Eye Care Community
Fractured orbital bone leading to a difference in pupil dialation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Let me just start with with.... I am in a very weird situation because this is a problem that i should have dealt with a long time ago. I am very worried about my eye and psychological health. I have an appointment to see an opthamologist september 14th but i'd like your help to find out whether or not i need to see one today.
  So here is my situation... I was assaulted about 5-6 years ago, fractured my orbital bone, never went to see a doctor (because I am dumb and was only 14 or fifteen), and have lived to see the bone heal in a manner that makes it point down jaggedly toward my eye. I believe that my intraocular pressure is different from my other eye because of this. In my right eye the pupil is always smaller than my left-- sometimes about two-thirds the size-- and is never dilated to as full as my other eye can be. My peripheral vision is worse in my right eye, my eye feels like its always being squished and i think that this might lead to headaches.
  Does anyone have advice? And has anyone ever heard of a case like this before? I am worried that this could lead to glaucoma or something related. I think that I've managed to procrastinate this problem for so long due to the fact that I was never the same after this had happened and had been keeping my my blood thinned inevitably in order to reduce my headaches. It is only now that i have begun to worry about my health and have been told to see an opthomologist through a walk-in-clinic. I don't know for sure if my one eye being squished can lead to psychological problems but any info that anyone has would be greatly appreciated. If it is an option I am willing to get my fracture re-broken or shaven down to release the pressure. I truly believe that my eye needs to be fixed, even at the motion of sounding hypochondriac-tic.
I feel like I'm "Two-Faced" through my eyes.
**I have a hard time looking people in the eyes, I feel like "two-faced" through my eyes, and I feel like it reflects in my personality.**
You should see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible. You should have seen one when you had the original original injury. You may have multiple problems including neglected orbital blow out fracture and displaced orbital rim fracture, traumatic iridoplegia (pupil problem), and possible retinal damage or detachment.

JCH MD
Thank you

=
ok.... well now..        I printed this conversation and showed it to my walk-in clinic doctor. He then emailed it to the opthalmologist that I have an appointment with on September 14th.
I've tried make an appointment to see an opthalmologist for earlier than sept 14th but the walk in clinic and the opthalmologists' office have told me that only once it has gotten bad enough can i go see an on-call opthalmologist at the hospital and that they can't get me in any sooner than that. At what point in size, compared to my other pupil, is this serious enough to go to the on-call doctor at the emergency hospital? And what else do I need to look out for in my eyes to make sure that it doesn't become irreversible?   --Thank you in advance for your time.     Three months to me with a pupil that becomes twice the size of the other is something that i have a hard time waiting for because I don't know how to judge how bad it may become.
There is no way I can tell if waiting will cause any more problems given how long its been.However since you have so much mental angst you might try the ER route. I know that most of our Canadian posters say its impossible to make things happen quickly in the health care system.

JCH MD