nearsighted since I was a teen, and have had normal floaters since then.
female, mid 30s.
skinny and pale
heavy computer user
anxiety and depression treated with Paxil and Buspar. I'm always anxious about health issues but I never worried about my eyes before.
Bruxism at night, from the Paxil probably
on low dose birth control pill
I was supplementing Vitamin D, 2000 a day since october, on my GPs orders. Have any of you been taking vit D? I stopped after the first spot appeared, then after the neuro (who seemed to think the whole thing was kind of funny) told me it couldn't have anything to do with it I took a dose then got more perm. spots that very day! I stopped for a while, didn't get any more permanent spots for a few weeks (lots of temp ones though on and off, including a weird one that would appear as a shadow after looking at a light), then just on friday I took a half a dose and the next day I got 2 more permanent seeming spots. :( It seems crazy though, how could Vit D possibly cause this?
Hello ....
It's reassuring to realize I am not the only person suffering from this condition. I'm a (relatively) healthy 38 year old Canadian male who until very recently has never had any sort of issue with my vision. 20/20 - no eye health concerns ever.
I smoke cigarettes & marijuana frequently, drink occasionally, and consume average amounts of caffeine daily. Other than occasional use of Ventolin and Advil - I use no pharmaceutical drugs EVER.
I guess I suffer from mild anxiety, but I have never felt the need to medicate that. I also clench my jaw (primarily while sleeping) and find myself in front of a computer for sometimes six to eight hours a day.  

Six or seven weeks ago I woke up early on a bright sunny morning, and decided to take a walk to the store nearby. As soon as I opened the door to leave the house I noticed a large bright spot centrally located in my right eye's field of vision. I thought it was because I casually looked up into the bright morning sunshine, and that it would gradually fade (like all other instances where I've been flashed by a camera or looked into a bright light of any sort) given a short amount of time.

I returned home (to a somewhat dark environment) and was less aware of it  however when I woke the following day, I realized it hadn't gone anywhere - and was equally visible as the previous morning outside the house during my walk. This occurred approximately six weeks ago, and has not subsided. I would describe it as bright & circular, varying in color & intensity, more apparent when contrasted by brighter light. It DOES NOT MOVE LIKE A FLOATER - I've had a couple of those detectable since childhood. It is amplified by blinking the eye rapidly, making it more pronounced. I have no history of headaches (other than VERY occasional ones) and would not describe them in the same way I've heard migraines described. Since that morning - I've had them regularly. Not overwhelming in nature, but noticable all the same.

I'm unable to see an opth. in my hometown until June 2, 2011 - and I'm totally worried (based on what I've read from people suffering the same way) that even when I do get to speak to him/her, I will get no relief from this feeling. Due to the darker resolution of the right eye it's interfering with spatial perception between the right/left hemispheres, and is definitelty problematic for night driving due to the after effects of bright headlights lasting for minutes or seconds in duration.

Thanks to all who've posted here, I will follow up and post any useful info here after I attend the scheduled opth. appointment.
I truly hope this frustrating phenomena is not permanent.  
Hi! I'm not a doctor, but I can tell you that I've been having issues with this long before I was diagnosed as Vit D deficient! I have been on serious amounts of D for months, now down to 5,000 units a day with no difference in the appearance or behaviour of the "spots"...so, don't stop this wonderful 'sunshine vitamin' that is supposed to be protective for so much, until you are told to...and let us know how you are doing...

Just a short positive update on my condition.

I forgot to mention I am 36 year old female and very anxious about health issues in general, like most on this forum.

I've noticed that this particular bright spot I've been having (please read my precedent post for details) has diminished since a week now. I almost never see it now. So this might be useful to know for some of you who are panicking w/ this symptom!

For those who are very concerned my advice is:
First go to the Ophthalmologist for a retinal check -up....and 99.999% of the time he/she will tell you all is fine. After do so anti-anxiety treatments or exercises. I believe all my vision problems started w/ high anxiety events that occurred in my personal life and also being unable to cope w/ stress and anxiety my body and especially my brain is freaky out, literally!

I am guessing it was perhaps a floater positioned differently like I thought even though it wasn't behaving like one. It first appeared after I glazed at the afternoon sun accidently approx. 6 weeks ago and 3 days AFTER my ophthalmologist retinal check-up. It first started at night, it was dark and my pupils were greatly dilated in the dark so when I was going to bed and opened up the shades of the window, I thought something very bright from outside, light might lamps cached by eyes and I suddenly saw a very  bright flash of light.

