Eye Care Expert Forum
Fovea repair
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Fovea repair

Since my friend may have permanent damage to his fovea due to scar tissue, what can he do to prevent further injury from increasing damage and/or reduce the damage already done to this area?  Also, are scientist studying this part of the eye to repair damage to this very delicate part of the eye that comprises of less than 1% of the retinal size, but takes up over 50% of the visual cortex in the brain? I know that this part of the eye has been operated on before and can you tell me what the outcomes have been?  I am very optimistic due to the fact, that he is in his early 20's and science has come a long way in research for many miracles to occur.  What is the study called for this area of the retina and is there a foundation set up to assist financially for research?