Being very anxious I panicked and closed my eyes and it was going away so I fell asleep. I woke up and the bright light was gone BUT this line/spot stayed w/ me for weeks. It was VERY disturbing at first since I saw it very clearly day and night like an afterimage but I am happy to say that now it is VERY subtle, I almost NEVER see it and it completely healed up or if it was a floater positioned to close to the retinal, it perhaps moved OR simply my brain has learned not to see it anymore.

I never ever took vitamin D but reading this forum, I wonder if it is related b/c the day it started, I did accidentally glaze at the sun which by itself a LARGE doze of vitamin D?!?? but that is just hypothetic...perhaps not linked at all.

all I know ids that when I had this spot, I saw it ALL the time, especially at artificial lights and ESPECIALLY in the bathroom while taking a shower which made me go nuts and I started being anxious while taking showers since then!!! it was unbearable and my family/BF were very irritated and thought I was imagining things since they see me as VERY anxious and a complete hypochondriac.

I did not go for another check-up since I was concerned by my rash. The dermatologist said it was just an irritation and gave me a cream and it healed up after 14 days. Now, my rash is gone, my "spot" is relatively gone BUT I still have this awful vision at night, same one that made me go to a retinal check-up in the first place. A sort of flickering in my side vision happening at night mostly which was diagnosed at ophthalmic migraine and since a week now I've noticed visual Snow!! Well, I don't have to mention how scared I got thinking that my doctor must have not overlooked something but reading some sites about Visual snow I sincerely think that being anxious, we all start "looking" at how we look....and we start seeing and focusing on visual phenomenon that our  brain was compensating all this time and since we are focusing on it, the brain is seeing it more and more making it unbearable.

PS I've had support from my BF concerning my rash but anything related to my vision is being seeing as delirious confirming my level of high anxiety related symptoms as well as depression linked symptoms. Everybody around me is certain I am a hypochondriac and I am starting to believe it also. I hope my post helps others worry less about their symptoms.

Please give me news ASAP and update on each of your conditions and PLEASE do not worry....worrying only make things worse also thinking there is a catastrophe is absurd. The eye is mechanical and real illnesses don't just appear and they are certainly not subtle and magical! These spots are temporary and normal weaknesses of the vision and we have to live w/ them and ignore them once we once he know our eyes are fine.

Please do not hesitate to post any updates on your situation:-)
Kind regards
Anartamis
Hi again,

Just wanted to add that although I can still see the spot, it has strongly diminished. Its afterimage is not as dark anymore and it has become a slimmer line instead of a more apparent thick line. Since, like most of you on this discussion board, it all started a few days after my retinal check exam (with the bright mirror and light) this leads me to believe that it might have something to do with that. Can it be a secondary effect of the exam? Some say that the liquid they put to dilate the pupil in order to do the exam can trigger weaknesses in the eye. Can it be simply that the surface got irritated from that and needs a few weeks to recover since it does look to me like it is something that is slowly going away or simply a floater that is awkwardly positioned. I still don't know if a complete Ophthalmologist exam is necessary or it is simply anxiety related. Either way, it is very puzzling.

Keep us updated:-)
I see something like what you described, but it's not permanent and only happens occasionally- not in the same area either. I also take Zoloft daily.
Along with this I also see bright split second spots of light less often, and dim blotches of color that are similar to the first ones.
Dear All,

I have suffered similar symptoms (permanent after-images reducing to small scotomas) twice after taking Nurofen Express Capsules, which contain Ibuprofen. I see also one poster on this forum (sissyK) reporting that her daughter experienced similar symptoms after taking Advil, which also contains Ibuprofen. I Googled  - ibuprofen scotoma - or - ibuprofen vision side effects -- and found that scotomas, colour perception changes and other visual disturbances are a reported side effect of Ibuprofen. Do any of you regularly take medications that contain Ibuprofen?

Kind regards,
Alex
Hi Alex,
No, I only take Tylenol when needed which is mostly Aceminatophen not Ibuprofen...I take sometimes for 3 days in a row 2 times a day then stop for a week so I wouldn't say very regularly. I take, the Extra-Strength kind.
In my case, it is definitely not anything concerning the eyes, as all the exams came out just fine. I am guessing, like Alex, that this could be medication or allergy related symptoms.
Hi Anartamis,

Thanks for your answer! I should add that I had multiple eye tests, including dilated exams by three different specialists and OCT and they also revealed nothing. Visual Field Test also came out 100% fine because the scotomas are too small and not 100% opaque. My two incidents were two months apart, and the first scotoma is still persisting these two and a half months later, although it's gradually reducing in size.

I think that in my case it's the optic nerve that's the problem and was caused by a drug or its interaction with something. There is a list of drugs that are toxic to the eye here:
http://cms.revoptom.com/handbook/oct02_sec6_2.htm
Interestingly, Zoloft is also listed there, as mentioned by Astroturf and Zeppelyn.
Also, something else that I found, and thought I should mention:
http://www.rense.com/general65/aspar.htm
There appear to be some infrequent but persistent reports by health practitioners online that Aspartame, found in Diet Coke and in artificial sweeteners, can be toxic to the optic nerve and to the retina. I am thinking (though of course it's impossible to confirm and it's only my best guess based on internet research!) that what triggered my two incidents may have been the combination of a hazardous food additive like aspartame with the drug that has vision side effects (as far as I can remember I took Nurofen capsules and washed them down with Diet Coke, both times). Or it could have been either of those, acting individually.

Kind regards,
Alexei
I've had this problem on and off for seven years. I think it relates to dehydration or food allergies. I notice the spots more when I eat certain foods or drink a lot of caffeine. I use the restroom about 20 times a day. I just can't seem to keep myself hydrated. It feels like water just goes right through me. I am currently being tested for multiple things.
A quick follow-up to my last post.
*A more extensive list of drugs that can cause vision problems:
http://is.gd/YLZY8P
*An article by an Optometric Doctor about drug toxicity to the eye:
http://is.gd/ToK5YL
where he specifically states that "I have personally documented a case of permanent visual field scotoma following administration of Advil (ibuprofen, Wyeth)." and " As was the case with our patient with the perplexing blurred vision, any new and/or unexplained ocular symptom should prompt you to consider an adverse side effect of systemic medication."
*Finally, something else I found regarding aspartame's toxicity to the eye and my suspicions of ibuprofen interacting with aspartame in Diet Coke, causing/aggravating the blind spots:
http://is.gd/KIDIpR
Specifically: "These complications tend to be magnified in persons with [...]  treatment with aspirin and other drugs that can irritate the optic and auditory nerves ..."

I have read through this thread and a number of related ones on this website, and I am surprised that no doctor has mentioned the possibility of toxic damage to the retina and the optic nerve. Toxic retinopathy and toxic optic neuropathy seem to be well-recognised conditions.
I can see a bright spot everytime I blink.  The spot stays in the same position every blink.  So I went to the optometrist and she found a blood hemorrhage in the dark part of my eye.  The whites of my eye are unaffected so when I look in the mirror everything looks fine.  The hemorrhage should clear up on its own.  I wanted to post this because I drove myself crazy trying to self diagnose myself on the internet and if someone else had this same problem of seeing a spot when blinking that it may just be a hemorrhage.
Fyi... I am a healthy 31yr old male.  I am not on any medication.  I don't know what caused the hemorrhage, it seemed to appear out of the blue.
Is anyone else out there? Did your eye symptoms clear up? I've had the same flashies
When I blink or watch tv or on the computer. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone respond and let me know. Very anxious. Went to the doctor and 2 opthomologists and nothing detected.
Please just let me know how you guys did. My sympts are a light in upper left section of my left eye which is light against dark but shaded against light, and sometime yellow. It never moves. I domt get headaches though.
Please help.
Eoin
Hello Everyone,

I just posted a new entry and then found this entry.  So I thought I'd add my situation here.

It is this:

Sometimes when I blink my eyes I will see a small circle of light as an after image in the center of the field of vision.  This happens three to five times a week.   Sometimes more than that.

This has been going on for at least three to five years.  Maybe longer
Recently I noticed that it is not the blinking that causes this transient circle, but moving from dark to light or the reverse.  If I hold my hand over either eye while the eye is open and remove it fast, the circle is there and then fades.

The circle (donut shape) itself is small and again is in the center of the field.  It last around one second before fading.
The phenomenon itself clears usually within an hour or so and can happen more than once a day.

Differential:
Stroke
Migraine (ocular, retinal, other)
Something mechanically wrong with eye
Neurological
Blood vessels in neck
Not eating properly depriving the blood of something needed by optical nerves in brain or eye

Some things that seem to affect this are:
• Ambient light  (seems like a more muted light ambience can encourage this to happen)
• Being tired (this is a guess)
• Time of day (more later in the day than earlier in the day)
• I went a day without this happening.  I was in bright light most of the day, office and outside

I had thought the physical action of the blink was the cause.  Now that is proven not the case, but rather the rapid transition from dark to light in the field of vision.

So I guess there are quite a few people with this syndrome.   I sure would appreciate any comments to my post.  Unfortunately I do not have any answers.  Many thanks.